Noctua Display RotoSub Active Noise Cancellation CPU Cooler

Author: Ryan Martin (eTeknix)

Noctua teamed up with RotoSub quite some time ago and Noctua have been working with them ever since to bring RotoSub’s Active Noise Cancelletion (ANC) technology to Noctua’s products. At Computex 2013 Noctua unveiled something very special, the first working prototype of a RotoSub-inspired CPU cooler design.

noctua_anc_cooler.jpg

On the face of it uses a slightly adapted NH-D14 heatsink and adds an NF-A14 fan to the center. Yet the details are key because the NF-A14 fan has been heavily adapted with RotoSub ANC technology and features a wider 30mm fan frame for higher airflow. The whole design uses a custom designed metal shroud to enclose the CPU cooler.

noctua_ANC_cooler_1.png

noctua_ANC_cooler_2.png

Furthermore Noctua are claiming an impressive full ram compatibility up to 70mm in height, because there is no outside fan. Currently this design is only in prototype and you can see a more in depth video overview of the new prototype below.

Source: http://www.eteknix.com/computex-noctua-display-rotosub-active-noise-cancellation-cpu-cooler/

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

This has potential to be either extremely good - or like the Coolermaster V10 - super, ultra shitty. Though I have faith in Noctua.

Just hope they nickel plate the fins or something, the 'sheet metal' look is horrible.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Someone techie enough here to explain how this works?

A bit like noise canceling headphones. A microphone picks up the noise generated by the cooler, the noise signal is processed, and "anti noise" is made to cancel out the noise of the cooler.

The way they make the anti noise is that the fan blades have small pieces of metal in them, and in the frame around the fan blades, there's a ribbon of small magnets which makes the fan blades vibrate like a speaker.

Edit: In all my haste, I got it the wrong way around, the magnets are in the blades and the coil to vibrate them is in the ribbon

This is great for those guys who hate Noctua's fan color scheme. The custom-designed hood will cover the fan color. :)

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).

Someone techie enough here to explain how this works?

in laymans terms. a microphone picks up the "sound waves" that is being outputted, and gives the exact wave, but with reversed phase. that doesn't mean the sound isn't there, but it has been neutralized to the point that most people can't hear the original sound anymore :)

A bit like noise canceling headphones. A microphone picks up the noise generated by the cooler, the noise signal is processed, and "anti noise" is made to cancel out the noise of the cooler.

The way they make the anti noise is that the fan blades have small pieces of metal in them, and in the frame around the fan blades, there's a ribbon of small magnets which makes the fan blades vibrate like a speaker.

Edit: In all my haste, I got it the wrong way around, the magnets are in the blades and the coil to vibrate them is in the ribbon

soo would it be posible too on a normal Fan? for example NF-F12 at 12v

soo would it be posible too on a normal Fan? for example NF-F12 at 12v

I think Noctua plans to build it in to fans as well, but I think they recon a couple of years with R&D before the system is small enough to fit into a fan. Right now they use the extra space of a complete cooler system to house it all.

I think they're talking about double fan speed with same or lower noise levels as before

I think Noctua plans to build it in to fans as well, but I think they recon a couple of years with R&D before the system is small enough to fit into a fan. Right now they use the extra space of a complete cooler system to house it all.

I think they're talking about double fan speed with same or lower noise levels as before

k thx for the answer

Well, this is either the greatest or worst thing Noctua has come up with... No friggin idea which one though

Wit is educated insolence.

in laymans terms. a microphone picks up the "sound waves" that is being outputted, and gives the exact wave, but with reversed phase. that doesn't mean the sound isn't there, but it has been neutralized to the point that most people can't hear the original sound anymore :)

Yeah, I know how you can cancel out waves, but I didn't think they'd be able to acoustically cancel out a wave like that. I mean, doing all that stuff digitally on a microphone seems way easier to me because the computer can just combine the two waves so they cancel out each other.

I'm unsure about longitudinal waves (sound) but if you'd get the phase wrong by some degree you'd either diminish the cancelling effect or actually amplify it, right?

But I guess it's really impressive that they managed to do something like this in such a small form-factor etc. 

FYI: It will still contribute to case vibrations, so this doesn't mean that you can suddenly install a massive tower in a recording studio PC and get away with it :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I really like the glowing effect on their logo in the heatsink. Just imagine putting this in a dark case and all you see illuminated is this and the Geforce GTX logo from your graphics card and some corsair dominator platinum w/ blue light bars. Nerdgasm.

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

I can't believe how nobody has implemented this yet, although it probably will not be worth the price and I really don't like the looks :(.

This has potential to be either extremely good - or like the Coolermaster V10 - super, ultra shitty. Though I have faith in Noctua.

Just hope they nickel plate the fins or something, the 'sheet metal' look is horrible.

A quit 120mm 2000+ rpm fan is what I expect.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I can't believe how nobody has implemented this yet, although it probably will not be worth the price and I really don't like the looks :(.

But... but the logo. It glows.

tumblr_m4rrd0U3NS1r05tymo1_250.jpg

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

Now I'm waiting for the GPU version.

It looks like it will be good. Let us hope it actually will be oood and is the microphone to ensure the cooler is not too loud. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

This is some pretty advanced technology imo. The cooler look very beast and will be able to handle overclocks pretty good.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Let's hope there are no defective ones that instead of cancelling start resonating... *Shakes computer case to pieces*  :D

Let's hope there are no defective ones that instead of cancelling start resonating... *Shakes computer case to pieces*  :D

If there are defective ones, it's either the retailer or the carriers fault. :P

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!

tbh thats incredible. I would imagine that in the next 3-5 years this will be a proper thing with it not just being for CPU heatsink and fans. Amazing, cant wait for it

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly