• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kilobytez95

Kilobytez95

That stoner you know

• 3,014 posts
  • LocationWindsor, Ontario

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

What if you could design and code your own OS from the ground up? What would you do? What would your interface look like? What would make your OS the best?

I had this awesome idea for an OS but I don't know how to code and even if I did I can assure you I would not know enough to code my own OS from the ground up.

Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad! Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad!

#2 Guest_GRRigger_*

Guest_GRRigger_*

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Linux with all features of windows :)

#3 david cassar

david cassar

\m/

• 973 posts
  • LocationMalta

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

It would have the best support for drivers. I would have some easy accesibilty like linux .

#4 arkon

arkon

Elite

• 961 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

Basically like Windows, but with a more robust backend like Linux.

• needmorewood likes this

#5 Pixxie_Payne

Pixxie_Payne

TGirl

• 3,006 posts
  • LocationBristol, England

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

was making 1 before my old hdd died on me...

you can make 1 using Linux.

had all the hardware working and stuff, got it doing all the programming strings, had some UI together aswell -.- about 2 years work -.- not even bothered to restart the project

#6 colonel_mortis

colonel_mortis

Unofficial Forum Improvement Developer

• 1,818 posts
  • Locationuser://[::1]/UK/ Nottingham

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Basically windows 7 but with windows 8 performance, and more customization options. Also the most common tools us geeks use a lot with troubleshooting etc. built it to the OS in some form. The included software would have to be open sourced so that it can be improved by the public though!

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage caused by the advice given in this post. While I have (probably) tried to make it as accurate and safe as possible, I cannot guarantee that it won't cause your computer to explode. Follow my advice at your own risk.

Intel 3570k OC 4.3GHz (1.3V) || EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked w/ACX cooler || Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CO CPU cooler || Cooler Master HAF X || Samsung 840 SSD (250GB) || WD caviar Blue (500GB storage drive) || Some cheap DVD drive || NZXT Sentry 2 Fan controller

Click here for the full list of user scripts, styles, browser addons and apps to compliment your forum experience, from notifying you of updates to fixing dark text in the dark theme, and more!

#7 leipero

leipero

Advanced Member

• 333 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

Linux with all features of windows :)

+1 on that one, or XP with all features (ehm DirectX 9 +) of newer Windows. :P

#8 needmorewood

needmorewood

Internet P.I.M.P.

• 3,973 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

+1 on that one, or XP with all features (ehm DirectX 9 +) of newer Windows. :P

now ur just stuck in the past -_- XP was great dont get me wrong but win7 is just so much better, and win 8 tweaked is better too

#9 swe3tdave

swe3tdave

Rookie

• 22 posts
  • LocationSte-Catherine-De-Hatley, Québec, Canada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

If i could program i would help with the development of The GNU Hurd and/or the associated Debian packages that haven't been ported yet. I dont see a reason to start a new OS when some people have spent 23 years working on making the best one.

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd

http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/

#10 leipero

leipero

Advanced Member

• 333 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

now ur just stuck in the past -_- XP was great dont get me wrong but win7 is just so much better, and win 8 tweaked is better too

Maybe I am ;). But truth is, nothing beats XP, XP is last OS made by Microsoft that was actually made to (and for) work.

While Win 8 have improved 2D performance, it is crippled even more for performance, no matter what reviews says. Win 7 is light years behind XP in any situation (considering features XP have, or better said not have compared to win 7 or 8).

Windows XP is "bad" for new hardware only because support is gone, but new PC's that have proper software for it, it's still light years ahead of any OS after.

What XP really lack: Trim support, DX10+ support, and maybe some other minor features. Interesting thing is, that is possible (and fairly easy) to implement those features in 12+ years old OS, but due to the profit sector, it is decided not to be.

With that said, Windows 7 could be a good OS, and it is in almost all segmments. But take any newish system that is supported by software for XP, and you will find out that even if you put SSD on Win 7, it can't mach XP on HDD ;).

#11 arkon

arkon

Elite

• 961 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Maybe I am ;). But truth is, nothing beats XP, XP is last OS made by Microsoft that was actually made to (and for) work.

While Win 8 have improved 2D performance, it is crippled even more for performance, no matter what reviews says. Win 7 is light years behind XP in any situation (considering features XP have, or better said not have compared to win 7 or 8).

Windows XP is "bad" for new hardware only because support is gone, but new PC's that have proper software for it, it's still light years ahead of any OS after.

What XP really lack: Trim support, DX10+ support, and maybe some other minor features. Interesting thing is, that is possible (and fairly easy) to implement those features in 12+ years old OS, but due to the profit sector, it is decided not to be.

With that said, Windows 7 could be a good OS, and it is in almost all segmments. But take any newish system that is supported by software for XP, and you will find out that even if you put SSD on Win 7, it can't mach XP on HDD ;).

Hrm, I think XP was the first one more targeted at consumers, actually...

And what features in XP make it light years ahead of Windows 7 (or another OS)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users