I need help picking a motherboard

Go to solution Solved by i_build_nanosuits,

Selecting by color, those are the boards that match somewhat or perfectly to your build color...they also all supports 2 way crossfire/SLI fully at 8x/8x speed, so anyone of these boards would do...pick the one you like the most and fit your budget...i'd recommend going for the cheaper ones since motherboard won't affect performance and overclocking potential much with haswell chips:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#c=99&l=2&C=6,11,12,14,20,22,85&sort=a8

If your build has pure yellow accents the MSI Mpower is likely to be the one that is the best and match your colors the most accurately, but it's also a bit on the expensive side to me...way more than i would ever personaly invest in a motherboard or suggest you invest in one...but it's a darn good motherboard that's for sure...very stable, lots of power phases, just very well built and awesome motherboard all around.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97mpower

I am planing on upgrading to a intel i7 4790k and was wondering what your recommendations would be on which motherboard would be best for me? I am also wanting to put a 2nd Amd R9 290 in later down the road. The color scheme for my pc is white, yellow, and black.

Current pc specs

Cput Amd 3120

gpu sapphire R9 290

Mobo asus m5a97 le r2.0

Psu Thermaltake 1325w gold plus

Ram 16gb patriot memory

Case nzxt 630 windowed edition

MSI Z97 Mpower or Z97s SLI Plus 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

MSI Gaming 5

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

What do you mean by AMD 3120? Please post a link.

Sorry I am doing this on my phone and it auto corrected to that from the 8120.

You posted this 3 times. Anyway, what's your budget?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You posted this 3 times. Anyway, what's your budget?

Around 150 to 200 usd

Around 150 to 200

How about the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

you want to change your fx-8320 for a i7-4790k? what do you do with your computer? for what purpose?

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

Selecting by color, those are the boards that match somewhat or perfectly to your build color...they also all supports 2 way crossfire/SLI fully at 8x/8x speed, so anyone of these boards would do...pick the one you like the most and fit your budget...i'd recommend going for the cheaper ones since motherboard won't affect performance and overclocking potential much with haswell chips:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#c=99&l=2&C=6,11,12,14,20,22,85&sort=a8

If your build has pure yellow accents the MSI Mpower is likely to be the one that is the best and match your colors the most accurately, but it's also a bit on the expensive side to me...way more than i would ever personaly invest in a motherboard or suggest you invest in one...but it's a darn good motherboard that's for sure...very stable, lots of power phases, just very well built and awesome motherboard all around.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97mpower

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you want to change your fx-8320 for a i7-4790k? what do you do with your computer? for what purpose?

I am not getting good fps in most games no mater what setting it is the same fps. I also am going to start some light video editing.

I am not getting good fps in most games no mater what setting it is the same fps. I also am going to start some light video editing.

fair enough. its true the Intel have better single thread performance vs AMD.

I find odd that you suffer from low FPS with an fx-8320. i'm rocking an fx-6300 with a gtx 650ti and all my games run fine.

as for the video editing, intel will do it slightly faster than AMD. is your time worth that much? 

have you try overclocking you CPU?

fair enough. its true the Intel have better single thread performance vs AMD.

I find odd that you suffer from low FPS with an fx-8320. i'm rocking an fx-6300 with a gtx 650ti and all my games run fine.

as for the video editing, intel will do it slightly faster than AMD. is your time worth that much? 

have you try overclocking you CPU?

6300 w/ 650Ti vs. 8120 w/ 290....

A 290 is FAR more powerful than a 650Ti

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6300 w/ 650Ti vs. 8120 w/ 290....

A 290 is FAR more powerful than a 650Ti

no doubt about that!! i'm trying to understand why he's having Fps problem with a superior rig than mine. and i dont have such problem.

and first of all, what do you consider low fps?

Hes probably (I'd hope) running at much higher settings than you are. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hes probably (I'd hope) running at much higher settings than you are. 

i certainly hope too! lol

but still the question is left unanswered, what is a low FPS? i had in mind that 60fps was the general objective for the PCMR. 

and isnt more than 60fps kinda useless if your monitor is a 60hz? we dont even know what OP monitor is...give us more info OP!! pl0x!

but still the question is left unanswered, what is a low FPS? i had in mind that 60fps was the general objective for the PCMR. 

and isnt more than 60fps kinda useless if your monitor is a 60hz? we dont even know what OP monitor is...give us more info OP!! pl0x!

If he's playing a game, which is highly dependant on the CPU, then his gpu could be bottlenecked quite a bit. So, depending on the game, its possible hes not even getting 60 fps. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

no doubt about that!! i'm trying to understand why he's having Fps problem with a superior rig than mine. and i dont have such problem.

in regards to gaming the FX-6300 is a superior CPU to the FX-8120...faster clock speed and higher IPC makes the 6300 a better gaming chip believe it or not.

And if you would have a powerful GPU you'd feel those chips are slower than the GPU can handle...by far.

With your 650ti you get 30fps most of the time in most games so you don't feel the slow downs and hiccups cause you're basically running slow all the time.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I really don't care about the number as long as it looks smooth, in most games I have very frequent drops to like 20 or so and it is starting to get annoying that I can't take advantage of my gpu that I payed 500 bucks for.