Bottleneck?

LurzKesh1138

The FX cpu architecture was designed almost a decade ago. Although they have made refinements and small upgrades since, the IPC cannot feed modern flagship graphic cards with enough instructions to help the graphic card reach it's potential. This is a directX bottleneck that DX12 hopes to alleviate. A single 780 will be cpu bound with an fx 8 core, let alone 2 780's.

People often forget, the cpu is instructing the GPU, not the other way around. The GPU is just a brainless work horse that does what the cpu tells it to do. The API and drivers are the actual bottleneck. always were, always will be.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The FX cpu architecture was designed almost a decade ago. Although they have made refinements and small upgrades since, the IPC cannot feed modern flagship graphic cards with enough instructions to help the graphic card reach it's potential. This is a directX bottleneck that DX12 hopes to alleviate. A single 780 will be cpu bound with an fx 8 core, let alone 2 780's.

People often forget, the cpu is instructing the GPU, not the other way around. The GPU is just a brainless work horse that does what the cpu tells it to do. The API and drivers are the actual bottleneck. always were, always will be.

yes, can't wait for DX12.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

How about a r9 290 with core i5 4440

Sounds good

RIP in pepperonis m8s

monitor your GPU loads in games with msi afterburner and turn off vsync before you make stupid claims like that...of course it does unless you game at 1440p or higher resolution.

My 4.6GHZ FX-8320 was a major bottleneck to my SINGLE GTX 780 in many games.

Stupid claims? I have monitored my GPU during games. And I notice GPU usage dropping at expected times while staying at or near 100% almost every other time during the game.

But then I also don't game at 1440p or higher because I don't care about 1440p or higher resolutions. 1080p works perfectly fine for me, and my system can deliver without any problem. I'm not going for super ultra-high resolutions with framerates faster than your eye can see, let alone what my monitors can actually display. Obviously if you're going for that, you're not going to be running AMD, but you're also not going to be running a 3rd generation Intel, and probably not even a 4th generation. You're probably going to have a 5th generation Intel with multiple 980s.

In any gaming system, one of two things will be true: either your CPU's going to hold back your graphics card(s), or your graphics card(s) will hold back your CPU. You can get better gaming performance by upgrading your graphics cards, to an extent. You can get better gaming performance by upgrading your CPU, but to an extent. Obviously it's best to upgrade the two together, but not everyone can do that. So the question comes down to what performance are you seeking, and can your system deliver it? If no, then figure out what to upgrade. And my system can deliver what I want.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Would sli 780's be bottlenecked by a 4.4ghz fx 8120 w/8gb of ram? I'm thinking itd be fine but would like some outside feedback

Throw that bulldozer out the window with sli 780s LOL

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG