TV - 4K or 1080p?

JJLabrier
Go to solution Solved by Epic_Nex,

Really? how would a 4K TV that can't upscale play cable TV? would it be in a smaller window instead of covering the whole screen? coz that would suck ass.

hold on let me rephrase this... Some 4k TVs can turn some resolutions into 4k resolution (or at least better than what it was originally) but not all can. The ones that can not do that, i assume have to be set to a lower resolution, the same as what your watching. So unless your 4k TV can turn that image it is getting into a better one, there is not really a point in a 4k Tv unless you plan on hooking up a computer to it, or like you get (forgot what it is called) and with it you can buy movies in 4k.

You also said that cable doesn't broadcast in 4K. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in at least having SOME content for it.

4 metres is a normal living-room distance, and I think at 60" you would see a difference, provided the content was there. I think it would be a shame to get such a thing and not game on it, but whatever.

I wouldn't have the horse GPU power to game on it, haha. I think I'm sticking with 1080p.

"Our conversations aint long, but you know what is." - Jason Derulo

I wouldn't have the horse GPU power to game on it, haha. I think I'm sticking with 1080p.

Are you sure? A 970 performs well at 4k especially on older games.

A 970 is fine for 4k as long as you don't plan to max out every game...

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Are you sure? A 970 performs well at 4k especially on older games.

A 970 is fine for 4k as long as you don't plan to max out every game...

I always max out my game settings so no 4K for my PC for a while.

get a 4k projector if its just for tv

Not a fan of projectors.

I always max out my game settings so no 4K for my PC for a while.

If you didn't bother with Anti-aliasing (because why would you?) I reckon a GTX 970 would max out most games at 27-30fps. Two of them would max out 4K at 60fps. Two 290Xs or an R9 295X2 would be very similar too, depending on whichever is cheaper where you are. If you're willing to spend that much on a TV for limited content, it's worth going the whole hog and making it magnificent imo.

Even if you did have to play on high instead of ultra, the quality difference by the resolution increase far outstrips the slight difference in effects, especially when you factor in just how blocky 1080p looks at 60".

What games do you play? I max out all my games at 4k on a single 970. texture. shadows. bloom. AA. to the max, everything feels smooth. 60 hz monitor.

TF2. Spore. Battlefield 4. Batman Arkham Origins. South Park Stick of Truth. This is what I have been playing.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

What games do you play? I max out all my games at 4k on a single 970. texture. shadows. bloom. AA. to the max, everything feels smooth. 60 hz monitor.

TF2. Spore. Battlefield 4. Batman Arkham Origins. South Park Stick of Truth. This is what I have been playing.

If you didn't bother with Anti-aliasing (because why would you?) I reckon a GTX 970 would max out most games at 27-30fps. Two of them would max out 4K at 60fps. Two 290Xs or an R9 295X2 would be very similar too, depending on whichever is cheaper where you are. If you're willing to spend that much on a TV for limited content, it's worth going the whole hog and making it magnificent imo.

Even if you did have to play on high instead of ultra, the quality difference by the resolution increase far outstrips the slight difference in effects, especially when you factor in just how blocky 1080p looks at 60".

I won't get 60FPS on 4K with a single 970 on the games I play. Dragon Age: Inquisition, Assasins Creed: Black Flag, Far Cry 4 Etc. Usually the latest highest quality titles are what I prefer.

Just a reminder guys, I mentioned in the OP in ALL CAPS that I'm not buying this TV for gaming. I'm specifically asking about which would be better if I were to just use it for cable TV. If I were to buy a monitor for gaming it would be a 34UM95-P not 4K.

I won't get 60FPS on 4K with a single 970 on the games I play. Dragon Age: Inquisition, Assasins Creed: Black Flag, Far Cry 4 Etc. Usually the latest highest quality titles are what I prefer.

Just a reminder guys, I mentioned in the OP in ALL CAPS that I'm not buying this TV for gaming. I'm specifically asking about which would be better if I were to just use it for cable TV. If I were to buy a monitor for gaming it would be a 34UM95-P not 4K.

I just told you you will get 30fps with one 970 and 60fps with two. People keep talking about gaming because gaming is literally the only thing available for it. If your budget is so extreme as to allow for a 60" 4K TV you may as well double up those GTX 970s, but if you're so determined NOT to game on it then there is no point whatsoever.

Of course, 1080p stretched across 60" will look like complete wank so do as you will.

I wouldn't want to be an early adopter, especially because of the lag of 60p@4k support.

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF SOMETHING 70" OR BIGGER, CONSIDER(only consider!!) 4K

OTHERWISE< SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET SOMETHING WITH BETTER PQ AT 1080P

MANY MANY MANY reviewers have proven time and time again that at regular viewing distances, even the most experienced

videophiles cannot recognize a difference in 4k vs 1080p (viewing 4k and 1080p content of course)

Picture quality is so much more important than your resolution when buying a tv, to the point that 4k is essentially a marketing gimmick for sizes smaller than 70".

so, not even mentioning the fact that 4k content is rare,

it is a complete waste of money AT 60"!!!!!

