Advice about a build suggested to me by a redditor

The following build was suggested to me when i made a post on /r/buildapc about wanting to make a build but lacking the experience. I mentioned in the post how I am on a budget because I am a high school student.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dirt/saved/VVrRsY

I'm posting because I'm wondering if this build is cost-efficient, or just if anyone has any more suggestions. I have a lot of faith in the guy who suggested it to me; he was extremely helpful and seemed very knowledgeable, however, I figured it would be a good idea to get some more eyes on it only because this is a big thing for me and I don't want some part to be incompatible or missing out on something I could get that would save me money. I'd love to get some tips if anyone has some.

Credit to /u/SDXCplastic. He is the one who suggested the build to me, and I believe he created it in PcPartPicker.

Please note that the Novatouch TKL is not actually part of the build. I just put it on there to remember it in case I wanted to save for it after completion. Also note that I have already bought the motherboard, case, and GPU. I didn't think of posting this until now (after I bought them).

Thanks,

-Lansingdw

PS. I am new to the forums, I really hope I'm not posting this wrong, sorry if I am.

read mah sig

and BTW welcome to the forums

make sure to eye out the code of conduct and the new build planning threads

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Welcome! Seems good to me.

What was your max budget?

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Just having a cursory glance, it's ticking all the price to performance boxes, apart from the CPU. Which is pretty much the best CPU that makes sense for any gaming build. Along with a Z97 motherboard. A very good combination, but not exactly budget.

Get a cheaper power supply and drop the keyboard and upgrade to a 970.

970 > 270x+keyboard imo

RIP in pepperonis m8s

If you want cheaper than go with basic r9 270.  If you want better go with r9 280. Everything else looks ok.

Just having a cursory glance, it's ticking all the price to performance boxes, apart from the CPU. Which is pretty much the best CPU that makes sense for any gaming build.

it is the best but i would love to see intel come up with something to bridge the gap between the G3258 and the 4670/90K

maybe a K series core i3??  because that hyperthreading is great

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

it is the best but i would love to see intel come up with something to bridge the gap between the G3258 and the 4670/90K

maybe a K series core i3??  because that hyperthreading is great

True

Thank you for the warm welcome! Also I just read a thread about new posts and realized i left some info out. The build is 800$ (US) and I'm in saratoga springs NY. I like gaming, and I play far cry 4 and Morrowind among others. my favorite game is Dark souls. I only need 1 monitor. I have peripherals but might want to get better ones, and the reason I want to upgrade is because I usually game on my laptop but would like to be able to upgrade with the ever-changing industry.

What do you plan on using this build for?

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

Lots of tips, all of which are helpful. Seems like the redditor who suggested this to me really knew his stuff. Thank you all, I really appreciate the feedback!

What do you plan on using this build for?

I made a follow-up comment. It's right above yours- but to sum it up really just gaming. some games I like can be a bit demanding such as Far Cry 4. Thanks!

Ok, the build you gave us is about 170 over your budget.  Id suggest finding a cheaper keyboard.  If your set on having an ssd, maybe get a smaller one or change to a hard drive and save some money.

If you plan on overclocking, there isnt much you change change in terms of the mobo and cpu, if you do not want to overclock, switch to a non-k series i5 and an h-series board

Also id bump that gpu up to an r9 280, which you can get for about the same price

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

Um if you wanted to save some money you could go for an AMD cpu.

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

Welcome! Seems good to me.

What was your max budget?

pretty much 800$, so I might not get the Novatouch TKL until after I build it or something

Drop the keyboard and get a better GPU. Your main focus is on the system itself, so allocated as much money for performance, not some keyboard just because it has mechanical switch. The keyboard is way overpriced.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

pretty much 800$, so I might not get the Novatouch TKL until after I build it or something

Seems good then.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

If you don't have plans on overclocking, I suggest you get an i5 4460 (or even any 4th gen i3 if you really want to be budget) and a non-Z motherboard. You could use whatever it is you're gonna save to get a better graphics card (GTX 970).

Other than that the build looks solid as it is and again, lose the Novatouch you won't really need it at this point. It will be best to invest in the PC itself first, then get better peripherals once you're done.

Intel i5 4460 || Deepcool Gammaxx S40 || Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 || Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb DDR3 1600 CL9 || Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Asus 24x DVDRW OEM || Bitfenix Comrade Window White || Asus VX239h || Razer Blackwidow 2013 || Razer Deathadder Chroma || Windows 8.1 x64 SL || Crucial M550 256gb || Deepcool RGB Led Controller