Sleeving with Paracord or MDPC?

charlezprice

Hi! So I am going to be sleeving my OCZ 600w PSU soon. I just don't know what to use. I can only spend about $50 on this at the most right now, but either way, both MDPC and Paracord fit in my budget. I have never sleeved before, I have just heard Paracord is a little harder to do, but it looks better, and does not require the extra money for Heatshrink. Please let me know which one I should do, because I really don't know at this point!

Whether or not paracord looks better I'd say depends on taste more than anything else.

Some people seem to prefer the look of PET sleeving, while others love paracord (such

as me).

They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Paracord is cheap and dense enough

so that the underlying wire never shines through (at least I've never heard of that

happening). The good PET sleeving seems to achieve that as well, both Lutro0's and

MDPC-x' fall under that category by popular opinion (and I've never seen a picture

of either of those two with the wire shining through, although I've never personally

worked with them).

Paracord's main disadvantage which I have found is that it frays quite easily, depending

on quality (and quality can vary even from the same manufacturer simply for different

colours).

You can also do sleeving without heatshrink with PET sleeves btw.

Lutro0 has a very extensive FAQ on sleeving here, I highly recommend you read through

the sections which interest you, he covers pretty much anything in there.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

i prefer mdpc because i prefer plastic style, lutro0 customs is always recommending mdpc and i trusted his opinion which is why i have only ever bought mdpc. paracord is really easy to do heatshrinkless, but you can do heatshrinkless with mdpc (plastic type) its just a bit more fiddly.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

• 4 weeks later...

I personally prefer paracord sleeving. But that is just me. Its also a lot cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! So I am going to be sleeving my OCZ 600w PSU soon. I just don't know what to use. I can only spend about $50 on this at the most right now, but either way, both MDPC and Paracord fit in my budget. I have never sleeved before, I have just heard Paracord is a little harder to do, but it looks better, and does not require the extra money for Heatshrink. Please let me know which one I should do, because I really don't know at this point!

paracord can only look better if you do it right the first time i sleeved cables i used paracord and it was just so hard to do and i ended up switching to mdpc. the only reason paracord is so hard to use is because when your pushing a cable through it snags the paracord and makes it look bad

(Quick thread hijack, my apologies) I'm going to be doing me first custom sleeving soon and I'm planning on using Paracord, but I have some questions if you guys wouldn't mind giving some advice to a noob. I'm only planning on sleeving the 24-pin connector, the supplementary 8-pin connector, and 4 6-pin connectors (2 dual 6-pin graphics cards in SLi). In total, this equals 56 cables that need to be sleeved. I'm also planning on upgrading to the EVGA SuperNOVA 750W PSU since it works perfectly for my needs, has very good reviews, and is a good price. I don't know how long the cables are exactly, but based off other modular cabling I've seen, they're normally around 2ft long. So since I have 56 cables and each are about 2 ft, I'm going to need to order about 150ft of sleeving to be on the safe side, right? Or are my measurements inaccurate?

Intel i5 3570K - ASRock Extreme4 - Corsair Vengeance 8Gb RAM - ASUS GTX 660 Ti - Samsung 840 250Gb SSD (OS-Games) - WD 750Gb HDD (Storage) - Corsair TX650W PSU - Corsair 300R

So is there a place where you can buy MDPC sleeves in America?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

So since I have 56 cables and each are about 2 ft, I'm going to need to order about 150ft of sleeving to be on the safe side, right? Or are my measurements inaccurate?

Sounds about right, I usually plan with a safety margin of ~1.5 for my orders as well.

Depending on how thick your wires are the paracord sleeve might end up getting longer

(for thin wires) or shorter (thick wires) though, so it's a bit tricky to be completely

accurate in any case.

So is there a place where you can buy MDPC sleeves in America?

AFAIK it's only sold via Nils' website (he does ship internationally).

If you want something local you might want to look into Lutro0's shop, he has some pretty

good stuff as well.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I personally prefer MDPC heatshrinkless method, but if i was on a budget paracord is still good.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

+1

just bought from Lutro0 and his service alone is worth the purchase. im actually in the middle of doing sleeving with his StiffLine PET sleeving. its a breeze to work with. super easy! 

heres my review over my purchase

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

+1

just bought from Lutro0 and his service alone is worth the purchase. im actually in the middle of doing sleeving with his StiffLine PET sleeving. its a breeze to work with. super easy! 

heres my review over my purchase

Looking forward to how it looks.