If you really want a good TV, ignore the gimmicks (4K <-- yes its pretty much a gimmick at this point, 3D) and focus on your PQ.

If you are on a budget, look to vizio's E-Series. Excellent black levels and local dimming, and by far the best value for your dollar. (60" for less than $1000)

If you have the coin ($2000-$4000) AND CAN FIND ONE get a Panasonic ST60, VT60, ZT60, Or a F8500. All of these except the 64" F8500 are discontinued.

I have personally tested more than 10 tvs in my home in the past 2 months; curved, 4k, LED, and Plasma. All 55" or 60"

UNTIL I FOUND MY F8500 PLASMA, My favorite was the E-series Vizio. since it was only $1000 for a 60" model and the blacks, picture recreation, and quality for the money

blew everything out of the water (yes, 4k and curved sets included).

I lucked out and found an F8500 Plasma at my local BB that an online purchaser never picked up, and swiped it for $2500. It blew away every single tv I had tested, and it

was by far the best money I have every spent.

Bottom Line, this is a computer based forum. 4K monitors DO have their place in this world since you sit close enough to recognize a difference in pixel density,

so most of the answers you are going to get here come from a background of assuming 4k is better than 1080p no matter what.

As i have quietly mentioned (lol) above, unless you are looking into projectors, or tvs much larger than 70", I GUARANTEE YOU you would not notice a difference between a

1080p and 4k TV at the regular viewing distance (which is what you are planning), other than the $1000s you could still have in your wallet.

Look into some Home Theater forums to learn more if you are interested in getting a good TV for your money,

there are a couple I am on but I wont post links out of respect for LTT (PM me for more information).

Yes there is alot of bold up there, but I am tired of consumers being hoodwinked by big box companies into buying something they don't need.

ie, Spend $100 on this cup cuz its made of carbon fiber, you dont need it to be CF, but its cooler and newer so it must be better at holding water than

a $0.02 red solo cup.

Hopefully this helps and saves you guys some money,

PM me with any questions,

Josh

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

IF YOU ARE THINKING OF SOMETHING 70" OR BIGGER, CONSIDER(only consider!!) 4K

OTHERWISE< SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET SOMETHING WITH BETTER PQ AT 1080P

MANY MANY MANY reviewers have proven time and time again that at regular viewing distances, even the most experienced

videophiles cannot recognize a difference in 4k vs 1080p (viewing 4k and 1080p content of course)

Picture quality is so much more important than your resolution when buying a tv, to the point that 4k is essentially a marketing gimmick for sizes smaller than 70".

so, not even mentioning the fact that 4k content is rare,

it is a complete waste of money AT 60"!!!!!

If you really want a good TV, ignore the gimmicks (4K <-- yes its pretty much a gimmick at this point, 3D) and focus on your PQ.

If you are on a budget, look to vizio's E-Series. Excellent black levels and local dimming, and by far the best value for your dollar. (60" for less than $1000)

If you have the coin ($2000-$4000) AND CAN FIND ONE get a Panasonic ST60, VT60, ZT60, Or a F8500. All of these except the 64" F8500 are discontinued.

I have personally tested more than 10 tvs in my home in the past 2 months; curved, 4k, LED, and Plasma. All 55" or 60"

UNTIL I FOUND MY F8500 PLASMA, My favorite was the E-series Vizio. since it was only $1000 for a 60" model and the blacks, picture recreation, and quality for the money

blew everything out of the water (yes, 4k and curved sets included).

I lucked out and found an F8500 Plasma at my local BB that an online purchaser never picked up, and swiped it for $2500. It blew away every single tv I had tested, and it

was by far the best money I have every spent.

Bottom Line, this is a computer based forum. 4K monitors DO have their place in this world since you sit close enough to recognize a difference in pixel density,

so most of the answers you are going to get here come from a background of assuming 4k is better than 1080p no matter what.

As i have quietly mentioned (lol) above, unless you are looking into projectors, or tvs much larger than 70", I GUARANTEE YOU you would not notice a difference between a

1080p and 4k TV at the regular viewing distance (which is what you are planning), other than the $1000s you could still have in your wallet.

Look into some Home Theater forums to learn more if you are interested in getting a good TV for your money,

there are a couple I am on but I wont post links out of respect for LTT (PM me for more information).

Yes there is alot of bold up there, but I am tired of consumers being hoodwinked by big box companies into buying something they don't need.

ie, Spend $100 on this cup cuz its made of carbon fiber, you dont need it to be CF, but its cooler and newer so it must be better at holding water than

a $0.02 red solo cup.

Hopefully this helps and saves you guys some money,

PM me with any questions,

Josh

Thanks Josh! Very informative!

I've decided not to get a 4K TV since the only reason anybody here is recommending one is for gaming when I clearly stated I'm not gaming on it.

1080p it is.

I just told you you will get 30fps with one 970 and 60fps with two. People keep talking about gaming because gaming is literally the only thing available for it. If your budget is so extreme as to allow for a 60" 4K TV you may as well double up those GTX 970s, but if you're so determined NOT to game on it then there is no point whatsoever.

