what kind of isopropyl alcohol to buy?(seemed like the best place to put this)

hi, i am planning on upgrading to watercooling over christmas(running stock cooler on overclockable CPU = sadqaz) and i realised i will need to wipe off the old thermal compound. then i realized i would need isopropyl alcohol, followed quickly by "uhmmm, i dunno anything about this" so, i just need some help figuring out what isopropyl alcohol to buy. sorry if this is in the wrong section, it looked like the best place to put this.(i am in canada, BTW, so please provide sites with canada "versions") (upgrading to a H110 if you were wondering)

Just go to a drug store, and find the cheapest stuff. There is no better or worse version. Though to be honest, I've removed thermal paste using just water before.

You should be able to find some at basically any pharmacy/drugstore. Just look for any bottle of the stuff, preferably 99%.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

Anything above 70% is fine. Higher concentration is better though. Get 90% or up if you can.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

99% isopropyl achohol you're local drug store unless you're in some european companies then you can get it online.

Edit: rexalls, i believe shoppers and maybe safeway. most local drug stores pretty much.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Any brand that says it's 99% isopropyl alcohol should be fine.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Just get the purest stuff you can find.  Higher the better. 

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

okay then. i guess i will go to my local drug store and ask. thanks guys! :) (i will try for 90% or above)

@Qazplm601 I couldn't find 99% myself but cvs carries 91% and you can get a nice sized bottle, maybe a 500ml for about $3

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

At my local drug store I got off-brand 91% isopropyl alcohol for like $2. Not a big expense :D

If you can't find any, get alcohol swabs.  Work just as well.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

If you can't find any, get alcohol swabs.  Work just as well.

thanks, i will keep that in mind :)

i use lighter fluid, weatherstrip adhesive remover, or enamel reducer if your alcohol

isn't at hand. they contain no residue contaminants.

If you can't find any try some cheap vodka  :lol:  :lol:

Timothy Harnamji

99%

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

uhm. i asked my dad to get some, he came back with some rubbing alcohol. it it 95% ethanol(not isopropyl), will this work?