Need opintions on troubleshooting a computer not booting correctly

techenthused73

Hi,

This is a post for my mother's computer.

The computer sometimes will shut itself down when not in use.  Power settings are to never put the computer or monitor to sleep.  When trying to reboot by using the power button it takes several tries to start it up.  If it starts up then sometimes she can hear it booting into Windows (Windows 7 startup chime as it boots to desktop) but nothing shows on the screen. After a couple of tries the computer boots and she can see the desktop.  She has upgraded to new hardware/system  but kept the same power supply from a previous build.

My only guess is either a virus, problem with power supply, or video card or monitor.  I'll be going over to her condo this week to check it out.

Thoughts?

Old system was (1GB DDR ram, pentium DUO-CORE circa 2007, one hard drive)

New system (8GB ram 1600 mhz, i7 860, one hard drive, non powered creative extreme gamer,)

Both systems have a cheap non PCI cable powered video card.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

could it be the gpu? 

can you try using integrated graphics?

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

If possible, bring a GPU along with you, knock out, or confirm a problem right there.

That was my first thought.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Mine used to do this too. I don't think it's hardware related but just that Windows forces it into sleep mode even though power settings are set to never turn off. I never could figure out how to turn this off, but it only happened when left unattended for a few hours.

could it be the gpu? 

can you try using integrated graphics?

This is an old core i7 860.  The chip does not have integrated graphics but thanks.

CPU i7 4790 | Motherboard  ASUS Z97 Maximus Hero VII | RAM 16 GB Trident X @ 2400 Mhz | GPU Titan X | Case NZXT Phantom 530 | Storage Samsung EVO 840 1 TB SSD, 2 Seagate 150 GB HDD, 1 External 3 GB Seagate HDD | PSU Corsair HX 1050 | Cooling Zalman Copper 2 ball | Keyboard  Logitech G710+ | Mouse Logitech G502 | Sound: Creative Z | Operating System  Windows 10

If anyone here is still interested.  Today I got a new Thermaltake 600 PSU and a cheap GEForce g610 (she does not game) GPU.  When I was checking things out Windows 7 in the Action Center actually logged problems with power and video card.  Thank you Windows.

I'm sure if this does not solve it I'll be contacted.  Thanks for the replies.