TLDR: Great product, I was blown away after upgrading from a set of Siberia V2's and would highly recommend them to anyone looking into getting this product. They are rather low in terms of bass output when compared to bass heavy alternatives such as the Razer Electra or anything Beats related but as a result everything else seems clearer and easier to recognize / distinguish.

Background

I've been listening to music all my life like many people, I also fall into the gamer group of individuals which has commonly resulted in purchases from Logitech, SteelSeries and Razer. In addition to that I commonly listen to anything I enjoy ranging from instrumental / classical to electronic music but most specifically Trance, Drum and Bass, Rock and Acoustic. Given the background I have with music and my priorities as a gamer I have typically chosen products based on comfort and features specific to gaming (integrated microphones, low weight, comfort for extended periods of time). Many of my choices I made under the assumption that I was getting an excellent audio experience which has changed after this recent purchase. I am also using on-board audio and am unsure if a soundcard or headphone AMP would make my experience with any of the products mentioned any better.

The headset I am most experienced with is the SteelSeries Sibera v2 which I've been using for a while so many of my comparisons will be made to this product.

Audio Quality
Coming from one of the most popular gaming headsets (Steelseries Siberia v2) the M50s are a huge step above what I was used to and expecting. I tested this product by listening to the normal music I listen to and some songs I am extremely common with and I was blown away by the additional instruments and clarity of the vocals I was experiencing with the M50's. One example I can use is Gravity by A Perfect Circle, with the SteelSeries Siberia v2 the drums sound decent (or what I used to consider good) but after switching to the M50's I can now hear each individual hit of the drums and can clearly make out the difference between every single sound. In the same exact song Maynard's voice is so unbelievably deep in parts of the song that I got goosebumps listening to it on my walk home from work tonight as in the years that I have listened to this song I have never noticed how deep his voice actually gets in parts of this song and was caught off guard as a result.

I then decided to try another song I was common with and this time I chose Alone Tonight by Above and Beyond, listening to this song has always been an enjoyable experience with my Siberia's, moving up to the M50's I once again started noticing things I had never noticed before due to the clarity of every single sound being outputted by the M50's. There are several parts of the song that I enjoyed and I could never really put my finger on it but listening to it again with the M50's there is some piano in it which I am fond of. Another example is the lyric which is repeated (I wouldn't be standing here alone tonight) throughout the song, before I would hear it maybe four times max when it repeated and it would blend in with the rest of the song, with the M50's at parts it feels like I hear this specific lyric two or three more times but due to how quiet it was I wasn't hearing it on the Siberia's.

These two songs caused me to rethink just how I was listening to music and changed how I viewed many of my old favorites, I have found a new love for many songs that before I was fond of but wasn't deadly in love with, because of this I feel like for every year I was listening to music without a high quality product like the M50's I was doing my ears a disservice. I was absolutely blown away by the quality, I can hear so many things that I just wasn't able to hear before and as a result I am geekishly carrying my M50's around and getting all of my friends to try them and see if they can tell a difference in an effort to see if anyone else has the same experience I did with my switch to these.

Since getting these I have been re-experiencing many of my old favorites, I've found a new love for a lot of videos that include Two Steps from Hell compositions and anything with Jeremy Soule has been reborn and is a pleasure to experience with my ears with examples being Two Steps from Hell - Heart of Courage and Fear Not This Night by Jeremy Soule which were both two songs I enjoyed previously but have come to enjoy much more with a higher quality set of headphones.

There are several other things I've noticed in the short time I've had my M50's such as in the game League of Legends there is a noise that occurs when you move your potion from one inventory slot to the other which I was unaware of with my Siberia's, this wasn't the only thing I noticed as several times throughout the course of several league matches I was hearing various noises I had never heard in League of Legends before as they had simply blended in with my previous headphones. Another game example if World of Warcraft which I've played for nearly a decade, I have always found the music rather annoying in the game and have always muted it but since switching to my M50's I have found a new love for it as it's really good at amplifying what is going on around you in a specific area making the experience more enjoyable as a whole.

Comfort

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50's are comfortable but there is some noticeable clamping when using them which is extremely noticeable when compared to the SteelSeries Sibera V2. I expect that after a while they will eventually break in and the comfort will improve as with all headphone / headsets but for the first little while I am more than expecting a number of headaches caused by the clamping of this product which I will deal with in exchange for the audio quality.

