Does headphone wiring change the sound?

bacosta1993

Okay so I did the detachable cable mod on my ATH M50s and I couldn't for the life of me solder the wires onto the jack. I finally got fed up and I ripped out the original wires and replaced them with my own. 

I could be wrong but I swear they sound louder than before. Is my mind playing tricks on me or does changing the wiring on headphones change the sound?

Only if it was faulty wires. Also louder doesnt really mean much. Too many variables in place from when you replaced the wires. Most likely it's in your head but Im not you so if its louder for you than who am I to say otherwise :)

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

They do change the sound, but only a bit since there's different types of materials and gauges, but most of the quality is from the driver.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

They do change the sound, but only a bit since there's different types of materials and gauges, but most of the quality is from the driver.

I used regular 22AWG wire and it was way easier to work with than the stock wires. 

So I may or may not have changed the sound? 

I used regular 22AWG wire and it was way easier to work with than the stock wires. 

So I may or may not have changed the sound? 

The sound should be the same, it only changes if a wire is defective :)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

The sound should be the same, it only changes if a wire is defective :)

Okay so after I read your post I tested my cables. 

I have a VModa cable that i have been using and it sounds nice and loud. Then I plugged in my cheap Mediabridge cable and it is defiantly more quiet. 

I think they just use a cheap audio cable.

Edit: I think i read somewhere that some cables have higher impedance. I don't know if that is true or not? Could that be the reason they sound louder? 

Cables can alter the sound, but it should be negligible like Mr beans said. A higher impedance stock cable is probably what you're experiencing if the only difference you can tell is volume.

I think i read somewhere that some cables have higher impedance. I don't know if that is true or not? Could that be the reason they sound louder? 

Certain metals have different resistances. It can effect the volume you need to use but I don't think it actually effects sound quality. Once you control for the differences in volume people can't tell the difference.

The only real difference you get with after-market cables is different ergonomics and microphonics. Some cables, if you flick them, transmit that noise directly to your ears in a painful way. Some do not. Some you can hear as they scrape along any surface, others you don't. The cable that comes with the Hifiman HE-500 is a nightmare. It's crazy stiff and if it hits ANYTHING you'll hear it in your headphones. I had to replace it with a custom one that was individually braided and wrapped in cloth. Way more flexible, no sound travels up the cable.

But yeah, aside from stuff like that you don't get much of a benefit from custom cables.

Cables kinda act like a filter, and it can alter the sound. It's minuscule and astronomical though. Some people can hear it, others can't. 

Being louder corresponds to the material's resistance, which in AC signal, it's called impedance. For example, a copper and a silver cable with the exact same gauge, the silver cable will sound slightly louder due to the material's better conductivity. 

Cables kinda act like a filter, and it can alter the sound. It's minuscule and astronomical though. Some people can hear it, others can't. 

Being louder corresponds to the material's resistance, which in AC signal, it's called impedance. For example, a copper and a silver cable with the exact same gauge, the silver cable will sound slightly louder due to the material's better conductivity. 

I'm having a hard time with the whole... "Some can some can't" Seems a bit far-fetched IMO.

I think it's more along the lines of "some can hear their $500 cable whispering "hey I cost $500 so I must sound better!", and some are smart and don't buy a $500 cable in the first place"

130208_Blog_HeadphoneCableMeasurements_G130208_Blog_HeadphoneCableMeasurements_G

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'm having a hard time with the whole... "Some can some can't" Seems a bit far-fetched IMO.

I think it's more along the lines of "some can hear their $500 cable whispering "hey I cost $500 so I must sound better!", and some are smart and don't buy a $500 cable in the first place"

Well, in my experience, they (different cables) do alter the sounds (obviously, from my last post). Not necessarily better or worse, just different. Problem is it's kinda hard to reproduce it by recording the results. I hate/blame directsound. Big suspicion that directsound do something in between converting analog to digital signal. What differences that are already minuscule to be heard when going straight to headphones, become harder to hear after being recorded. 

Tried it anyway tho. Plugged 2 different interconnect m2m cables from Ipad's LOD to PC's line in. Recorded with audacity.

Here's the files that I recorded and did ABX on: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=68323746614836245582(direct download, PCM WAV, virus free, 7.5MB).

There are 2 files inside, 'elec' and 'amtrans'. Elec is some generic copper cables I found, amtrans is solid core copper with gold plated cable (amtrans.co.jp). They're replay-gain processed, so they're ready to load into foobar to be ABX tested.

abx_zpsda3b7c7f.jpg

foo_abx 1.3.4 report

foobar2000 v1.2.9

2015/02/22 03:44:28

File A: F:\mp3\teskabel\tes10\amtrans.wav

File B: F:\mp3\teskabel\tes10\elec.wav

03:44:28 : Test started.

