(joyful tone) Wii finally died... need suggestions

bcredeur97

For a while now, I've been out of the family room because my family enjoys watching 480p shows and movies on Netflix on a 1080p panel... It looks terrible and isn't enjoyable at all to me when my $35 raspberry pi watching a 30mbps 1080p movie over plex is completely stunning compared to it.... 

We don't have TV. And because we don't, we pay extra for internet and have 120Mbps which is plenty for content. MythTV would probably be a solution to our reason for hating TV (why is 30% of a show that you pay to watch ADS?!) but tbh its kind of nice not watching TV all the time, get a lot more done during the day.

But anyway today our Wii finally died, and My raspberry pi isn't going to be enough to replace it thanks to lack of Netflix support on raspbmc. Now I can buy PlayOn for $45 and be able to do netflix in 720p with the Pi but I don't really like playOn much and theres a big difference between 720 and 1080p....

So i need something to replace the wii. My family isn't going to be happy when I tell them and likely aren't going to want to spend much money so I need something cost effective. I want a NUC or a BRIX but that probably isn't going to happen. I need something that is going to do everything I need which is mostly PLEX and Netflix and in 1080p @ a good bitrate (my raspberry pi can handle about 30mbit/s smoothly I find, so it works quite well for my plex movies. I run the server on a 3570K, which can transcode fine if needed. 

So what do you guys suggest? I was thinking a roku but I really want XBMC/Kodi if at all possible (i doubt it will be, but thats why I'm asking) 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Chrome Cast?

Ive thought about that but its only a streaming client.. I prefer an actual device that the software physically runs on so I don't have to rely on other devices in order to watch a movie/show. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Amazon Fire TV

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Ive thought about that but its only a streaming client.. I prefer an actual device that the software physically runs on so I don't have to rely on other devices in order to watch a movie/show.

what about an android tv device. Like the chromecast but runs android.

Steve

Ok how about a nexus player then http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Nexus-Player-Google-ASUS/dp/B00S8U5A7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425347181&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+playerabout $90 on amazon.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

I think this is going to be the ticket my friend.... 

I know XBMC/Kodi runs on android, but can netflix run inside of XBMC/Kodi on it? (its ok if it doesn't there is always the netflix app, that would just be icing on the cake for me)

No SD card slot is really the only bummer for me. but it has a USB port (adapter?) 

Spoiler

Android TV device is a good bet. Or Apple TV if you have other Apple devices.

Though (unsure on your budget, but aBRIX would be ideal, so I think you're on the right thought train there) I'd get a small, moderately capable gaming PC because not only will that play movies, it will play your Wii games in glorious HD (it is really cool). But almost definitely not worth it, unless you play alot of Wii/Gamecube games.