The only other comfort related issue I have noticed is that these get rather hot due to the material used on the ear cups and the rather closed design of the M50's and due to these reasons this product isn't amazing in terms of comfort but is more than acceptable and may even become more comfortable as time goes on which if this occurs I will be sure to update this review / thread with any additional feedback I have. They aren't as comfortable as the SteelSeries Sibera V2's but are more comparable to the Razer Electra's which had some clamping which was less of an issue after about 45 - 55 hours of being on my head. In terms of Audio Quality they are leagues better than the Electra's however.

Final Thoughts

I purchased the M50's with the purpose of replacing my Sibera's with a better product in terms of audio quality and thus far I have been more than impressed by what has been offered by the Audio-Technica M50's and due to this I am more than willing to provide these with my personal recommendation which to the people I know in real life may cause a few upgrades for people in the future. As for everyone else these are a terrific product and I would highly recommend them, I found them on sale for $140 from Amazon.ca (used the TechTips Referral Link :P) which for that price I am more than happy to recommend them to people looking for a pair of headphones they can use for music, gaming and watching movies with it's strength lying primarily in audio accuracy / music listening.

Haven't tried the M50X? (I think that's the name of the newer model.)

About the only thing they improve on is comfort but it makes a world of difference (not like they needed to improve on the audio quality in that price range).

This sort of builds on what Rorgash says (think of this is constructive criticism should you do more of these reviews) where a score doesn't serve much purpose since it's all relative to your previous experiences and other people you're telling about the product won't have the same experiences.

Though it occurs to me as I'm writing this that you may have just said 10/10 as an expression rather than an actual score.

Anyway, good review of the product overall.

Good review! ;)  The scoring needs to be.....well,  explained or rationalized at least. Say, for a sub $150 pair of cans, you rate them as 10/10, or whatever score you feel is appropriate. I've recently started to re-evaluate my own perception of what good sound sounds like (if you know what I mean). Previously, I'd felt my HD555 was pretty good, pretty wide soundstage, airy with mids that didn't sound recessed to me. So when I'd gotten the HX Cloud, I felt the sound was good for a closed back cans/headset and I was able to listen to music....and enjoyed them at that point in time. 'Course, the HD555 kicked it in terms of sound reproduction (to me) and music was simply more enjoyable. Then I upped my 'gameplay' by getting a headphone DAC/AMP + Sennheiser HD800 and all my previous preconceptions about what constitute 'good sound' were tossed out of the window. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Haven't tried the M50X? (I think that's the name of the newer model.)

About the only thing they improve on is comfort but it makes a world of difference (not like they needed to improve on the audio quality in that price range).

This sort of builds on what Rorgash says (think of this is constructive criticism should you do more of these reviews) where a score doesn't serve much purpose since it's all relative to your previous experiences and other people you're telling about the product won't have the same experiences.

Though it occurs to me as I'm writing this that you may have just said 10/10 as an expression rather than an actual score.

Anyway, good review of the product overall.

How much do the M50X improve on comfort? I have the normal M50s, I thought the only difference in the M50X was the detachable cables. If comfort is a factor I might consider selling mine and directly upgrading.

Then again I actually find the default M50s comfortable, I like their tight fit but that's just preference.

How much do the M50X improve on comfort? I have the normal M50s, I thought the only difference in the M50X was the detachable cables. If comfort is a factor I might consider selling mine and directly upgrading.

Then again I actually find the default M50s comfertable, I like their tight fit but that's just preference.

My issues with the original were:

• Clamping on my head which caused my right ear to ache after a while - resulting in me sometimes only having it on my left ear
  • Ears would sweat

The latter isn't an issue for me with the new model and I only get the first issue maybe once every few months (so I tend to forget it's even an issue) compared to almost daily with the old.

They've done this by making it lighter and changing the leather pads to a much softer and plush one.

The only other noticeable change is the detaching cable you mention which has a lock mechanism where you plug it into the headphone and rotate around 90 degrees until you hear/feel a click.

Overall between the 2 I'd say get the newer model since there's no "dealing" with flaws to enjoy the sound even if there's a price difference.

Only reason I brought it up was because it's been out for a while now and the OP is about the old model.

The M50's have huge clamping out of the box, I found that if you manually stretched out the headband using one of the guides around the internet they were much more comfortable. The M50's were uncomfortable for me after roughly two hours (or more) of use but stretching the headband out fixed that completely and since then I have used them for well over four hours without noticing them too much which as time goes on they will eventually stretch out more from what I've been reading from previous users.

As for the other questions no I haven't tried the X model M50's, the reason I purchased the M50's is because both their coiled / straight cable models were on Amazon for under $140 shipped this past weekend. I haven't tried the new model but I've heard much of what I mentioned I wasn't happy with was fixed in the next revision.

