fx 8350 + r9 290 psu requirements.

Jengo
Go to solution Solved by Dabombinable,

For what your trying to run I'd recommend a 650W PSU as the minimum, with higher powered ones giving you the chance of hitting the efficiency sweet spot. Now as for an actual model, I find the Corsair VS650 to be a solid PSU. I have been running mine for months now with various rigs and have had no issues from it. Even though people will say its 'cheap' (around the $80-90 mark) and 'crap', I'm finding it to be very good and actually silent. So far its been able to run at the same time, without failing, this rig: i5 4440, gtx 970, gtx 650 ti (molex connector), ssd, 2x 2.5" hdd, 3.5" hdd, wifi card, front panel fan controller, pcie usb3.0 card.

Edit: the website with specs  http://www.corsair.com/en-au/vs-seriestm-vs650-650-watt-power-supply  

OK.

Will still continue to use them though, haven't failed me yet in over 10 builds.

Pretty sick of the elitism around here, even Asrock is shunned while it is a very decent brand.

It works but you can get way  better stuff for the same money.

It works but you can get way  better stuff for the same money.

I think that's the point, that it's cheaper a bit :P better brands cost more

my fx plays those games  perfectly fine..and most of those game suck and are poorly optimized pieces of monkey a$$ that was designed on outdated gaming engines that were also poorly optimized.

you keep saying this "play 4 out of 5 games" nonsense..well guess what? i can play 5 out of 5 games just fine..and we all know 3 out of 5 games suck balls anyways. there isnt a game on pc that the fx cant play.

linus forums have serious intel fanboyism going on here. go to overclock.net and argue these facts on amd forums and see all kinds of truth get slapped in your faces.

Granted they play games fine, just like my X5450, but there are always some times where you will notice stuttering, and if your monitoring your GPU usage, some games which rely heavily on the CPU will cause the GPU usage to not hit 100%.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Intel vs AMD in the PSU sub section?

Posted Image

The FX series is fine and intel can be better, regardless the guy doesn't want intel so stop arguing about it like it's an option!

my fx plays those games  perfectly fine..and most of those game suck and are poorly optimized pieces of monkey a$$ that was designed on outdated gaming engines that were also poorly optimized. you keep saying this "play 4 out of 5 games" nonsense..well guess what? i can play 5 out of 5 games just fine..and we all know 3 out of 5 games suck balls anyways. there isnt a game on pc that the fx cant play. linus forums have serious intel fanboyism going on here. go to overclock.net and argue these facts on amd forums and see all kinds of truth get slapped in your faces.

He's provided plenty of benchmarks and reasoning...

Just go back to OCN if that's what you want to do.

Intel vs AMD in the PSU sub section?

giphy.gif?w=320

The FX series is fine and intel can be better, regardless the guy doesn't want intel so stop arguing about it like it's an option!

Thank you!

It is not that I don´t want intel, many of my friends use intel and it works for them, I just can´t justify getting a whole new motherboard, and also having to deal with the trouble windows is going to give me for changing motherboard.

And again, thank you for understanding, I never meant to start this war, I just wanted to know what psu to get...

He's provided plenty of benchmarks and reasoning...

Just go back to OCN if that's what you want to do.

he provides the same outdated benchmarks he always does... games that are poorly optimized and no one cares about.  benchmarks change with newer drivers and game patches. we need to see NEW benchmarks.

im always at ocn its a much better and less drama queen filled forum,more intelligent discussion and less " NA UH MY CPU IS BETTER DERRRRP "

here in linus land..if anyone even ask about amd..the same 3 people swarm in with thier "intels better" crap and thier piles of saved benchmarks that doesn't mean d*ck.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

he provides the same outdated benchmarks he always does... games that are poorly optimized and no one cares about.  benchmarks change with newer drivers and game patches. we need to see NEW benchmarks.

im always at ocn its a much better and less drama queen filled forum,more intelligent discussion and less " NA UH MY CPU IS BETTER DERRRRP "S

here in linus land..if anyone even ask about amd..the same 3 people swarm in with thier "intels better" crap and thier piles of saved benchmarks that doesn't mean d*ck.

So you're telling me BF4, Skyrim, CS:GO, Cod:AW, Bioshock, CIV, Starcraft and ARMA are all games no one cares about...?

Nu-uh you're silly as if we're recommending someone a CPU we want to recommend the one that's the most consistent across all applications and uses... that happens to be an i5 solution. Not FX.

Sorry matey you've yet to make a valid point, like I said if you're upset about people recommending things based on FACT and not "I have one it seems fine" here go back to OCN or wherever you fancy going.

im always at ocn its a much better and less drama queen filled forum,more intelligent discussion and less " NA UH MY CPU IS BETTER DERRRRP "

This is how to prove your not being a fanboy about AMD and are giving an un-biased opinion, follow these steps:

1. Show your computers specifications via a screen shot, speccy is good for that
  2. Show the games that you play
  3. Play the games (or just the most intensive ones) with FRAPS benchmarking
  4. Post the results in a new thread (this is about PSU requirements, which was answered)
  5. I will benchmark with the same games if I have them and post my results with older hardware (Xeon X5450 in my OC rig-3.24GHz, maybe the E8500-4.05GHz and maybe at higher speeds) and my i5 4440 if I can get it working.
  6. Invite others to do the same for the sake of comparison

PMSL

Hello.

I currently have a cx500 in my system.

I am looking to upgrade my CPU and GPU to a fx8350 and a r9 290.

I know 500 watts is at the low end, but I would like to know if it is doable?

other than that, my system has:

1 HDD

5 fans (2 x jetflow 120 + 3 x corsair af 120 quiet edition.)

And a NZXT fan controller.

If i need to get a better PSU then what PSU would you recommend for this retailer: www.komplett.dk

Thank you :)

I'm not going through the entire three page of AMD vs Intel debate, but for your system a quality ~600w would be good. I would recommend the Cooler Master G650M. It offer semi-modularity, a quiet operation, and better voltage regulation than some of the other units in the same price range.

https://www.komplett.dk/cooler-master-g650m-650w-psu/795138

I'm not going through the entire three page of AMD vs Intel debate, but for your system a quality ~600w would be good. I would recommend the Cooler Master G650M. It offer semi-modularity, a quiet operation, and better voltage regulation than some of the other units in the same price range.

https://www.komplett.dk/cooler-master-g650m-650w-psu/795138

I might just look at getting one of those myself, I'm up for a new PSU anyway since I'm going to be building a 3rd rig, and being partially modular will help with the mass of cables in the bottom half of my case. (The wattage on the 12v rail is a bit higher than on the VS650 (600W), though all other rails are the same).

PMSL

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using a crappy 600W and it is fine so far (5-6 months of use). See my signature.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Please don´t start an intel vs amd war. The fx 8350 can handle the loads I will be putting on it, and I also don´t want to have to change my motherboard.

The FX 8350 is getting pretty old, and to the point where it won't handle heavy loads. Not trying to start a flame war, but it's the truth If you're gaming, i would suggest picking up a newer Intel cheap, why waste your money now, as you will have to upgrade sooner than you would if you bought an Intel chip, so it would save you money!

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

The FX 8350 is getting pretty old, and to the point where it won't handle heavy loads. Not trying to start a flame war, but it's the truth If you're gaming, i would suggest picking up a newer Intel cheap, why waste your money now, as you will have to upgrade sooner than you would if you bought an Intel chip, so it would save you money!

Yes I have looked at the 4690k but money is a bit tight, so I will be seeing what this year brings ;)