Nexus 7 (2012/2013) Owners Thread

lak

Just updated to 5.0.1.

How's everyone finding battery life? I came from 4.4.4 and find that I'm getting poor battery life with 5.0.1. Tempted to flash back to 4.4.4. However, the new UI is great and it's the only reason I'm still on 5.0.1.

I decided against waiting for the OTA update as I read few too many stories about devices bricking after receiving the 5.0.0. and 5.0.1 OTA update.

I tried 5.0.1 a little bit, but I went back to 4.4.4 AOKP rom because I liked the better customization & less bugs.  Although the Lollipop rom I flashed wasn't the factory image, it was an AOSP lollipop rom I believe.

I don't know if I noticed any battery issues, but I had a few apps that were kind of buggy and a few random freezes that I didn't have with 4.4.4.

I'm probably going to wait for AOKP or something like it to be updated to 5.x.x and then update then.

(Nexus 7 2013 32gb)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

i haven't noticed any difference in battery life myself. but then again i don't use it that much either.

but i don't like the new lock screen. i now have to swipe 2 times instead off once. 
(once to show enter password, then the 2nd time is entering the password).
used to take me staight to the enter password..

i also don't like the theme for the settings menu. the white solid background with green icons and back text. it just doesn't seem right some how.

but other than that it work fine for be :)

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

Thank you for the input all!

I tried 5.0.1 a little bit, but I went back to 4.4.4 AOKP rom because I liked the better customization & less bugs.  Although the Lollipop rom I flashed wasn't the factory image, it was an AOSP lollipop rom I believe.

I don't know if I noticed any battery issues, but I had a few apps that were kind of buggy and a few random freezes that I didn't have with 4.4.4.

I'm probably going to wait for AOKP or something like it to be updated to 5.x.x and then update then.

(Nexus 7 2013 32gb)

Cheers. Yeah even a couple of my apps were buggy at first. But updates were pushed through quickly for the few apps I used and all was good. But I do agree, the new UI has its challenges for a lot of apps in the ecosystem. After a bit of extended use, I'm finding that battery use is accelerated when watching video, much greater than in 4.4.4 IMO. Maybe it is all happening in my mind :P

i haven't noticed any difference in battery life myself. but then again i don't use it that much either.

but i don't like the new lock screen. i now have to swipe 2 times instead off once. 
(once to show enter password, then the 2nd time is entering the password).
used to take me staight to the enter password..

i also don't like the theme for the settings menu. the white solid background with green icons and back text. it just doesn't seem right some how.

but other than that it work fine for be :)

Same. Lock screen is annoying and it has this strange iOS like feel to it.

Agreed, the white bothers me as well, especially for someone who uses their tablet at night, white is an eyesore. Glad to hear that is working fine for you  :)

Do you guys think it is safer to wait for OTA updates or manually flash? I'm going with the latter, given all the stories I've read regarding devices getting bricked during the OTA process.

my update was over-the-air
came through Tue last week (9th Dec 2014).

oh i have the 2013 nexus 7 32gb version just incase that helps :)

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

• 1 month later...

Received the OTA 5.0.2 update today! Hesistant to update to 5.0.2 but hopefully it fixes the wifi issues and the poor battery performance I've been experiencing.

Apparently 5.0.2 fixes a lot of issues that 2012 owners were having, post the update to 5.0.x.