Is it time to upgrade?

Hey, so I built my first PC in 2011 and I've only added an SSD to it and have upgraded the GPU once and was wondering if it was finally time to upgrade!

CPU: Intel i7-2600k

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3

RAM: Kingston 8GB (can't remember model name)

GPU: MSi TwinFrozr GTX 660ti

PSU: Seasonic 850W

I haven't tweaked anything in a while as it's been running perfectly for years but some recent games have started to feel sluggish. I play at 1080p but I recently added a 2nd 1080p monitor as I've started livestreaming. Dying Light and Total War: Attila really show the age of my PC but the latter doesn't seem to be optimized quite yet.

Anyway any advice is appreciated. I don't really want to go SLi 660ti because it seems that SLi just overcomplicates things as the game has to be compatible and I'd rather get one new card and sell the old than getting a 2nd old card that I'll have to then try selling later on.

Thanks in advance!

Nah. Upgrade to a 380x/280x and you could rock that thing in to 2017 if you play your cards right!

I forgot to mention but when I was younger I always got AMD and ATI because it was my dad paying and all we had was bad experiences with their products. As soon as I built my own PC I went Intel and Nvidia and I've never had an issue so until I do I'll be sticking with them!

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Hey, so I built my first PC in 2011 and I've only added an SSD to it and have upgraded the GPU once and was wondering if it was finally time to upgrade!

CPU: Intel i7-2600k

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3

RAM: Kingston 8GB (can't remember model name)

GPU: MSi TwinFrozr GTX 660ti

PSU: Seasonic 850W

I haven't tweaked anything in a while as it's been running perfectly for years but some recent games have started to feel sluggish. I play at 1080p but I recently added a 2nd 1080p monitor as I've started livestreaming. Dying Light and Total War: Attila really show the age of my PC but the latter doesn't seem to be optimized quite yet.

Anyway any advice is appreciated. I don't really want to go SLi 660ti because it seems that SLi just overcomplicates things as the game has to be compatible and I'd rather get one new card and sell the old than getting a 2nd old card that I'll have to then try selling later on.

Thanks in advance!

Nothing really runs TW:Attila very well unless you turn down the settings. Get a 980 if your budget allows it.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

-

That CPU, if you overclock it, can still handle current GPUs without a problem and 8GB of RAM are enough for most users. So if you wanna upgrade anything just get a better GPU and you'll be fine.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Nothing really runs TW:Attila very well unless you turn down the settings. Get a 980 if your budget allows it.

Is a 980 really worth the cost? What kind of performance increase would I be getting?

That CPU, if you overclock it, can still handle current GPUs without a problem and 8GB of RAM are enough for most users. So if you wanna upgrade anything just get a better GPU and you'll be fine.

I've actually got it overclocked to 4.8GHz at the moment. I find it very odd that it still performs so well considering I got it in 2011. I'm also a total noob overclocker, I followed a guide years ago and got it to 4.9 but toned it down to 4.8 just to be safe aha

Is a 980 really worth the cost? What kind of performance increase would I be getting?

I've actually got it overclocked to 4.8GHz at the moment. I find it very odd that it still performs so well considering I got it in 2011. I'm also a total noob overclocker, I followed a guide years ago and got it to 4.9 but toned it down to 4.8 just to be safe aha

It was just one of those great CPU's at the time that runs pretty cool and overclocks extremely well. And there hasn't really been a big leap in CPU performance since then anyways so it still holds up.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I forgot to mention but when I was younger I always got AMD and ATI because it was my dad paying and all we had was bad experiences with their products. As soon as I built my own PC I went Intel and Nvidia and I've never had an issue so until I do I'll be sticking with them!

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

bah

I had an old 5770 amd card, that went up to 90c whenever under load, lasted 6 years. xD

All the same shit, really, but we all have preferences haha

Thanks for the suggestions! 

I was wondering if a GTX 980 would really be worth the upgrade at this point? I'm kind of stuck as I'd like to get a third monitor in my setup but then I'm assuming I'll need a new GPU to handle it? I was looking at a nice 24" AOC 144hz. I've had an 120hz for a few years and I absolutely love it.

Also my motherboard feels super outdated as it never received a UEFI update that actually worked. The latest was at the end of 2013 and it was a beta UEFI that made my USB 3.0 not work (known issue with the BIOS update) and some other various problems. Would a new mobo/CPU not give any sort of performance increase?

I mean it might due to the fact that its new tec but ur old i7 seems like it should not bottleneck anything and a gtx 660 ti to a 980 = large increase