Undoing an Unlock, HELP!

So recently I had my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) unlocked at a pretty sketchy place in the Carribean. It allowed me to use the sim card and connect to a network there, but when I returned home to North America and placed my original sim card back in the phone, it would not recognize any network. I was wondering why this would be the case, and what I should do to fix it. Is there some sort of process to undo the unlocking of the phone? Or is that not the problem in the first place? It seems to me that unlocking a phone should not prohibit use from any network, even those in another country, so I'm operating under the assumption that the unlocking was done poorly. 

tl;dr , I unlocked my phone in another country, now it won't recognize any network carrier, what do I do?!

For starters, don't unlock your phone at sketchy places.

Step 2. cry

For starters, don't unlock your phone at sketchy places.

Step 2. cry

I understand that it was stupid, but my back was against the wall, and in order to keep up with school and work overseas, I had no choice in the matter. 

what carrier are you on?

Bell

I understand that it was stupid, but my back was against the wall, and in order to keep up with school and work overseas, I had no choice in the matter. 

Bell

settings->wireless and networking(more)

your Access Point Names should be configured to something bell, mine says "LTE - Verizon Internet" as I am on Verizon Wireless

then Wireless and networking(more)->mobile networks->preffered network type. should be one involving LTE, CDMA, and I think HSPA+ for bell mobility

you sure its not just set to the local thing, because i had a neighbor come and ask me for similar help, he wasnt able to use his phone anymore and it didnt connect to the carrier here anymore after making it work in spain, but it was just a simple few clicks to make it connect to his normal one again. was andriod and i just pulled down the drop down menu and did something there.

probably what ^ just said

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Wow, it totally connects now. I can't believe the solution was that simple, thank you so much! But now for some reason the connection is only 1 bar (where previously it had been full), and messages won't send. Hmm one problem after another

Which solved your problem? I'm kinda curious. Good luck with your phone.

Your solution did! Thanks again! 

Your solution did! Thanks again! 

You're very welcome. anything else you need? keep a note of the settings you're on and if you want to fix your speed you can tinker around with those settings if at any point you mess anything up you can just change the settings back to what you took a note of.

if there are multiple APNs for bell, try them all if you like to see what gives you the best option.

also you could try enabling more network modes and if that changes anything keep them, if it doesn't improve anything then you should leave them off and stick to the network modes you have enabled now.

You're very welcome. anything else you need? keep a note of the settings you're on and if you want to fix your speed you can tinker around with those settings if at any point you mess anything up you can just change the settings back to what you took a note of.

if there are multiple APNs for bell, try them all if you like to see what gives you the best option.

also you could try enabling more network modes and if that changes anything keep them, if it doesn't improve anything then you should leave them off and stick to the network modes you have enabled now.

Alright I will keep all that in mind! Thanks so much for the help and friendly advice, I appreciate it dude! 

Alright I will keep all that in mind! Thanks so much for the help and friendly advice, I appreciate it dude! 

any time. PM me or quote me if you need any more help. I'm pretty good with android issues and very fluent with PC hardware and windows in general.