HBO to start stand-alone streaming service in 2015

cabal1101

http://www.nytimes.c...for-growth.html(fixed)

Not much details to come along with the announcement, but still exciting to hear they're finally doing this. How many would actually use this I wonder now that they'll have the chance?

Edit:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2014/10/15/hbo-is-launching-a-stand-alone-streaming-service-in-2015/

Supposedly coming to US and "two other countries" before extending to everywhere else it is currently available.

Likely to be similar to HBO GO, but likely priced above the current bundle add-on price.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

eh. i get hbo for about a month twice a year and just use on demand to catch up with all the shows. I really dont think its worth paying for any premium channels year round now that you can catch up instantly. 

Thanks, using my phone so tried to edit the link. Failed.

> "It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO"

> US exclusive

God dammit, I just want next day access to the latest Game of Thrones episodes, why do you make me torrent HBO? I'd even give you my money :<

AMC letting Netflix air the 5th season of Breaking Bad made me get on my knees and praise the Lord Gaben.

They keep locking Europe out.

Alright then, i'll just keep torrenting their shows, too bad.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Uhm HBO Nordic has been available in like a year here in Scandinavia, all though it's not complete some series are incomplete but GOT episodes were afaik released just after it was shown in tv in US

Finally. I've only been waiting for this for four years...

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

at last!, will it be VoD's or can I also watch live?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

It's awesome that they are doing this, but...

Really? U.S. exclusive? Like come on, do you want to make money or keep having people pirate your show?

Updated OP with another article from Wash. Post.

Supposedly starting in the US and 2 other countries with plans to extend abroad.

Likely to be similar to HBO GO. 

heres how i see it, they estimated what like 10 million broadband only homes out there (whatever their area is). even if they only can attract 50% of them, so 5 million homes, and charge 10 bucks a month for the service. i mean its gotta be close to netflix price or people will be less likely to sign up. doing that math 5 million subscribers * 10 bucks per month = 50 million dollars per month * 12 months per year = 600 million dollars a year * 4 years = 2.4 billion dollars (check my math, could be wrong if so tell me) that they cannot recoup...if i was one of their investors i would be fuming over this lack of revenue! now its nice to see them make the move. who knows, maybe launching HBO GO was just part of the secret plan to actually transition to online video. but i am curious how much it is going to cost for the monthly service.

also folks, now will be the time to sharpen the pitch forks and prep the torches for when your ISP decides to throttle your connection so much that they downgrade your GoT video quality to 240p on your 1080p display.