I personally would go for the 1080p panel, it's high res enough and the battery life is better, plus it's matte and i don't need a touch screen. Only 8GB max of ram is bad though.

Really love this laptop and was looking forward to this review but I just can't buy it with only 8gb of ram, also whilst the QHD screen looks amazing I would still prefer a 1080p screen with better battery life and an i7. Anyone know of any alternatives that fit that spec? (apart from a macbook pro, or is that my only option?).  

If you don't mind the OS, wait for the the new air that will be introduced soon. Or wait for the refreshes of haswell best ultrabooks, for example the acer aspire s7.

post-75028-0-08299300-1423396787.png

I'm browsing, listening to music, driving 2 displays off integrated graphics, cropping a screenshot of those 2 displays in GIMP and I can't justify to myself the expense of upgrading from my single 4GB stick.

Maybe you people should reevaluate your browsing habits, choice of browser and/or operating system.

post-75028-0-08299300-1423396787.png

I want to be able to open 200 tabs on a $1k+ computer. Surely, this can't be too much to ask?

what a beautiful display...

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

It is touch and you don't tell us if the screen is mounted good enough so it doesn't "shake", thats just bad

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

DPI scaling issues are program related, devs didn't make DPI aware programs so that's the problem.

Windows scale great and support for scaling is great, just look at Modern apps.

Exactly, it's up to devs to write DPI-Aware applications.

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2015-02-08 13:48:41.png

I'm browsing, listening to music, driving 2 displays off integrated graphics, cropping a screenshot of those 2 displays in GIMP and I can't justify to myself the expense of upgrading from my single 4GB stick.

Maybe you people should reevaluate your browsing habits, choice of browser and/or operating system.

That's actually a very light workload.

I have both Chrome and Opera running with multiple tabs, Adobe Fireworks, Lightroom and Premiere Pro running; the latter being in the middle of a render, uTorrent on at full blast and I have about 1 GB of RAM to spare, out of 6.

Rule with your heart,

And live with your conscience.

I don't agree that 8GB of RAM is not enough. It is more than enough for machine with this form factor. I do not believe you would do video editing or any other task that really require more than 8 gigs of physical ram. It is really wrong to imply that web browsers with many tabs require psychical ram to work. In extreme use cases memory can be easily stored in swap, you don't access every single tab at the same time, don't you?

Moreover if you can't manage resources on your PC, buying more ram or hdd space is not a solution. It is just an excuse for laziness.

EDIT

I use Firefox as my daily browser and since it is 32-bit version. Ram usage is limited to 32-bit address spaces. I'm constantly having around 150 tabs open and it works fine. It is not like you need 16GB ram for that...

EDIT2:

Also about UI scaling. Windows do everything right. It is all due to software developers  which doesn't adjust their apps for high dpi. So blaming Windows for the issue is wrong.

I just can't even comprehend how anyone uses enough tabs to consume a full 8 GB of RAM.

That's an incredibly niche use case scenario.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I just can't even comprehend how anyone uses enough tabs to consume a full 8 GB of RAM.

I tend to use a lot of RAM, not just for browsing, but for other things too. Games, virtual machines, simulations, Kerbal Space Program. Having 12+ gigs of RAM is a necessity for me.

Right now I am using up 5.2/16GB RAM, and I have two Chrome windows with a combined six tabs, and Steam and Skype are open. 8GB is nowhere near enough for me, even for more basic things. In fact, I'd honestly get an XPS 13 2015 to replace my Yoga 2 Pro if it weren't limited to 8GB RAM; the processor supports it, so it's not a hardware limitation.

I tend to use a lot of RAM, not just for browsing, but for other things too. Games, virtual machines, simulations, Kerbal Space Program. Having 12+ gigs of RAM is a necessity for me.

