SATA 2 vs SATA 3?

Bradley

How much of a difference would it make getting a SATA 3 SSD from a SATA 2 SSD?

GeT_ReKt

improved reads, which is the only thing your going to notice most of the time.

SATA3_vs_SATA2.png

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

1dCD9.png

Look at the red line (sata 2)

Then look at the orange line (sata 3)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

improved reads, which is the only thing your going to notice most of the time.

That's not an accurate test, because you're using two different sata controllers.

Also that SSD benchmarked is old, when they still had really slow write speeds. Now newer SSDs can get over 500MB/s writes, which will be bottlenecked by sata 2 but not by sata 3

You can see this from the  benchmarks above ^^^

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That's not an accurate test, because you're using two different sata controllers.

Also that SSD benchmarked is old, when they still had really slow write speeds. Now newer SSDs can get over 500MB/s writes, which will be bottlenecked by sata 2 but not by sata 3

You can see this from the  benchmarks above ^^^

I just grabbed the first google image i could find :P.  Also to mention, with SATA 6GB/s you can get ~580mbps speeds.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

@Bradley

It will be better. Not because of the SATA interface speed, but because of the speed of the NAND in the SSD itself. Newer SSDs that use SATA 3 6Gbps use more advanced NAND flash that's faster and more reliable then SSDs that came out back in the SATA 2 days

"Rawr XD"