Multiple Monitor Setup For Work & Play

Go to solution Solved by Prastupok,

Well, for reference, here is the 27" monitor I use to game through my laptop with:

NxgAVqB.jpg

That one isn't a pro monitor. But it is something. 

I have researched and thought about this situation until my brain has burned out. I work for myself at home and focus mainly on digital content creation, web design/development, and video/audio editing. I have been working off of very old equipment for far too long (details in my profile). I am ready to splurge on myself (that sounds a little creepy when I say it that way), but I'm trying to balance the line between work, play, and practicality. Although my main priority for choosing a monitor setup is for work, I would like to get back into playing PC games. I can't seem to decide on a reasonable monitor size, how many to get, and all the other various specs. I would like to share my first-build experience here, but I just don't want to come across as one of those spoiled kids. I just happened to have saved up a lot of money and I am finally going to treat myself with this upcoming build. I will post my build log soon (once I figure out the monitor setup).

I have narrowed my choices down to:

4k (I think)

IPS panel

High Pixel Density (above 110 or so - the higher the better)

Wide Color Gamut

I would assume a good refresh rate would only affect game playing, so that is lower priority. I can't decide if (3) 27" is overkill (I could still use one for TV I guess), but I think only 2 monitors would not be enough.

What about this monitor setup:

(3) 27", 4k, IPS monitors for work (ASUS PB279Q or ASUS PG27AQ ROG SWIFT) and then a single ASUS PB287Q hung above for play/TV? Like I said, with my current old setup I'm using a single 20" full screen monitor, so I know that I'm looking at a HUGE change.

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations about a work/play monitor setup. Thanks...

If you are doing anything that you're getting paid for, I always recommend going for the professional grade. So like ProArt series, etc.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Dell P2715Q is arguably the best 4k monitor right now; 27" 4k 60Hz IPS for about $600-700. 

Depending on the games you play (I'm going to assume AAA titles) you're going to need SLI/Crossfire to get 60fps gameplay at decent settings. By far the best value card in my opinion is the R9 295x2, however, some people go with two 980's (horrible value, but they're the best card performance wise). 

I would recommend you wait for the R9 300 series which are supposed to come out in a few months and will likely be killer for 4k. 

edit: Not sure how big of a factor vram is with 3 or 4 4k displays, I'm using one 4k display with another 900p display and i'm sitting at around 900-1000MB vram usage whilst writing this. If it scales linearly (honestly have no idea) you may have a hard time with 4GB cards so you may want to do some research on that and see if the 8GB 290x is an option for you. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Personally I wouldn't recommend a 4k monitor at the moment, the scaling in windows is just too broken. And if you wish to game, well, 4k will require a LOT of horsepower.

I would suggest going with a very good 1440p or 1600p monitor as a main monitor (maybe two of them) and then a secondary screen of pretty much any other size just as a screen to put things in while working or gaming on the other monitor.

As @Prastupok said, I would highly suggest a proart monitor if you are doing professional work.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a 4k monitor at the moment, the scaling in windows is just too broken. And if you wish to game, well, 4k will require a LOT of horsepower.

I would suggest going with a very good 1440p or 1600p monitor as a main monitor (maybe two of them) and then a secondary screen of pretty much any other size just as a screen to put things in while working or gaming on the other monitor.

As @Prastupok said, I would highly suggest a proart monitor if you are doing professional work.

The payoff is small, but for clients it could mean the difference between them being repeat business. 

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

If you are doing anything that you're getting paid for, I always recommend going for the professional grade. So like ProArt series, etc.

Thanks for replying.

The only PA I saw (other than 24") is the ASUS PA279Q. Since I am getting an Asus mobo, I want to stick with them as much as reasonable. I can't seem to get past how small I think (3) 24" monitors would be, but considering the price break in monitors seems to be anything larger than 28", I have set that size as my goal (27"-28"). It really is hard to make a decision when I am not able to visually see these monitors. I am so visual, so all the research in the world wouldn't equal an in-person review.

Well, for reference, here is the 27" monitor I use to game through my laptop with:

NxgAVqB.jpg

Also, I don't keep it in this room anymore, but the 29UB65 strikes a great balance. 

byPW14X.jpg

Dell P2715Q is arguably the best 4k monitor right now; 27" 4k 60Hz IPS for about $600-700. 

Depending on the games you play (I'm going to assume AAA titles) you're going to need SLI/Crossfire to get 60fps gameplay at decent settings. By far the best value card in my opinion is the R9 295x2, however, some people go with two 980's (horrible value, but they're the best card performance wise). 

I would recommend you wait for the R9 300 series which are supposed to come out in a few months and will likely be killer for 4k. 

edit: Not sure how big of a factor vram is with 3 or 4 4k displays, I'm using one 4k display with another 900p display and i'm sitting at around 900-1000MB vram usage whilst writing this. If it scales linearly (honestly have no idea) you may have a hard time with 4GB cards so you may want to do some research on that and see if the 8GB 290x is an option for you. 

I'm not even sure what types of games I might get into; I just want to make sure I have enough of everything to not be limited. I have researched a LOT with nVidia products, so at this point I'm probably going to go with 2 Asus Matrix GTX 980 cards. I read other online articles about the best video card for programs like Photoshop, and the opinions are too varied to gain anything from them. I noted that the 980's came up a lot, so I just went with those and moved on. If I spend all my time on research, it will be another 11 years before I get a new computer (my current equip is banging on 11 years). I have procrastinated way too long - to the point my workload has really suffered.

This is where I would benefit from being able to see these monitors in person. Although I will order everything online, I have yet to see any monitor locally so that I can even gauge what 4k looks like. Maybe I need to make a trip to Asus's factory. Wouldn't that be a trip (literally)?

I have yet to see any monitor locally so that I can even gauge what 4k looks like. Maybe I need to make a trip to Asus's factory. Wouldn't that be a trip (literally)?

4k is gorgeous btw, and you don't need to use Windows scaling after you get used to it (assuming you have decent vision). 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

NxgAVqB.jpg

That 27" looks quite large in context. Maybe I better rethink getting 3 of them and stick with 2 - I don't know - there seems to be a big difference between 3 24's and 3 27's. I should get all arts-n-crafts and cut out some cardboard to replicate a 27" monitor (including a typical stand) and then sit in front of them.