The M50's have huge clamping out of the box, I found that if you manually stretched out the headband using one of the guides around the internet they were much more comfortable. The M50's were uncomfortable for me after roughly two hours (or more) of use but stretching the headband out fixed that completely and since then I have used them for well over four hours without noticing them too much which as time goes on they will eventually stretch out more from what I've been reading from previous users.

As for the other questions no I haven't tried the X model M50's, the reason I purchased the M50's is because both their coiled / straight cable models were on Amazon for under $140 shipped this past weekend. I haven't tried the new model but I've heard much of what I mentioned I wasn't happy with was fixed in the next revision.

Honestly I'd suggest seeing if you can sell your current one and buy the new model. If the M50X was the old model you got for $140 and there was a newer model, I'd say stick with the M50X purely because there isn't anything wrong with it so any areas the newer model is better in would only be an improvement whereas the M50X corrects a "flaw" with the M50 - the comfort.

Up to you though, everyone's heads are different and it seems you aren't as bothered by the M50s as I was.

Honestly I'd suggest seeing if you can sell your current one and buy the new model. If the M50X was the old model you got for $140 and there was a newer model, I'd say stick with the M50X purely because there isn't anything wrong with it so any areas the newer model is better in would only be an improvement whereas the M50X corrects a "flaw" with the M50 - the comfort.

Up to you though, everyone's heads are different and it seems you aren't as bothered by the M50s as I was.

I was bothered by it but after stretching them like in the link I provided the clamping has almost completely disappeared and they are now easily as comfortable as my Siberia's and much more comfortable than every Razer Headset I have ever tried with the most recent being the Electra which I gave away for free.

I was bothered by it but after stretching them like in the link I provided the clamping has almost completely disappeared and they are now easily as comfortable as my Siberia's and much more comfortable than every Razer Headset I have ever tried with the most recent being the Electra which I gave away for free.

Just shows everyone is different. :) I also did that but I had no success. :\

Just shows everyone is different. :) I also did that but I had no success. :\

I did it several times, once it was still too much, the next time it was still too much and then it took several stretches before I started noticing a difference. I might be used to it because I had to live with a Razer Electra for a month or two when I picked it up as a replacement for like $15 from NCIX and that headset was by far the worst headset in terms of clamping I have ever experienced. The M50's are still noticeable but they are just slightly more noticeable than my Sibera's which have been broken in for about a year now.

It could just be sensitivity issues around your ears, neck and jaw I however only have issues with my lower back so this doesn't cause any sort of sensitivity or tingling or discomfort after prolonged use like as an example many comfortable chairs do after several minutes of usage for me but other people notice nothing.

Set font color to Auto Auto Auto.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

• 2 weeks later...

It's been almost two weeks and the M50's have become much more comfortable with usage, sound quality is the same, everything is the same besides the comfort.

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of getting these.  Any noticeable benefit from a DAC amp?

"Yet another stands before us... Then so be it. For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."

I am thinking of getting these.  Any noticeable benefit from a DAC amp?

I've only tried it with internal DAC's, the most recent being the powered headphone amp / audio chip on the Z97X-UD3H-BK motherboard and there isn't much of a difference in terms of quality but there is in terms of loudness. Most of what I've read seems to say that these work well with everything and that there isn't much of a difference unless you're willing to spend a lot on a DAC/AMP setup over a good onboard audio offering.

I've only tried it with internal DAC's, the most recent being the powered headphone amp / audio chip on the Z97X-UD3H-BK motherboard and there isn't much of a difference in terms of quality but there is in terms of loudness. Most of what I've read seems to say that these work well with everything and that there isn't much of a difference unless you're willing to spend a lot on a DAC/AMP setup over a good onboard audio offering.

Ended up getting Sennheiser 558s.  Will try them stock, then maybe do the earpiece mod and pair it with a FiiO E10K because supposedly you can get a 598 sound with the mod, and the E10K has a bass booster to make up for the bass lost from the mod.

"Yet another stands before us... Then so be it. For the curse of life, is the curse of want. And so, you peer... Into the fog, in hope of answers."

Ended up getting Sennheiser 558s. Will try them stock, then maybe do the earpiece mod and pair it with a FiiO E10K because supposedly you can get a 598 sound with the mod, and the E10K has a bass booster to make up for the bass lost from the mod.

The earpiece mod does not change much in all honestly. Probably not even worth doing. It doesn't magically turn them into 598s like some think. And yes I have earpiece modified my 558s.

