i5 4690k vs i7 4790k

I'm looking for a new cpu for gaming, either the i5 4690k or the i7 4790k. I have already made my choice for the GPU (an asus gtx 970 strix).

I'm looking for a new cpu for gaming, either the i5 4690k or the i7 4790k. I have already made my choice for the GPU (an asus gtx 970 strix).

i7 really isn't worth the money for just gaming, go with the i5 4690k and overclock it.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Money not a problem? 4790k.

Money could be better spent elsewhere? 4690k.

It's a $100 difference that doesn't really stand up while gaming, not worth it for gaming only IMO. If getting a 4690k + GTX 980 is a possibility, then it's better than a 4790k + GTX 970.

Get a decent cooler for any one of them.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Are video editing or 3d rendering on a daily basis?

If not, get a 4690k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If money ain't a problem go i7

if money is a problem go i5.

stick with what you want. 

if you stick with what you need even an i5 is totally overkill just for gaming. even your 970 is.

heck even spending more than 900$ (us) just for playing games is even overkill.

so IMO stick with what you want and what "your wallet" can date.

Live your life like a dream.

I made up my mind and I'm going with the i5 4690k and give it a solid OC. Any recommendations for a good cooler?

I made up my mind and I'm going with the i5 4690k and give it a solid OC. Any recommendations for a good cooler?

What's your budget?

Why can you only order from one website? Just curious.

And if you can afford it, just go for the 4790k, or wait a bit and see what broadwell has in store for us.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I live in Switzerland and many electronics are much more expensive... this is the only website I can order from https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/producttype/cpu-coolers-29?tagIds=76-526 my budget would be at around 110 CHF 

be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 3

Noctua NH-D15

Noctua NH-D14

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

...there are quit a few good ones within your budget available there.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Mild overclock and incredible performance for its price: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Intense overclocking: Dark Rock Pro 3 is nice, NH-D14 is the old king and NH-D15 is the new king. F*ck AIO coolers.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

And if you can afford it, just go for the 4790k, or wait a bit and see what broadwell has in store for us.

Because they are like the only swiss based seller of pc parts and they have the best prices but are still expensive compared to the US ;) 

Because they are like the only swiss based seller of pc parts and they have the best prices but are still expensive compared to the US ;)

You can't order from like newegg and have it shipped to you? Just curious.

You're making me reconsider again  :rolleyes: basically my plan was to buy the i7 with a cheaper cooler like the noctua nh-u14s and maybe do some light OCing or to buy the i5 with cooler for intense OCing. But because this is going to be my first build I'm not sure if I should go for heavy OCing as I have never done this before. Whit this in mind I have also read that the higher the OC the shorter the life span of your CPU.

You can't order from like newegg and have it shipped to you? Just curious.

Have considered this but it's pretty expensive to ship it to switzerland, I'm going to pay taxes which are fairly high and I don't really wan't my parts to break during the shipping.

You're making me reconsider again  :rolleyes: basically my plan was to buy the i7 with a cheaper cooler like the noctua nh-u14s and maybe do some light OCing or to buy the i5 with cooler for intense OCing. But because this is going to be my first build I'm not sure if I should go for heavy OCing as I have never done this before. Whit this in mind I have also read that the higher the OC the shorter the life span of your CPU.

I would not advise that noctua cooler. I had it, and when hooked up in push pull with another noctua fan it had this HORRIBLE whining noise. Not to mention noctua having one of the worse mounting systems I've ever seen for both fans and the cooler itself.

Off topic but, someone needs to come up with a better solution for mounting after market coolers. Every single one I've used thus far (hyper 212, noctua NH-U14s, Corsair H110) have been completely stupid and near impossible without 6 arms. That being said, the mounting system for the h110 has been the best, granted it's an expensive cooler.

Have considered this but it's pretty expensive to ship it to switzerland, I'm going to pay taxes which are fairly high and I don't really wan't my parts to break during the shipping.

That's what I figured, shipping is a pain as is taxes.