[Updated] NVIDIA announces Tesla K80, first graphics card with 24GB RAM

Frosty11

CUDA is miles faster, and more developers like it as its really simple. oCL is... ill put it nicely, not quite there yet

Oh I'm not denying that, and it's a reason Nvidia's GpUs are well loved for compute. As per OpenCL not being there yet, I blame AMD and Nvidia. Intel got its act together with its compiler. OpenCL on a Xeon Phi is just as fast as CUDA on a Kepler-based Tesla per rated flop.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

when a card isnt really designed for graphics processing it shouldnt be called a graphics card. this is quite literally a coprocessor, just not on x86 instruction sets, but on CUDA (whatever the hell kind of instructions that uses)

I would agree with that for the really top end stuff,  however my point was more that we don't need to point it out, nor do we need to discuss it because what we call it does not change what it is.  All we do when we use a generic term is try to redefine what the product is and either undermine it's legitimacy or exaggerate it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I find the best part about this is that there are only 2 8-pins. AMD would have 4, therefor better.

In all honesty, you have to admit its pretty impressive how energy efficient Nvidia is.

everything is possible, not everything is advisable, this isnt. nor would you gain anything, im pretty sure these are bios locked to the clockspeed, and compute racks are always well ventilated

Yeah but it would still be baller as shit to have a couple of those on a top level x99 build with full water cooling.

I find the best part about this is that there are only 2 8-pins. AMD would have 4, therefor hotter

In all honesty, you have to admit its pretty impressive how energy efficient Nvidia is.

Fixed that for you.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh I'm not denying that, and it's a reason Nvidia's GpUs are well loved for compute. As per OpenCL not being there yet, I blame AMD and Nvidia. Intel got its act together with its compiler. OpenCL on a Xeon Phi is just as fast as CUDA on a Kepler-based Tesla per rated flop.

Yes but oCL is a bitch to code properly, and ugly as fuck. cuda is classy

I would agree with that for the really top end stuff,  however my point was more that we don't need to point it out, nor do we need to discuss it because what we call it does not change what it is.  All we do when we use a generic term is try to redefine what the product is and either undermine it's legitimacy or exaggerate it. 

well i think things should be called what they are. this is a tesla, its a coprocessor. its neither a geforce or a quadro which are graphics cards, designed for graphics compute/rendering. 

also, nvidia makes another product based on their GPUs, the Tegras... you dont see anyone calling that a graphics card do you

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Yeah but it would still be baller as shit to have a couple of those on a top level x99 build with full water cooling.

Fixed that for you.

oh, definately would love 2, since they are still using CUDA, i could use them for rendering. but, they are just a cool gimmick, if i wanted something usefull, id get the Quadro K6000 or a GTX Titan Z and be done with it. similar performance too

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

oh, definately would love 2, since they are still using CUDA, i could use them for rendering. but, they are just a cool gimmick, if i wanted something usefull, id get the Quadro K6000 or a GTX Titan Z and be done with it. similar performance too

Oh to have all the money in the world and just make the most ridiculous builds possible. Then do giveaways of them until the average gaming pc is 10x as powerful as the current console gen.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh to have all the money in the world and just make the most ridiculous builds possible. Then do giveaways of them until the average gaming pc is 10x as powerful as the current console gen.

utopia.

The titan z would be over 2x faster than the k6000 though.

The titan z would be over 2x faster than the k6000 though.

drivers help the 6000. and iirc it has a slight clock speed advantage, as well as more VRAM. More VRAM is more better in 3D rendering

drivers help the 6000. and iirc it has a slight clock speed advantage, as well as more VRAM. More VRAM is more better in 3D rendering

You could buy 3 titan z's for the price of one k6000. not sure the ram advantage is that valuable.

If you need that much ram you'd probably be at the stage of renting a renderfarm.

You could buy 3 titan z's for the price of one k6000. not sure the ram advantage is that valuable.

sometimes it is. i can use all the ram i get. less ram means less detailed scene. 

That comes with a sexy cooler. Hopefully with this card the whole GRID implementation will get a little more widespread. I find it a genius solution ideal for those gaming oriented cyber cafes.

Yes but oCL is a bitch to code properly, and ugly as fuck. cuda is classy.

Eh, I disagree. They're both easy once you have the boiler plate down.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Eh, I disagree. They're both easy once you have the boiler plate down.

well i started both when i went to learn GPGPU, but i really hated oCL. so now i know cuda xD

:o

Lol I wonder if you could watercool that. But would you really want to?

Also, can it run minecraft with optifine maxed out, on amplified world type? :P

Ohh look, and EK waterblock for Tesla K20/K20x :http://www.frozencpu.com/products/19463/ex-blc-1436/EK_nVidia_Tesla_K20K20x_Series_Liquid_Cooling_Block_-_Copper_Stainless_Steel_EK-FCTK20.html?tl=g30c311s792&id=JtCk8PbK

Albeit, it isn't for the k80...

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Lol, only $7000. I know it is not for the average consumer but still.

yeah, its a similar price to one highend E5. which is weird. id think this would go along E7

yeah, its a similar price to one highend E5. which is weird. id think this would go along E7

I think even some Indie devs could not even afford a single one, you could buy a really nice car even with that much money.

You didn't read the OP.

I only read that and I know it's 7k.

I did read it. I'm just saying I don't even wanna think about the ridiculous price..

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

I think even some Indie devs could not even afford a single one, you could buy a really nice car even with that much money.

or a really powerful render rig. im talking a 5960x, 128GB of ram, and 4 titan blacks

or a really powerful render rig. im talking a 5960x, 128GB of ram, and 4 titan blacks

Holly Balls! ( Forum pun intended) you are right! That is a monster of a system and you would still have money to spare!

Holly Balls! ( Forum pun intended) you are right! That is a monster of a system and you would still have money to spare!

you could spend that on a 4K monitor or 2 xD

you could spend that on a 4K monitor or 2 xD

You could get the Dell 5k monitor even xD

You could get the Dell 5k monitor even xD

nope, thats 2K. im not sure you can fit that in. but if you can be bothered, make a pcpp.com build and try getting it in xD