Vanguard 850 vs RM 850 - PSU buying / compatibility / modular cabling advice please?

Go to solution Solved by Aniallation,

Thanks for drawing my attention to this one. Looks like more cables, slightly better johnnyguru review, and only £5 more... Really have no clue when it comes to PSUs beyond overall ratings, wattages, and cables...Is there something else I should be aware of that differentiates them?

The big thing that comes to choosing a PSU is not the wattage but the quality. If you want a good PSU that will last long and won't blow up, possibly causing damage to your PC, you should look past things like cables and exterior design and worry more about what's inside the PSU, and how it performs. Looking at things such as the OEM (maker company) of the PSU, capacitor quality, line filtering, and solder quality in terms of internals, and things like voltage regulation, ripple suppression, and hold-up-time when it comes to performance. 

In terms of the deep-down technical quality, the Corsair RM is a child's toy compared to the EVGA G2 (Super Flower Leadex) and Cooler Master V-series (Seasonic X). Honestly no Corsair PSU is great for the money. It's only the Corsair name and styling that you're paying for, in the end you're getting a worse product for a more expensive cost.

Hello, looking for some quick buying/compatibility advice!

Putting together the following build but not sure about the PSU. It's probably the element I have least knowledge about so would appreciate any advice.

Mainly wondering if I will be able to plug in all of the following hardware and have enough cables left to plug in possibly 9-12 drives, as will be aiming to put a raid array in the 5.25 bays.

Looks like the Coolermaster Vanguard 850 only comes with 2x3 sata cables, so wondering if I'll need to buy an additional cable of some kind, or an ugly converter of some sort? If so please advise what might work best.

Realize the PSU / Case are a tad big for the build but want room to expand drives, watercooling, and GPUs. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£779.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£91.33 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus X99-DELUXE ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (£294.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  (£525.14 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£107.59 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£69.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£69.98 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked Video Card  (£479.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Full Tower Case  (£192.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£109.99 @ Aria PC)

or

Coolermaster Vanguard 850
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£71.60 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £2793.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-06 14:34 GMT+0000

sorry did you mean CM V850?

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/v-series-psu/v850/

I say the V850 will be better than the RM850

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Evga 850G2 if you can get it

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

sorry did you mean CM V850?

http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/v-series-psu/v850/

I say the V850 will be better than the RM850

Yes indeed, the CM V850. Cheaper price right now at Scan.co.uk than the RM850 but mainly wondering about the cabling tbh. Seems like it comes with less than the RM850....

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w-cooler-master-rs850-80plus-gold-full-modular-psu-1x135mm-silent-fdb-fan

Yes indeed, the CM V850. Cheaper price right now at Scan.co.uk than the RM850 but mainly wondering about the cabling tbh. Seems like it comes with less than the RM850....

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w-cooler-master-rs850-80plus-gold-full-modular-psu-1x135mm-silent-fdb-fan

I been using coolermaster V series PSU

all are worth the price

the cables provided with the PSU are more than enough for most users

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Evga 850G2 if you can get it

Thanks for drawing my attention to this one. Looks like more cables, slightly better johnnyguru review, and only £5 more... Really have no clue when it comes to PSUs beyond overall ratings, wattages, and cables...Is there something else I should be aware of that differentiates them?

Quality and quietness are the main things to look for (IMO)

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.2Ghz | Evga GTX 780 Ti SC ACX with backplate | MSI Gaming 9 AC | 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance Pro Silver 2400 MHz | Corsair H105 128GB Crucial MX100 | Toshiba 2TB | Evga 750G2 | Corsair Obsidian 750d | Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 PWM (3x140mm & 3x120mm)

Ever since I started building computer I have been useing EVGA power supplys 

there Cheap for the wattage and efficiency (at least in america) The G2 and better Cables are all black and not that multi colored mess that you see on allot of PSU's 

and for the most part they look clean and nice in almost every system. 

I do like the looks of the Corsair and NZXT PSU but when they cost 20.00 more for the same thing I can not bring myself to picking them up unless there on sale.

same goes for any PSU.  

Go with 750g2, you don't need 850w

So go with g2 or the cooler Master v750

If you want, go 850g2, or v850

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Go with 750g2, you don't need 850w

So go with g2 or the cooler Master v750

If you want, go 850g2, or v850

Yeah, was considering going for a 750w supply instead, but it seems pretty much everyone goes overkill these days for some reason? If at some point I add custom watercooling, another gtx 980, a raid card and a bunch of drives, still don't think I will be over 600w...

Yeah, was considering going for a 750w supply instead, but it seems pretty much everyone goes overkill these days for some reason? If at some point I add custom watercooling, another gtx 980, a raid card and a bunch of drives, still don't think I will be over 600w...

980 dont really eat a lot of power as compared to the 780Tis

but your CPU when OC will draw a lot more power

you will be glad you got a decent PSU

That is a powerful spec. What are you using the pc for ?