Of course, 1080p stretched across 60" will look like complete wank so do as you will.

Well the thing is the TV I buy will not be hooked up to my computer. I just mentioned that IF I were to hook it up to my PC I wouldn't be getting 60 fps with my single 970. The TV isn't being bought for the purpose of gaming or hooking up to a PC which is why the "buying an extra 970 for 60 fps" is irrelevant.

Also the TV I sold was 73" 1080, and it looked just fine from 4 meters. You describe 1080p at 60" like its horrible which it definitely isn't (see RogueCow's post 2 posts back). I don't know how close you are sitting to that 60" 1080p TV for it to look "complete wank".

Well the thing is the TV I buy will not be hooked up to my computer. I just mentioned that IF I were to hook it up to my PC I wouldn't be getting 60 fps with my single 970. The TV isn't being bought for the purpose of gaming or hooking up to a PC which is why the "buying an extra 970 for 60 fps" is irrelevant.

Also the TV I sold was 73" 1080, and it looked just fine from 4 meters. You describe 1080p at 60" like its horrible which it definitely isn't (see RogueCow's post 2 posts back). I don't know how close you are sitting to that 60" 1080p TV for it to look "complete wank".

60" and above is the entire reason that 4K TVs even exist.

I don't know what you want from me tbh. I've given you the criteria for 4K to be relevant to you and you're going out of your way to preclude them from your plans, yet you're still asking if it is worth it.

60" and above is the entire reason that 4K TVs even exist.

I don't know what you want from me tbh. I've given you the criteria for 4K to be relevant to you and you're going out of your way to preclude them from your plans, yet you're still asking if it is worth it.

Right, and I appreciate your attempts to help. And the reasons you gave me were:

1. 1080p sucks at more than 60"

2. Gaming

And I addressed both reasons as to why they are not relevant to my situation. I wasn't asking for anymore from you. It was simple, if nobody can come up with anymore reasons to get a 4K TV that are relevant to me, then the conclusion is I should just get a 1080p TV.

Thanks Josh! Very informative!

I've decided not to get a 4K TV since the only reason anybody here is recommending one is for gaming when I clearly stated I'm not gaming on it.

1080p it is.

Glad to help! There are alot of "experts" on the internet

Who just shit on everything yet provide no practical advice.

I try to actually provide solid info found by myself and industry experts

To anyone who can use it so they don't waste money going by the advice given to them by salesmen or internet morons.

Current System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming     CPU: Intel i5 9600k      GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ti FTW Ultra Silent    PSU: EVGA 750 G2 80+ gold

Ram:  16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200    Storage: 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO/ 4TB WD Blue Case: Corsair 275R-White

Right, and I appreciate your attempts to help. And the reasons you gave me were:

1. 1080p sucks at more than 60"

2. Gaming

And I addressed both reasons as to why they are not relevant to my situation. I wasn't asking for anymore from you. It was simple, if nobody can come up with anymore reasons to get a 4K TV that are relevant to me, then the conclusion is I should just get a 1080p TV.

Well you are asking more of me because you are continuing this back and forth. I gave you the case for 4K. If that applies to you, great get 4K. If it doesn't then obviously you're not going to gain anything from it, so why are you bothering to continue this?

The only reason you should be considering it is if you want eyecandy.

There is gaming but as you said you are not interested in that.

There is also Netflix at 4k (very small number of shows last I checked, none too interesting), there are some 4k movie torrents floating around, but you should stay away from those and I bet those services/availability of torrents will only increase in the coming months. There was just a huge sale of stuff (Black Friday) and 4k tvs were on sale. It's not at the point of saturation but market saturation is slowly coming. As it reaches that more 4k content will be readily available.

This is all from an HTPC, or built in functionality mind you.

If you want to stay at cable's standard then that's okay too I suppose, but those guys are dinosaurs now. Basically, anything having to do with a PC, get 4k. Anything that's solely for cable broadcasting 1080p.

Although there are TVs that say they scale up picture.

Edit: I heard that Comcast (?) was providing 4k service over internet. So you never know what the cable companies may do to stay relevant. It could be that you regret not getting the 4k television once content is here, but, and this is a big but, price differences are much higher at the 60".

If you can afford it and money is no objection, then get the 4k 60 inch tv and be an early adopter. If you're budgeting get the 1080p 60" or a 55" 4k TV. It's not much to sacrifice 5 inches.

Play the greatest game ever. TF2. http://www.teamfortress.com/

Well you are asking more of me because you are continuing this back and forth. I gave you the case for 4K. If that applies to you, great get 4K. If it doesn't then obviously you're not going to gain anything from it, so why are you bothering to continue this?

Just because I reply to you doesn't mean I'm asking more from you. I simply believe it would be rude on my part to just straight up ignore you after you have gone through the trouble of replying to my thread. If I was asking for more from you I would have questions for you in my replies.

I really do appreciate your contribution to this thread, it really did help me decide what to get.

Thanks for your reply to the thread! I have decided to go with 1080p.