How to clean a radiator?

TheSTS

Over the next day or two I will rebuilding my system in a new case with a couple of new components.

This seems to me like a good time to give everything a good clean, and, as I will be swapping out the stock fan on my H60 for an NF-F12 I'll be needing to clean the radiator.

So, what are the best methods for cleaning a radiator? 1 limitation - I don't have any compressed air.

Blow on it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Blow through it or buy compressed air.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

cleaning the dust = hoover it

clean the inside = near boiling water run though it.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Over the next day or two I will rebuilding my system in a new case with a couple of new components.

This seems to me like a good time to give everything a good clean, and, as I will be swapping out the stock fan on my H60 for an NF-F12 I'll be needing to clean the radiator.

So, what are the best methods for cleaning a radiator? 1 limitation - I don't have any compressed air.

You could use a very soft long bristle paint bush to gently knock off the dust from the fins, I'm not sure if everyone will agree but as long as you don't get the pump wet you could rise out the fins of the radiator with some water and dry it off completely before re install.

There is no chance of me damaging it by hoovering? The idea of hoovering a computer component fills me with dread :P

You could use a very soft long bristle paint bush to gently knock off the dust from the fins, I'm not sure if everyone will agree but as long as you don't get the pump wet you could rise out the fins of the radiator with some water and dry it off completely before re install.

The idea of running water through it did cross my mind. I guess it has to be waterproof right? :]

The idea of running water through it did cross my mind. I guess it has to be waterproof right? :]

Just remove the fans and as long as you don't get the water onto the water block end where the pump is it will be fine, also the hoover idea would work well too, didn't occur to me. :P

I use a soft paint brush for cleaning pretty much everything in my system, compressed air is good I hear but a hoover will do the same, just don't touch the rad with it as you'll damage the metal chambers or fins. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

There is no chance of me damaging it by hoovering? The idea of hoovering a computer component fills me with dread :P

Its a RAD.. solid bit of metal there is 0% chance of anything bad happening haha

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Its a RAD.. solid bit of metal there is 0% chance of anything bad happening haha

Get a bit too excitable with it and hit metal on metal? There's still a chance of damaging it lol, but generally speaking it will be fine.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Get a bit too excitable with it and hit metal on metal? There's still a chance of damaging it lol, but generally speaking it will be fine.

I wasn't under the impression that my previous thought was rational ;]

Hoover it is, I'll be sure to keep the excitement to a minimum.

Thanks for the help!

You can use a clean paint brush to brush the fins and loosen the dust, fi you don't have a paint brush you can use your sister's hair brush but not mom's....respect the mom's..... then you can just block the port holes and run it under an open faucet with a strong water pressure till clean, for the inside you can make a mixture of warm distilled water, not boiled and vinegar and run it through your loop...yes through the loop because you need to clean the waterblocks, pump and reservoir too. Then after about half an hour you can check it and repeat if necessary. When you find it is clean enough you can just run just plain distilled water for another half of an hour to clean the vinegar from the components.

Connect back everything and fill with normal coolant and you should be good.  

Blow on it. 

this made me laugh. So many jokes came to my mind......

Blow through it or buy compressed air.

He said he doesn't have any compressed air.

hoover it.....lol you have to be joking and you are almost about the near boiling water.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I would say compressed air. You said you don't have any, I mean it's like $7 at probably a ton of stores close to you. If you're buying a new case & new components, I think you can afford some compressed air. It's going to work the best for you.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]