Patriot Viper 3 2133MHz causing BSOD

Go to solution Solved by Scoopta,

Well if it helps any my board is a Gigabyte G1.Sniper A88X and I'd imagine Gigabyte's UEFIs are almost identical with slight differences between the Intel and AMD boards although I could be wrong. I'll check it out and see if I can find the voltage you're referring to.

I opened a support ticket with patriot and they fixed the issue relatively quickly. All I had to do was enable X.M.P and then increase my DRAM voltage to 1.65-1.75v and my tRFC to 300ns. After that my system now runs stable. I figured I'd leave an answer for the community since two communities couldn't solve it.

I originally made a post on toms hardware and while I originally thought the problem had been fixed I simply reduced the amount of blue screens that were occurring. I figured I'd come over here and see if I could get any other suggestions for getting my memory to run at 2133 without a blue screen. Running it at 1600 works perfectly fine but I purchased 2133 memory so I could run it at 2133. The original thread is below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2237087/patriot-viper-2133mhz-causing-bsod.html

Could be your memory controller on the CPU. What CPU and what error message?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

The rated speed of your memory is an overclock it "should" be capable of reaching, if changing it to it's rated speed causes instability it needs to be RMA'D

I'd suggest RMA'ing the RAM.

Otherwise go with a lower speed?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Could be your memory controller on the CPU. What CPU and what error message?

A10-6800K and I get a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area as the error on the BSOD

Not sure how memory settings work on AMD boards, but you probably have to increase the VVT/VCCIO (memory controller voltage) to get it stable. 

Well if it helps any my board is a Gigabyte G1.Sniper A88X and I'd imagine Gigabyte's UEFIs are almost identical with slight differences between the Intel and AMD boards although I could be wrong. I'll check it out and see if I can find the voltage you're referring to.

• 3 weeks later...

I opened a support ticket with patriot and they fixed the issue relatively quickly. All I had to do was enable X.M.P and then increase my DRAM voltage to 1.65-1.75v and my tRFC to 300ns. After that my system now runs stable. I figured I'd leave an answer for the community since two communities couldn't solve it.