I found something that is taking a buttload of space on my SSD, is it safe to delete?

Revel

I did some googling and found this program called WinDirStat and did a check on my SSD and found this. http://prntscr.com/5xtxyiThere are some massive files taking up ALOT of my harddrive space. I've never heard of them before, nor has Malwarebytes. As I'm planning on installing photoshop and some other programs I'd like some more space on my SSD. Thanks.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gnome Child.

Those are system files, simply deleting them is not a very good idea. Don't do it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Those are system files, simply deleting them is not a very good idea. Don't do it.

They're taking up 30GB, I don't think that's normal.

WinDirStat is not a system file, I'm not really sure, but I don't see why it's not safe to delete. It isn't a file or program that comes from Microsoft itself.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

They're taking up 30GB, I don't think that's normal.

It is :) part of those are probably page files (what the system uses when there isn't enough ram) and can be moved or deleted if need be, but you should use windows' tool to do it without doing any damage.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

WinDirStat is not a system file, I'm not really sure, but I don't see why it's not safe to delete. It isn't a file or program that comes from Microsoft itself.

Never said that WinDirStat was a system file, I was talking about these bad boys. http://prntscr.com/5xu4mf

I think you missed the point, he USED windirstrat and found some big files which he doesn't know whether they are safe to remove or not ;)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Never said that WinDirStat was a system file, I was talking about these bad boys. http://prntscr.com/5xu4mf

Ah. now I see, um. No, those aren't safe to delete, even though I'm not exactly sure why they're so large.

Downloading programs from CNet is not a good idea, as they will commonly include unwanted, and sometimes dangerous bloatware... The more you know.

I did some googling and found this program called WinDirStat and did a check on my SSD and found this. http://prntscr.com/5xtxyiThere are some massive files taking up ALOT of my harddrive space. I've never heard of them before, nor has Malwarebytes. As I'm planning on installing photoshop and some other programs I'd like some more space on my SSD. Thanks.

You CAN delete them in theory, but it's a bad idea.

Doing so would destroy your ability to restore older file versions, and to older forms of your operating system.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

I really don't care about restorations, things I want to save I have on other drives & on my MacBook.

I really don't care about restorations, things I want to save I have on other drives & on my MacBook.

Tbh, you need them more than you would think. As soon as something malicious comes on your PC which your AV doesn't know about yet, it can f*** up everything, resulting in an necessary TOTAL RE-INSTALL of your OS, unless you can restore your OS (which doesn't affect documents, but does affect installed software).

It would be a better idea to upgrade your computer/HDD for increased capacity.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

Tbh, you need them more than you would think. As soon as something malicious comes on your PC which your AV doesn't know about yet, it can f*** up everything, resulting in an necessary TOTAL RE-INSTALL of your OS, unless you can restore your OS (which doesn't affect documents, but does affect installed software).

It would be a better idea to upgrade your computer/HDD for increased capacity.

Tbh, I'm running on a trial version of Windows 8.1 Pro. So I can safely delete them? But it may hurt me in the future?.

Tbh, I'm running on a trial version of Windows 8.1 Pro. So I can safely delete them? But it may hurt me in the future?.

Deleting is in theory safe, and shall not hurt you in short term, worst case scenario is that your OS will become a little bit confused of the deletion.

In the future, it will definitely hurt you. If your computer runs slow, there are 3 options (ranked from less-est to most helping):

• De-fragmentation (technique to disconfuse your Harddrive, will help lots with old computers, but won't help as much as the other solutions)
  • System restore point, which uses the system volume information (this comes really close to the most helpful thing, and keeps all your files, only some software loss will occur)
  • Formatting and Reinstal of your OS (Will help with EVERYTHING, as long as hardware other than the harddrive isn't involved. Will remove almost everything though, files and everything).

Basic guide to CPU's!

Deleting is in theory safe, and shall not hurt you in short term, worst case scenario is that your OS will become a little bit confused of the deletion.

In the future, it will definitely hurt you. If your computer runs slow, there are 3 options (ranked from less-est to most helping):

• De-fragmentation (technique to disconfuse your Harddrive, will help lots with old computers, but won't help as much as the other solutions)
  • System restore point, which uses the system volume information (this comes really close to the most helpful thing, and keeps all your files, only some software loss will occur)
  • Formatting and Reinstal of your OS (Will help with EVERYTHING, as long as hardware other than the harddrive isn't involved. Will remove almost everything though, files and everything).

Looks like I can't even delete it.

Looks like I can't even delete it.

That makes it all easier :P

Is it a laptop or a tower/desktop that you have?

Basic guide to CPU's!