Control fan speed w/ 3 pin connector?

Norman_the_Owl
Go to solution Solved by scaryjam823,

I control the speed of all 7 of my fans with my fan controller, all using 3pin connectors. The other two fans I have are with my water cooler and controlled via the motherboard.

Is it even possible to control the speed of a fan with a fan controller when that fan only has 3 pins?

In a Tek syndicate video from CES the corsair rep stated that the new Commander Mini will be able to control 3 pin fans.

My question is, is that even  possible? I'm no expert when it comes to fans

Edit: It was in this video

Editedit: Around 40 seconds in or so

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

If its a voltage-based fan controller, then yes. (5v vs 7v vs 12v)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I control the speed of all 7 of my fans with my fan controller, all using 3pin connectors. The other two fans I have are with my water cooler and controlled via the motherboard.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

If I'm not wrong, Asus motherboards can have voltage controlled fans on the 3-pin headers.

3-pin fans are voltage controlled

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Thanks guys for the quick responses!

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

*sight* I think Linus needs to make 3pin vs PWM fans and how to control them TechQuickie. There's just too much misunderstandings and misinformation floating around.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

*sight* I think Linus needs to make 3pin vs PWM fans and how to control them TechQuickie. There's just too much misunderstandings and misinformation floating around.

Yea, i thought they only had one speed: Full