Intel NUC 2.0 Specs Revealed

http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-nuc-2-0-rock-canyon-broadwell-system-images-posted-intel_155157

http://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/anton-shilov/intel-publishes-pictures-of-next-gen-nuc-2-0-broadwell-based-systems/

So it seems the Broadwell-based NUCs will be shown off at CES as everyone expected. To me the specs are a little light in the loafers (Core I5 for the high end, Core I3 for the lower, both only dual-core), but still, HD Graphics 6000 with 48 EUs and Intel's 8th generation of graphics core (touted 40% greater throughput per EU due to macroarchitecture reorganization)... One NUC gets ethernet (Maple canyon), and the other gets 802.11 AC wireless (Rock Canyon). Why Intel didn't put both on Maple canyon I have no clue.

Big ticket items are 2 USB 3.0 ports (one being supercharge-capable), DP and HDMI ports (whether it's DP 1.2 or 1.2a is unknown. HDMI 2 or older is unknown), interchangeable tops for NFC wireless charging, and an optical remote reader for HTPC people.Other than that, the form is a bit sleeker/sexier, but the same box.

Currently fan/fanless is unknown.

Not much else to say until we see a demo, but the system power draw of just 45 watts under load from the wall should make a lot of people very happy.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Wait what?

HD graphics went from 4600 to 6000?

How? What? When?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Wait what?

HD graphics went from 4600 to 6000?

How? What? When?

You missed Intel already had 5000, 5100 Iris, and 5200 Iris Pro for Haswell and already has released HD 5300 (less powerful than 5000, but more powerful than 4600) into the wild and has listed specs for 5500, 5700, 6000, 6100, and 6200. The highest end models for Broadwell are 6000/100/200. the I3 gets HD 5500, the 24-core version vs. the 48-core version in the I5, but with a much higher clock speed than went into Core M's HD 5300 chip, topping out at 1150 instead of 850 MHz.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You missed Intel already had 5000, 5100 Iris, and 5200 Iris Pro for Haswell and already has released HD 5300 (less powerful than 5000, but more powerful than 4600) into the wild and has listed specs for 5500, 5700, 6000, 6100, and 6200. The highest end models for Broadwell are 6000/100/200. the I3 gets HD 5500, the 24-core version vs. the 48-core version in the I5, but with a much higher clock speed than went into Core M's HD 5300 chip, topping out at 1150 instead of 850 MHz.

oooh ok

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

oooh ok

Yeah, Intel's graphics naming scheme gets on my nerves...

Well, the cheapest HD6000+ unit could make an oustanding HTPC/Steam Machine. Quiet, compact, perfect. When you are not playing games from your main rig, you could just emulate whatever you want with the upgraded graphics, as well as lower end gaming natively.

Still betting on Carrizo I fully trust AMD on this one.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Still betting on Carrizo I fully trust AMD on this one.

An AMD NUC competitor would be very interesting indeed :) Console makers might get pissed though :P That would end up hurting AMD in the end actually.

An AMD NUC competitor would be very interesting indeed :) Console makers might get pissed though :P That would end up hurting AMD in the end actually.

I guess it would, but I don't think AMD is interested in making their own NUC right now, I think HTPC and budget gaming PC will be there place, if AMD is saying the truth which I'm sure they are Carrizo will be a very good option -it will destroy Kaveri which is pretty good-.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I guess it would, but I don't think AMD is interested in making their own NUC right now, I think HTPC and budget gaming PC will be there place, if AMD is saying the truth which I'm sure they are Carrizo will be a very good option -it will destroy Kaveri which is pretty good-.

It won't really destroy Kaveri... IPC is up, clock rates are down another 300-400 MHz. The GCN 1.2 arch. will mean AMD can do hybrid xFire with its full line of cards though (300 series excluded).

no more then a matx or mitx really, it's not like AMD would be publishing games or making the housings/assemblies.  The console makers would have to be pretty dumb to think that way IMO. 

Besides, so what if some other company wants to make a steam machine with an amd chip(s)?  The only interested party there is Intel as I see it.

Well, the cheapest HD6000+ unit could make an oustanding HTPC/Steam Machine. Quiet, compact, perfect. When you are not playing games from your main rig, you could just emulate whatever you want with the upgraded graphics, as well as lower end gaming natively.

Wait for it...

Can it run Crysis?

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Wait for it...

Can it run Crysis?

Iris Pro 5200 can run Crysis 1 at 50 fps last I checked. HD 5500 won't be able to, but I'd be surprised honestly if HD 6000 couldn't do a decent job, though it does depend on the RAM I suppose at that point.

Iris Pro 5200 can run Crysis 1 at 50 fps last I checked.

Morgan Freeman can run Crysis 5 inside Half-Life 6

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Morgan Freeman can run Crysis 5 inside Half-Life 6

All on a single-tape non-deterministic Turing Machine.

Are you familiar with with Gigabyte's BRIX PCs? They're very similar to NUCs and they have some AMD variants. I think it would be interesting if they released some Carrizo ones.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4748#ov

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4930#ov