Right now I am using up 5.2/16GB RAM, and I have two Chrome windows with a combined six tabs, and Steam and Skype are open. 8GB is nowhere near enough for me, even for more basic things. In fact, I'd honestly get an XPS 13 2015 to replace my Yoga 2 Pro if it weren't limited to 8GB RAM; the processor supports it, so it's not a hardware limitation.

The thing is, applications in windows will scale up memory usage if more is available.  You can run everything you're running just fine on Windows XP and 3.2 GB of RAM.  We did it for years, it's not like things have become that much more demanding.  They just utilize available resources a lot better.

I just can't fathom anyone hitting the max of their RAM just through web browsing.  (And Chrome is notorious for being a memory hog compared to other browsers.)  You would need what, 80+ tabs open at any one time to do that?  You guys should learn how to bookmark things if you need that many tabs open.

The thing is, applications in windows will scale up memory usage if more is available.  You can run everything you're running just fine on Windows XP and 3.2 GB of RAM.  We did it for years, it's not like things have become that much more demanding.  They just utilize available resources a lot better.

I just can't fathom anyone hitting the max of their RAM just through web browsing.  (And Chrome is notorious for being a memory hog compared to other browsers.)  You would need what, 80+ tabs open at any one time to do that?  You guys should learn how to bookmark things if you need that many tabs open.

I've actually hit 8GB RAM used just by browsing before, thrice. And I actually never used Windows XP on 3.2GB RAM, only 128MB and 2GB.

I've actually hit 8GB RAM used just by browsing before, thrice. And I actually never used Windows XP on 3.2GB RAM, only 128MB and 2GB.

Always nice to see other bronies outside of MLP forums.

I too use a lot of RAM just using Firefox. Once I used all 4 gigs on my laptop and it started swapping. Had about 20 tabs open. 8 Gigs is not that supprising.

I see an awful lot of people complaining at the XPS 13 for 'only' having 8GB of ram, and tbh, I can use up 8 on chrome alone, however,

Can anyone think of any laptop, (not a gaming one) that has more than 8GB of RAM? 1 or 2? And I don't think they're ultrabooks...

Dell has made a big song and dance about it only being the size of a 11" ultrabook but with a 13" screen, why couldn't they just fit a bigger screen into the same size chassis? We are accustomed to that size by now and to fit a bigger screen in would be, in my opinion, a better direction to go than this. They wouldn't be able to call it the XPS 13 any more though.

Ordered my XPS 13 - got 16% discount from using a coupon here in Australia. Got the QHD + Touch screen for $1750. Cheering as I will be using this for Uni :)

Linus, you should check out the Dell Latitude 14 7450 (it's very recent). I'm just curious how you think about it because it has more flexible options. Oh yeah, you forgot to mention the awkward (to me it's abysmal) webcam location; although, I understand why it's at the bottom corner due to the "Infinity Display."

And my search for a new laptop continues. I would love to see Dell make a 15.6 version of the XPS12. 5th gen I7 processor, 16GB of ram, 256 GB of HDD, 1080p gorilla glass display, a solid backlit keyboard with the number pad, and as big a battery you can get in that beast. That's all I want. Am I being greedy?

You guys should learn how to bookmark things if you need that many tabs open.

I'm going to suggest that "you're holdbrowsing it wrong" is not an appropriate solution to Dell not offering a third RAM option on a $1k+ laptop.

Really?

a57ee390df.jpg

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

I usually have about 50 tabs open and I rarely use over 6GB of memory. For you guys who are hitting limits:

1) Set plug-ins to click to run.

2) Use a different ad blocking program (ublock comes to mind).

3) Use fewer extensions (I only have ublock installed).

4) Maybe try a less memory hogging browser (like Firefox).

Somebody help me out. The CPU can support 16 Gigs of RAM. Why is the laptop limited to 8? Seems like Dell could have put in a second DIMM slot and made it another selling point...

Really?

0OwXzPG.jpg

Call of Duty is using 2.8 GB running in the background.  I'm still not even close to filling 8 gb.