14 year old WD HDD

Griffscavern
Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

Get a IDE to SATA converter.

Or he could even get an IDE to USB adapter, then just plug it into a USB port (probably will need a power brick too) and fire it up.

Ok. I have a 14 yo 20 GB hdd from an old gateway comp I bought in 2001. Its obviously pata, but the comp I am building is data 3. If the drive still works, haven't had it in a comp since 2007 or 8, how can I go about retrieving the personal stuff off of it?

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Or he could even get an IDE to USB adapter, then just plug it into a USB port (probably will need a power brick too) and fire it up.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

That too, but that's too easy :P

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Power brick?

Also, the HDD still has windows me on it. Will that cause a conflict in any way?

Power brick?

like these:38ajx.jpg except probably a bit smaller.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

like these:38ajx.jpg except probably a bit smaller.

Yeah, after I asked the question it dawned on me like a 2 ton heavy thing. ;) I'm looking them up right now and actually found the whole setup, power supply, and all the adapters for like 20 bucks, locally. So in a couple of days I'll be getting it.

Thanks

Ok. I have a 14 yo 20 GB hdd from an old gateway comp I bought in 2001. Its obviously pata, but the comp I am building is data 3. If the drive still works, haven't had it in a comp since 2007 or 8, how can I go about retrieving the personal stuff off of it?

Hey Griffscavern,

Do tell if the drive is still working :) As the guys said, you can either get a docking station or an enclosure for a PATA drive, if you just need to get the data off, or you can get an adapter to use it inside your computer. Do perform a drive check with a diagnostic tool if you plan to store data on it in order to make sure the drive is safe to do so. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey Griffscavern,

Do tell if the drive is still working :) As the guys said, you can either get a docking station or an enclosure for a PATA drive, if you just need to get the data off, or you can get an adapter to use it inside your computer. Do perform a drive check with a diagnostic tool if you plan to store data on it in order to make sure the drive is safe to do so.

Captain_WD.

Hi Captain_WD,

I will let you know. It may be a while though. Still have to get the funds together to buy the build. I have the desk, case, and the monitor. Nothing in between though. Lol I bought the other stuff to seal the fact that I will have to do the rest of it. Later I will let you know exactly which HDD it is too. I'm sure you'd like the battle tested feedback on a WD drive. The last time I used it in, I believe, 2007 or 2008 it was still running strong. Not bad for a 6 or 7 yo drive. Imo

Hi Captain_WD,

I will let you know. It may be a while though. Still have to get the funds together to buy the build. I have the desk, case, and the monitor. Nothing in between though. Lol I bought the other stuff to seal the fact that I will have to do the rest of it. Later I will let you know exactly which HDD it is too. I'm sure you'd like the battle tested feedback on a WD drive. The last time I used it in, I believe, 2007 or 2008 it was still running strong. Not bad for a 6 or 7 yo drive. Imo

Yes, it is a rather good lifespan for a regular HDD. :) I would love to see a S.M.A.R.T. status as well as Power On Count and Power On Hours screenshots. Since it is an older drive I would recommend using it with more caution as older drives tend to have less reliable features in terms of dealing with vibrations, intensive workloads or RAID arrays.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Yes, it is a rather good lifespan for a regular HDD. :) I would love to see a S.M.A.R.T. status as well as Power On Count and Power On Hours screenshots. Since it is an older drive I would recommend using it with more caution as older drives tend to have less reliable features in terms of dealing with vibrations, intensive workloads or RAID arrays.

Captain_WD.

Oh yeah I hear you. While it served me well for quite a few years, I won't be using it anymore. Just need to get some pics off of it and possibly other stuff. Then it will be out to pasture. 20 GB just won't go very far these days. I'll keep you posted.