GPU bottlenecked by PSU

ichihgo

I have R9 280x Vapor-x tri-x it requires a 750W PSU and I'm running it on XFX 650W PRO series 80+ Bronze

Sometimes the GPU run at 99% ( most of the time ) but also there are times where the GPU use only 50 or 60 % and I get frame drop is that from the PSU !?

Specs i5 4440

8 GB 1.5V 1600MHZ ram 

GA-H97-D3G

I have R9 280x Vapor-x tri-x it requires a 750W PSU and I'm running it on XFX 650W PRO series 80+ Bronze

Sometimes the GPU run at 99% ( most of the time ) but also there are times where the GPU use only 50 or 60 % and I get frame drop is that from the PSU !?

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips!

650W is more then enough for a 280X in a stock-clocked system. What are your other specs?

"Rawr XD"

A 650W is more than enough to power a R9 280X unless you have 2 R9 280X? You should also check its VRM temps to see if it is overheating and causing it to throttle using HWInfo. Does this happen for every game?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

A 650W is more than enough to power a R9 280X unless you have 2 R9 280X? You should also check its VRM temps to see if it is overheating and causing it to throttle using HWInfo. Does this happen for every game?

Welcome to Linus Tech Tips!

650W is more then enough for a 280X in a stock-clocked system. What are your other specs?

No, what CPU do you have?

But Sapphire website says it need 750W minimum and it has 2 8-pin power connectors and what might be causing this frame drop 

But Sapphire website says it need 750W minimum and it has 2 8-pin power connectors 

Are you using 2 8 pin connectors? Sapphire recommends 750W minimum to compensate for the poorly made power supplies so if one is to get a generic 750w power supply it will be enough to run it. The XFX power supply that you chose is more than enough to power this system.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Are you using 2 8 pin connectors? Sapphire recommends 750W minimum to compensate for the poorly made power supplies so if one is to get a generic 750w power supply it will be enough to run it. The XFX power supply that you chose is more than enough to power this system.

yes I'm using 2 8-pin power connectors 

yes I'm using 2 8-pin power connectors 

Then you're fine.  It isnt the PSU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Then you're fine.  It isnt the PSU.

6+2 pin connectors consider as 8-pin right !? 

Yes

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Tell us in what scenario are you experiencing the frame drops?

Tell us in what scenario are you experiencing the frame drops?

in tomb raider when I go to a place with large scale of view most of the time i get frame drop to 30s and 40s ( AVG FPS is 70s without frame drop )

and in sniper elite III the same but I didn't noticed when or where the frame drop happens

something BTW Sometimes my mouse just freeze for a second while browsing or doing normal stuff on desktop 

in tomb raider when I go to a place with large scale of view most of the time i get frame drop to 30s and 40s ( AVG FPS is 70s without frame drop )

and in sniper elite III the same but I didn't noticed when or where the frame drop happens

something BTW Sometimes my mouse just freeze for a second while browsing or doing normal stuff on desktop 

Try updating drivers for your GPU?