$2000 Gaming Pc Build Help/Tips/Recommendations/Etc

LinkoftheAge

Hi there. I started following the linus youtube channel 2 months ago when I started doing research on building a new pc.

I could post this on tomshardware but I wanted to try the linus forums, hoping for more in depth answers.

My current setup is 5 years old, and its killing me. I'm building a gaming pc, and doing some light work station use. Currently just using a single 1080p monitor, but might upgrade to 1440p in the future. Also hoping to start streaming/making youtube videos. I live in BC Canada. I'm planning on getting my PC through NCIX because they will also build it and make sure everything works for $50. I'm open to any other site or pre-built PC that might offer better value though. The build I made was $2000 Canadian (without tax) with the sales, the sales shifted so now its closer to $2150, but I hope the sale stars will align again soon.

Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 OC DirectCU II - looked into Sapphir Tri-X R9 290X when there was only a $20 difference.

Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K - looked at the i5 4690k with the 290x setup, but felt the 4790k was better for work bench/future proofing.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - seems highly acclaimed for keeping temps low while overclocking. I don't like the word "water" being near the word cpu.

MOBO: ASUS Maximus VII Hero ATX - honestly, just because it fits the ASUS/ Red&black scheme. Thoughts?

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 16GB - 16GB for workload/future proof. Black for color scheme. As for the brand, I just threw darts at a dart board. How do I know if it will even fit with the CPU cooler?

PSU: - extra watts for future SLI or upgrades. Does the "silence" actually matter? Is it worth the 80+ gold?

SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB - wasn't sure about this one. Seemed like the best value, wasn't sure if a higher performance SSD would be noticeable?

OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - also not sure about this. I love Windows 7, hate macs. I don't think Direct x12 will be available on 7 though. :/

Case: NZXT H440 ATX Mid Tower Red & Black - seems like a cool case, no reports that heat is an issue with it. Red and black fits the scheme. Also looked at Fractal R4 and Cooler Master N600.

For storage I'll just be moving the 4TB HDD I have in my current PC.

So anyway that it. Thanks for reading. Any thoughts, comments, or tips would be highly appreciated. Looking to order the PC any day now, just hoping for the sales to come back.

It all looks good now,

Power Supply: for the power supply yes 80+Gold is good enough and worth the money.

HDD: Just be aware that 4TB hdd's have a big failure rate so just keep that in mind.

SSD's are also really expensive I would rather get 2 Adata 250 GB's SSD's if you really need the extra space, but I think that one 250GB's SSD would be fine for OS (8.1 All the way ) and a few games with some large applications.

I also have one question why not go for the insane future proof X99 platform? It will not benefit you in games as much but it will last 2-4 years from now.

I suggest looking at lga 2011-3 cpu(5820k). Its much faster for video editing due to the 6 cores, but ddr4 does cost more. I suggest windows 7 and support will go do 2020 or longer so that os will outlast your build. I don't reccomend going for such a highend mobo. PSU wise a corsair cx 430 is more that enought for single cpu single gpu.

I suggest looking at lga 2011-3 cpu(5820k). Its much faster for video editing due to the 6 cores, but ddr4 does cost more. I suggest windows 7 and support will go do 2020 or longer so that os will outlast your build. I don't reccomend going for such a highend mobo. PSU wise a corsair cx 430 is more that enought for single cpu single gpu.

If you are suggesting an upgrade to lga 2011-3 why  would you recommend downgrading the psu so drastically?

The cpu's are pretty power demanding and he said that he might upgrade to sli in the future. That is poor advice.

@LinkoftheAge Your psu is fine (the silence option is up to you depending on whether or not you want to hear it running constantly or not), and I also would recommend going windows 7. You will have less compatability issues. If you're not going to be doing anything heavy workstation or computational wise lga 1150 is fine, no reason to spend extra money for cores that will sparsely get used.

Thanks for the posts. I found out the Vengeance won't fit so I switched to Vengeance Pro which is basically the same price. Also the same PSU but 860 is on sale for only $10 more so I got that. And I switched the SSD for the Samsung EVO.
The X99 boards seem to be at least $100 more + the DDR4 is like $180 more and the cpu is $60 more. So it's just not affordable unless I wait until the New Year. My current rig is 5yrs old so Im pretty desperate to get it now.