VS 08 compatible VS 13 source files.

theKumba

Is there a way to create Visual Studio 2008 compatible source files and file structures (projects) in Visual Studio 2013? I need it for school, since they only use 2008 there.

Also it's a pain in the ass to have to have to create a new file before handing out my homework every single time.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

I've successfully changed versions before by manually editing some files with notepad like the solution file. But it wasn't 2013 to 2008. I also don't recall the process. Something like this (note that example is now incomplete since the link is dead).

You're probably better off doing one of the following:

• seeing if you can get a copy of VS2008 from your school, or another source, and install it on your machine. Looks like you might be able to get it here
  • Just do all your coding at school in the correct IDE

You might also be able to code in 2013 and then copy over your files to a vs2008 solution but I don't recall if this will cause problems. I'd recommend one of the above.

I've successfully changed versions before by manually editing some files with notepad like the solution file. But it wasn't 2013 to 2008. I also don't recall the process. Something like this (note that example is now incomplete since the link is dead).

You're probably better off doing one of the following:

• seeing if you can get a copy of VS2008 from your school, or another source, and install it on your machine. Looks like you might be able to get it here
  • Just do all your coding at school in the correct IDE

You might also be able to code in 2013 and then copy over your files to a vs2008 solution but I don't recall if this will cause problems. I'd recommend one of the above.

I'll probably download the 2008 version, which shouldn't be a problem since I'm dreamspark member. I'll probably code in 2013 and then convert it in the 2008 version. Thanks for the reply.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

Yeah, my class is using 2012 so I just use 2012. No reason in using a different one if it is only going to cause trouble.

Yeah, my class is using 2012 so I just use 2012. No reason in using a different one if it is only going to cause trouble.

That's true, but I can't blame him when the difference is 2013 to 2008. VS2008 is just not as nice to use as 2012 or 2013 (in my opinion), it's too dated lol

You can do it on per project basis. You can't have whole solution downgraded though, so if you want to work on 1 solution in both versions, create new solution in 2008 and DON'T upgrade when asked in 2013.

It should then by default just open the solution in 2013 and project should have "(Visual Studio 2008)" next to its name.

You can always override the toolset used by right clicking on your project, going to properties, and under Configuration Properties -> General -> General -> Platform Toolset changing it to desired version. Note that they're not backwards compatible.