03:45:01 : 01/01  50.0%

03:45:36 : 02/02  25.0%

03:46:33 : 03/03  12.5%

03:47:30 : 04/04  6.3%

03:50:58 : 05/05  3.1%

03:51:29 : Test finished.

----------

Total: 5/5 (3.1%)

I know I should've at least went 10 tries, but it's 4AM here, and my pillow looks incredibly delicious....

As to my view on cables, yes, to me they do sound different. It's minuscule and astronomical though. If the price difference is minimal, something like $10 standard vs $15-$20 higher level custom cable, then might as well. Custom cable usually looks better anyway, so just think of the extra $$ to get a better eyecandy. Looks better, feels better. Sounds better? Dunno, depends.

$500 custom cable? Hell, no. Well, 90% of audio population might say no, but there are still 10% that'd say yes, and that's how those companies stay alive selling those exotic cables.... :)

$500 custom cable? Hell, no. Well, 90% of audio population might say no, but there are still 10% that'd say yes, and that's why those companies stay alive selling those exotic cables.... :)

10% of my state things vaccination is for suckers. I learned about Measles parties the other day. I thought it was an Onion joke.

The problem is that when you do double-blind tests people tend not to be able to tell, not better than what you'd expect through blind luck. Now there are a lot of reasons why that might be, lack of familiarity with the equipment or the music... That sort of thing. At that level music listening because highly analytical and you need to look for the tiniest of differences. But it does bring into question exactly how much of that is placebo (something that is very well documented in the pharmaceutical industry).

For context, all of this comes from a guy who has paid $300 for a custom cable for his custom in-ear monitors. That cable broke and was replaced by a $75 cable that was purchased solely because it's extremely light weight and really strong. (For comparison the stock cable runs for about $50.)

Well, in my experience, they (different cables) do alter the sounds (obviously, from my last post). Not necessarily better or worse, just different. Problem is it's kinda hard to reproduce it by recording the results. I hate/blame directsound. Big suspicion that directsound do something in between converting analog to digital signal. What differences that are already minuscule to be heard when going straight to headphones, become harder to hear after being recorded. 

Tried it anyway tho. Plugged 2 different interconnect m2m cables from Ipad's LOD to PC's line in. Recorded with audacity.

Here's the files that I recorded and did ABX on: http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/474350/cable.rar(direct download, PCM WAV, virus free, 7.5MB).

There are 2 files inside, 'elec' and 'amtrans'. Elec is some generic copper cables I found, amtrans is solid core copper with gold plated cable (amtrans.co.jp). They're replay-gain processed, so they're ready to load into foobar to be ABX tested.

I know I should've at least went 10 tries, but it's 4AM here, and my pillow looks incredibly delicious....

As to my view on cables, yes, to me they do sound different. It's minuscule and astronomical though. If the price difference is minimal, something like $10 standard vs $15-$20 higher level custom cable, then might as well. Custom cable usually looks better anyway, so just think of the extra $$ to get a better eyecandy. Looks better, feels better. Sounds better? Dunno, depends.

$500 custom cable? Hell, no. Well, 90% of audio population might say no, but there are still 10% that'd say yes, and that's how those companies stay alive selling those exotic cables.... :)

What if the differences you are hearing is increased distortion?

10% of my state things vaccination is for suckers. I learned about Measles parties the other day. I thought it was an Onion joke.

The problem is that when you do double-blind tests people tend not to be able to tell, not better than what you'd expect through blind luck. Now there are a lot of reasons why that might be, lack of familiarity with the equipment or the music... That sort of thing. At that level music listening because highly analytical and you need to look for the tiniest of differences. But it does bring into question exactly how much of that is placebo (something that is very well documented in the pharmaceutical industry).

For context, all of this comes from a guy who has paid $300 for a custom cable for his custom in-ear monitors. That cable broke and was replaced by a $75 cable that was purchased solely because it's extremely light weight and really strong. (For comparison the stock cable runs for about $50.)

I did my re-cabling myself, that's how I dipped my toe in cables. Got so fond of building cables, now I'm making interconnects to sell, lol

What if the differences you are hearing is increased distortion?

That might be the case. But still, it's audible and discernible, and goes with 'different cables sound different', be it distortion or heaven's blessing...