CX600

AndrewZ3

I have a corsair CX600.  Lately I have been hearing some bad things about it.  However, it is made by seasonic which is a very good PSU brand and I have also heard good things about it.  I have a GTX 970 and a core i7.  Should I replace the CX series with an RM or AX series just to be safe and not risk destroying my expensive parts?

It's an ok PSU, i don't see a problem with it. Get another PSU if you don't want to risk anything.

The CX series is good for a budget. The RM and AX series are in a completely different price bracket, so only go for them if you can afford it. 

Corsair CX units are not Seasonic OEMs, they are made by Channel Well Technologies. Corsair only uses Seasonic OEMs on very little units if any today.

Get it, its a good high quality PSU. More than enough for your needs, you dont need to spend double to get an AX series or anything.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah infact there were reviews I read on the CX series that they are surprisingly very good and high grade when it comes to voltage rippling (something that cheap PSUs skip on and causes capacitor damage of components overtime), the only thing that makes them that inexpensive is the efficiency. They don't work well at 100% load and can dip under the 80% rating to like 78 75% but they are 100% stable that way regardless and the voltage ripple is barely affected.

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

The CX are fine for those on a budget, but they are NOT high-quality PSUs. They are based on an entry level design, and as such, Corsair put it on their budget/value series.

If you have the CX already, keep it. It would power your 970 just fine.

Also, 80+ certification are tested at 20%, 50%, and 100%. Unless you got the first or second revision of the CX series, the CXv3 will meet 82% efficiency at 100% load on a 115v line.