As to the m50s, they're good but for my closed set of cans I chose beats solo 2s. I wear these in public and the m50s are not an attractive set. They are huge and stick far out on either side of your head. Looks like you have two satellite dishes on each side. While the beats are small and sleek. The beats are also superbly comfortable and in my opinion sound better (my ex had m50s so I've used both).

To each their own.

The earpiece mod does not change much in all honestly. Probably not even worth doing. It doesn't magically turn them into 598s like some think. And yes I have earpiece modified my 558s.

As to the m50s, they're good but for my closed set of cans I chose beats solo 2s. I wear these in public and the m50s are not an attractive set. They are huge and stick far out on either side of your head. Looks like you have two satellite dishes on each side. While the beats are small and sleek. The beats are also superbly comfortable and in my opinion sound better (my ex had m50s so I've used both).

To each their own.

Yes, it does. That is the only difference between them. There isn't a significant change because the 558 and 598 are almost identical. If you want good looking headphones that actually sound decent, v-moda has options that beat beats in every way (including possibly looks)

Ended up getting Sennheiser 558s.  Will try them stock, then maybe do the earpiece mod and pair it with a FiiO E10K because supposedly you can get a 598 sound with the mod, and the E10K has a bass booster to make up for the bass lost from the mod.

Don't do the mod, you will lose your warranty and it won't really change the sound, they already sound practically identical.

Yes, it does. That is the only difference between them. There isn't a significant change because the 558 and 598 are almost identical. If you want good looking headphones that actually sound decent, v-moda has options that beat beats in every way (including possibly looks)

Don't do the mod, you will lose your warranty and it won't really change the sound, they already sound practically identical.

I believe you are incorrect. The foam mod turned the old 555s into the 595s. With the 558/598 this is not the case. If you find something that proves me wrong I'll stand corrected but I'm nearly positive they do not become the same set of cans from my wanderings around headfi and other websites. 

As to the V-Modas, it's personal preference. I didn't find them particularly comfortable when I tried them and I think the shape is weird, nerdy sci fi looking. To each their own. They've also not been compared favorably to the beats solo 2s from a few reviewers including Tyll. 

I believe you are incorrect. The foam mod turned the old 555s into the 595s. With the 558/598 this is not the case. If you find something that proves me wrong I'll stand corrected but I'm nearly positive they do not become the same set of cans from my wanderings around headfi and other websites. 

As to the V-Modas, it's personal preference. I didn't find them particularly comfortable when I tried them and I think the shape is weird, nerdy sci fi looking. To each their own. They've also not been compared favorably to the beats solo 2s from a few reviewers including Tyll. 

Head-fi is basically a big circle jerk of people that think more expensive products are ALWAYS better, and you should always take 98% of what's on there with a grain of salt IMHO.

Have you not seen the frequency response graphs of the 558 and 598? They're virtually identical and have the same drivers I believe as well.

Taking the foam out will raise up the upper treble in the 558 that are lower than the 598, bringing them up to close to the same response as the 598.

e2v5n.png

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Almost got these headphones.

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Previous Owner of the M50s now have an M50x.

I don't think there is that much clamping force I've felt stronger headphones in my life. The clamping force is greater than most headphones but it's not absurd in my experience. Persoanlly I kind of like it.

both the M50s and M50x are called bass canons by some audio philes and that is because they are closed back and have sealing cups by default. I was able to fix this by picking up a replacement pair of cups from shure with velour. The actual reason i got extra cups was that I use these for gaming and the default cups made me sound like I was in a box when i talked in chat bacause of how well they sealed, the new pads are more open.

Why did I get the M50x over the M50s? Simply because I needed the detachable cable(s) I noticed NO difference in sound quality or clamping force. I just needed the detachable cables because I leave the long one at my desk where I plugs in behind my computer and then when I'm on the go I use a shorter cable.

TekSyndicate Forum Moderator: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/users/njm1112

5930K@4.3Ghz | 16GB 4x4 2133Mhz | r9-290 | 6TB Raid5 | 250GB 850Evo | 8.1pro | RM750

Thanks for the input.  I'll pass on the mod for now.

The only issue I had with my M50's was the clamping, that was solved by bending them slightly, I simply didn't want to wait for several weeks for the headband to break in so I chose to do it manually. Overall these are the best headphones I've owned but I am now planning on taking another step up to something better in the future. I like them, I find them kind of low on the bass side of things compared to what I was used to but it's definitely there. It made me enjoy a genre of music that I had grown tired of again.