Facebook will now pay you money to find bugs in the Oculus Rift

Dietrichw

Source

oculus-rift-dk2-640x353.jpg

Here's a new way to support your expensive VR habit: hunt for flaws in the code for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset, software development kit (SDK), and website.

Facebook just announced it is incorporating Oculus, which it acquired in March for $2 billion, into its infamous bug bounty program.

Under the program, individual security researchers who report bugs to Facebook may be financially rewarded. The minimum reward is $500, and there is no cap on the maximum. Facebook paid out $1.5 million in bug bounties last year.

Right now, most of the bugs are in the messaging system for Oculus developers and parts of the website, which makes them not much different from bugs found in the social network, says Facebook security engineer Neal Poole.

Hmm, interesting. I like the idea of giving people a kickback for betatesting and bughunting. I just hope they don't push all the responsibility for proper testing on those people.

If only I knew how to code . . . .

you don't HAVE to code to find bugs. If they had something similar to CatLog for this, it would be quite easy to find.