My headphones give me a headache

Go to solution Solved by xNeon,

So should I just listen to a youtube video of pink noise? For how long? How audible should it be? Thanks again for all the help

Download a .wav file and play it on your computer. Just find the level that's the most relaxing. It kinda sounds like a river or rain. I'll link you to where I to download. If it doesn't work ill make you a loop.

https://soundcloud.com/neon/pink-noise/s-oiWar

Made this for you! Just put it on a loop and it might help the headache :)

Hey guys,

So I have a bit of an interesting problem with my Ath-m50s. I can't listen to music for more than an hour without getting a pretty bad headache. I'm not sure if it's them clamping down on my head, the bass, the headband, or whatever. I just can't wear them for a longer amount of time without feeling kinda sick. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you guys know any fixes? Any help is appreciated.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I have M50X and the headband clamp was insane when I first put them on, I stretched it a bit and now it's much better.

Do your ears feel hot and sweaty? Do you perhaps listen at a higher volume than is comfortable?

Try turning down the volume a little bit?

If they are clamping down really tight then that could be it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It's probably the clamping force, really the only thing you can do it is break them in. 

Clamping force is what causes headaches. Try stretching them, or put them around some sort of ball for a couple days until they soften up.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I have M50X and the headband clamp was insane when I first put them on, I stretched it a bit and now it's much better.

Do your ears feel hot and sweaty? Do you perhaps listen at a higher volume than is comfortable?

I've had 'em since Christmas. They do get kinda sweaty. I'd say I listen to music at a comfortable level.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

Clamping force is what causes headaches. Try stretching them, or put them around some sort of ball for a couple days until they soften up.

I have had them for almost a year. Is that enough time for them to stretch out? I would think it is

I've got the exact same problem with ALL headphones I wear. I'm using DT 990 pro's atm and I can't use them for long because I get headaches aswell.

sibilance usually causes headaches, bass will rarely give you a headache unless it's at chest throbbing volume.

Error: 410

The problem may be that he's (potentially) listening to Country music.

That shit gives me migranes.

I have had them for almost a year. Is that enough time for them to stretch out? I would think it is

well you might have to stretch them larger than your head...

use a basketball or soccer ball or something, and inflate it to a bit larger than the size of your head.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ok I'm going to have to enquire, why do you suspect this?

Try turning down the volume a little bit?

If they are clamping down really tight then that could be it.

I listen to music on my phone and laptop at around 1/2 - 3/4 volume. Is that too high? My friends at school sometimes tell me that my music is too loud. I always thought it was the headphones leaking.

Hey guys,

So I have a bit of an interesting problem with my Ath-m50s. I can't listen to music for more than an hour without getting a pretty bad headache. I'm not sure if it's them clamping down on my head, the bass, the headband, or whatever. I just can't wear them for a longer amount of time without feeling kinda sick. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you guys know any fixes? Any help is appreciated.

Are you listening to low quality mp3s? this can cause fatigue faster than anything else. When audio is compressed, information that your brain can replace is what is taken out first, like everything over 16kHz. Your brain is working pretty hard when you listen to mp3s.

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.60GHz 1.264v | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16.0GB (2x8GB) | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77 WS | Graphics - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | Storage -  120 GB Samsung 840 EVO | PSU - Corsair RM650 | Case - Corsair 550D

Country is not my style. Too many songs about trucks and cheating women. I listen to a lot of alternative rock, classic rock, indie, blues and occasionally some electronic music.

Are you listening to low quality mp3s? this can cause fatigue faster than anything else. When audio is compressed, information that your brain can replace is what is taken out first, like everything over 16kHz. Your brain is working pretty hard when you listen to mp3s.

I get all my music off either itunes or bandcamp. I do have some that are just youtube videos converted to mp3. Never really noticed if those make my head hurt more than the other songs I have

I listen to music on my phone and laptop at around 1/2 - 3/4 volume. Is that too high? My friends at school sometimes tell me that my music is too loud. I always thought it was the headphones leaking.

If other people in the room can hear your headphones, regardless of closed back or open back, yet it is too loud. The reason this causes headaches is because there is a muscle in your ear that tightens your ear drum when you are subjected to really loud (over about 80dB SPL). WHen this muscle is tight for longer than say an hour yes it's gonna give you a headache!

CPU - Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.60GHz 1.264v | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16.0GB (2x8GB) | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77 WS | Graphics - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | Storage -  120 GB Samsung 840 EVO | PSU - Corsair RM650 | Case - Corsair 550D

well you might have to stretch them larger than your head...

use a basketball or soccer ball or something, and inflate it to a bit larger than the size of your head.

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the advice.

I get all my music off either itunes or bandcamp. I do have some that are just youtube videos converted to mp3. Never really noticed if those make my head hurt more than the other songs I have

It's a total possibility but my other post is probably the more likely reason

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the advice.

yup np :)

Spoiler

If other people in the room can hear your headphones, regardless of closed back or open back, yet it is too loud. The reason this causes headaches is because there is a muscle in your ear that tightens your ear drum when you are subjected to really loud (over about 80dB SPL). WHen this muscle is tight for longer than say an hour yes it's gonna give you a headache!

So it's too loud then? I feel like it is normal-ish listening volume because anything lower is usually inaudible/I can't hear parts of the song. IDK if that just me or not. Usually the person telling me they can hear it is right next to me (ie. sitting at the same desk) I don't know if that changes anything. Anyways, thanks for the advice. I'll try to play my music a bit quieter.

Ok I'm going to have to enquire, why do you suspect this?

I don't, it's just a fact. I hope he doesn't! :o

Also, inquire*

It's a total possibility but my other post is probably the more likely reason

Alright. Well thanks a lot for the help :)

I've got the exact same problem with ALL headphones I wear. I'm using DT 990 pro's atm and I can't use them for long because I get headaches aswell.

Well if you find a solution be sure to tell me! :)