DT990 Pro vs Premium

Diederik_Gr

So i got interested in premium headphones, and one i hear people mention a lot is the DT990. There are 2 versions of this headphone however, and the Premium is about twice the price of the Pro. How is the overall sound quality and does the Premium justify the higher price?

And what would be a good amp to drive these headphones?

My main focus is gaming and music, i listen to a variety of songs.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

No. The difference is that the pro has metal earcup grills, lower clamp force, and straight cable. There is no difference in sound.

And you shouldn't need an amp if your motherboard gets loud enough for your taste without clipping. If you want/need an amp, the Syba DAC/amp or Fiio E10k would be more than sufficient.

If you can, listen to them in your local shop. Some users prefer more bass, some less. etc.

No. The difference is that the pro has metal earcup grills, lower clamp force, and straight cable. There is no difference in sound.

And you shouldn't need an amp if your motherboard gets loud enough for your taste without clipping. If you want/need an amp, the Syba DAC/amp or Fiio E10k would be more than sufficient.

I know that there are 3 versions available. Is the 250 Ohm version fine without an amp?

If you can, listen to them in your local shop. Some users prefer more bass, some less. etc.

Wish i could, all shops here have that beats crap for testing. And one only has a couple of Bose's.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

I know that there are 3 versions available. Is the 250 Ohm version fine without an amp?

Wish i could, all shops here have that beats crap for testing. And one only has a couple of Bose's.

:/ worth it hahahahahah

Yes, it will be fine with most devices. If not, you can always add an amp later. The Pro version only comes in 250 ohms, though.

Syba DAC is not a good recommendation for headphones that don't already get loud enough with onboard.

Syba DAC is not a good recommendation for headphones that don't already get loud enough with onboard.

The loudness is not what concerns me now, i've heard people say that an amp can improve the mids by a fair bit. I can always go for one later.

Pro and Premium use the same drivers. Pros clamp a little bit harder so they have a bit more bass.

Pros come in 250 Ohm only while Premium come in 32, 250, and 600 ohm versions.

Unless you wear glasses or have really sensitive ears, Pros should be fine. They sound basically the same as the premiums. 

EDIT: I think Premiums also come with a carrying case (quite a big one) and the pros don't. Not entirely sure though.

It would be enough for the 990, which is the entire point of the thread.

Pro and Premium use the same drivers. Pros clamp a little bit harder so they have a bit more bass.

Pros come in 250 Ohm only while Premium come in 32, 250, and 600 ohm versions.

Unless you wear glasses or have really sensitive ears, Pros should be fine. They sound basically the same as the premiums. 

EDIT: I think Premiums also come with a carrying case (quite a big one) and the pros don't. Not entirely sure though.

990s are open, so the clamp force has negligable effect on the base response. Personally, I found the Pros to be way too tight, but fine once I stretched them.

It would be enough for the 990, which is the entire point of the thread.

I'm not responding to the thread, I'm responding to your assertion that the Syba DAC is an improvement over an onboard solution that doesn't get loud enough without clipping. It isn't. It's basically an onboard solution in an external enclosure.

I'm not responding to the thread, I'm responding to your assertion that the Syba DAC is an improvement over an onboard solution that doesn't get loud enough without clipping. It isn't. It's basically an onboard solution in an external enclosure.

Yes, because all onboard solutions are exactly the same.