If you plan on doing some serious overclocking then look at the Gigabyte SOC Force board. You can also get the Phanteks Enthoo Primo in Black/Orange which would look nice with that board.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-517-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2875

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-015-PT&groupid=2362&catid=2674

You can also pre-order custom cables for the EVGA G2 power supply

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CM-041-CM&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=2805

Also these GTX 780ti cards are excellent value for money considering they are not far off a 980 in terms of speed. They won't be around for much longer though due to the 700 cards being discontinued. 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-078-ZT&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1402

The big thing that comes to choosing a PSU is not the wattage but the quality. If you want a good PSU that will last long and won't blow up, possibly causing damage to your PC, you should look past things like cables and exterior design and worry more about what's inside the PSU, and how it performs. Looking at things such as the OEM (maker company) of the PSU, capacitor quality, line filtering, and solder quality in terms of internals, and things like voltage regulation, ripple suppression, and hold-up-time when it comes to performance. 

In terms of the deep-down technical quality, the Corsair RM is a child's toy compared to the EVGA G2 (Super Flower Leadex) and Cooler Master V-series (Seasonic X). Honestly no Corsair PSU is great for the money. It's only the Corsair name and styling that you're paying for, in the end you're getting a worse product for a more expensive cost.

"Rawr XD"

Thanks for those extra tips guys,

Wound up getting the EVGA G2 850w. A little overpowered for what I'll be running but figured it should be able to support 2x GTX980s if I ever decide to get another and SLI them. That said, read somewhere that you should get at least a 1000w PSU if running SLI or more (in my motherboard instructions I think). Hopefully this does not take into account the lower power requirements of the 980 compared to 780s....? Not a problem now anyways.

Already bought all the hardware so pretty much set. Do have a few more questions regarding cooler installation and the best fan arrangement I'll probably be posting shortly! Thanks again!

Thanks for these links. Already have all hardware bought now but good to know I can get extra cables for that PSU. Using the PC mainly as a workstation for After Effects, also some Premiere. Otherwise possibly some gaming. Previously experienced a lot of bottlenecking in AE so eager to see how well the x99 platform handles things.

That is a powerful spec. What are you using the pc for ?

If you plan on doing some serious overclocking then look at the Gigabyte SOC Force board. You can also get the Phanteks Enthoo Primo in Black/Orange which would look nice with that board.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-517-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2875

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-015-PT&groupid=2362&catid=2674

You can also pre-order custom cables for the EVGA G2 power supply

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CM-041-CM&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=2805

Also these GTX 780ti cards are excellent value for money considering they are not far off a 980 in terms of speed. They won't be around for much longer though due to the 700 cards being discontinued. 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-078-ZT&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1402

So I finally built the system today. Not had a chance to load Windows yet but all seems to be working fine so far.

However...

I did notice that the EVGA G2 850 PSU I got is making a quiet but audible fizzing sound. The fan also spins up just from loading into bios although it is inaudible compared to the buzzing/fizzing sound.

Now it is not a big problem as the sound is so slight but I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed due to all the hype that this PSU is meant to be very low noise if not near silent. Also was not expecting the fan to kick in as I am using much less than the 850w. Probably more like 400w max right now as the only thing I've got plugged in is an SSD, 8 fans running low, and a GTX 980 reference.

I've never used such a high wattage PSU before so is this slight buzzing sound to be expected with higher wattage PSUs? Or is it worth RMAing to get a silent one that does not fizz?

For example, I've got an old 750w Bronze rated OCZ PSU in the machine I am using now, which is undoubtedly drawing more power, and it makes no noise that I can hear.

I've only ever heard a simillar fizzing sound in one PSU I had which died shortly thereafter...

Any ideas?

I did notice that the EVGA G2 850 PSU I got is making a quiet but audible fizzing sound. The fan also spins up just from loading into bios although it is inaudible compared to the buzzing/fizzing sound.

Now it is not a big problem as the sound is so slight but I've got to say I'm a bit disappointed due to all the hype that this PSU is meant to be very low noise if not near silent. Also was not expecting the fan to kick in as I am using much less than the 850w. Probably more like 400w max right now as the only thing I've got plugged in is an SSD, 8 fans running low, and a GTX 980 reference.

I've never used such a high wattage PSU before so is this slight buzzing sound to be expected with higher wattage PSUs? Or is it worth RMAing to get a silent one that does not fizz?

For example, I've got an old 750w Bronze rated OCZ PSU in the machine I am using now, which is undoubtedly drawing more power, and it makes no noise that I can hear.

I've only ever heard a simillar fizzing sound in one PSU I had which died shortly thereafter...

Any ideas?

I would contact EVGA and ask them about it, they have great customer service and can definitely help you out in determining the problem. 

"Rawr XD"

Is the psu in eco mode as well ?

Is the psu in eco mode as well ?

Thank you mate, didn't even see the ECO mode switch! It was the PSU fan that was making the fizzing sound. Switching to ECO mode turns off the fan (at lower loads at least). And if you can believe it, that PSU fan is the loudest thing in this machine! Never had a machine run so quietly! Thanks for all the help and fast responses!