i7 920 vs g3258

So I've been running this i7 920 since it came out and and I think it's dying.

It's currently 20C in my room. Running nothing but Steam and Chrome, and my i7 is running 55, playing games it will often go up to 78 although it will hover around 70. I can't even think of running prime95 without my i7 crying.
I have an antec kuhler h2o 920 as my current cooling method that has a good supply of cool air and I have reseated my cpu cooler a couple times over the past few months to see if I applied the thermal compound wrong (arctic silver 5).

I get these temps enough though I have hyper-threading off, the cpu underclocked and undervolted.

So my question is should I drop 220 on the g3258 and a nice z97 (so I can upgrade in a year or two when I have the cash for another i7)
I would think that the kuhler h2o would be able to get a pretty decent overclock on the g3258 and from what I've seen from a linus tech video it performs close to the latest i7 (in games).

I don't really do anything other than internet and video game on this rig, so I'm not sure if I would be missing out on much in terms of all the features that are cut on this cpu.

So what would be my best course of action? 

Thanks!

Rest of rig
6gb ddr3
750w thermatake 80bronze

7970 double d

asus p6x58d

I would go ahead and do it. The G3258 is a beast.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So what would be my best course of action? 

See if you can find another 920 or something on eBay. I also have a 920 and the only way I would ever go to a G3258 is if I got a free Z97 motherboard with it. If I had to pay for both the chip and a new motherboard for a downgrade, no way.

"Rawr XD"

if you do any sort of multitasking, it's not worth it. If you have the cash, put it into a haswell refresh i7 and a fancy new board to go with it

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

I've seen that, but seeing as I'm running my i7 underclocked, undervolted, and without hyper threading, I'm not getting nearly the performance I once was, and I'm still almost hitting 80c when this thing is rated for 71

have you made sure there isn't dust in the radiator? I just decided to clean my heatsink for the first time since I got it and my temps dropped 15c

wow, thats a lot of bees!

How old is the water cooler? It could be that the pump is failing, or the liquid level is low. If you can get your hands on even the stock intel cooler, try that and see what happens. It should be able to handle the chip at stock settings, and would tell you if something is wrong with your processor, or if it's just the cooling that is failing.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

have you made sure there isn't dust in the radiator? I just decided to clean my heatsink for the first time since I got it and my temps dropped 15c

Yup, completely clear. This cpu is pushing 6 years old now so I'm not really sure whats going on with it.

if you do any sort of multitasking, it's not worth it. If you have the cash, put it into a haswell refresh i7 and a fancy new board to go with it

I do multitasking, but if I'm not mistaken I think the g3258 could handle HD youtube, Microsoft Word, and Chrome at the same time (seeing as my old core 2 duo laptop can do it just fine)

How old is the water cooler? It could be that the pump is failing, or the liquid level is low. If you can get your hands on even the stock intel cooler, try that and see what happens. It should be able to handle the chip at stock settings, and would tell you if something is wrong with your processor, or if it's just the cooling that is failing.

The cooler is only probably a year old, maybe a little more, both fans on it are running optimally, and as far as I can tell the pump is running the same, the pump speed hasn't changed at all and there are no weird sounds (like what happened with my last one that burst a few days after I took it out of my rig).

EDIT: I have my old stock cooler lying around here, its grossly covered in dust but I should be able to give it a good cleaning and try it it my rig to see if it my cooler, however it seems to be running fine

Yup, completely clear. This cpu is pushing 6 years old now so I'm not really sure whats going on with it.

Sounds like your thermal paste is bad.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I do multitasking, but if I'm not mistaken I think the g3258 could handle HD youtube, Microsoft Word, and Chrome at the same time (seeing as my old core 2 duo laptop can do it just fine)

It'd be fine for that, but if you're playing a game, running teamspeak, possibly listening to pandora/spotify through chrome, then the threads needed and the power of them will start to add up. If you're the type of person that streams, then you'll probably have even more CPU intensive apps open. The G3258 could be fine for you, but the real question is this: Do i need stronger, newer cores, or do i need more threads? It all comes down to your use case

So I've been running this i7 920 since it came out and and I think it's dying.

It's currently 20C in my room. Running nothing but Steam and Chrome, and my i7 is running 55, playing games it will often go up to 78 although it will hover around 70. I can't even think of running prime95 without my i7 crying.

I have an antec kuhler h2o 920 as my current cooling method that has a good supply of cool air and I have reseated my cpu cooler a couple times over the past few months to see if I applied the thermal compound wrong (arctic silver 5).

I get these temps enough though I have hyper-threading off, the cpu underclocked and undervolted.

So my question is should I drop 220 on the g3258 and a nice z97 (so I can upgrade in a year or two when I have the cash for another i7)

I would think that the kuhler h2o would be able to get a pretty decent overclock on the g3258 and from what I've seen from a linus tech video it performs close to the latest i7 (in games).

You sure the antec antec h2o is just not failing? I worked on someones PC that had a old corsair watercooler and that thing performed much worse than it was supposed to so i suspected that it was failing. 

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Sounds like your thermal paste is bad.

As I stated in the original post I've applied new paste several times over the past few months thinking I might have added too much or too little but nothing changed.

It'd be fine for that, but if you're playing a game, running teamspeak, possibly listening to pandora/spotify through chrome, then the threads needed and the power of them will start to add up. If you're the type of person that streams, then you'll probably have even more CPU intensive apps open. The G3258 could be fine for you, but the real question is this: Do i need stronger, newer cores, or do i need more threads? It all comes down to your use case

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't stream games, I don't edit photos or videos. I'm either watching youtube and working on school or playing games. The is the only reason I'm even considering the g3258.

As I stated in the original post I've applied new paste several times over the past few months thinking I might have added too much or too little but nothing changed.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't stream games, I don't edit photos or videos. I'm either watching youtube and working on school or playing games. The is the only reason I'm even considering the g3258.

Then it sounds like a solid buy IF you can get a good motherboard for cheap. If you can't, then hold off and figure out cooling. Perhaps move your computer setup (assuming that's a viable option)

Then it sounds like a solid buy IF you can get a good motherboard for cheap. If you can't, then hold off and figure out cooling. Perhaps move your computer setup (assuming that's a viable option)

I have an NZXT Phantom 630 which is on a shelf, minimal dust with good access to cool air. I've ordered some more thermal compound and I'm about to give me old stock heat sink a good cleaning. Hopefully it's a cooler issue and I can just get a new one of those but I've not. What would you guys think is a good price to performance cpu right now? 

Well then either the pump on your cooler died or it's not properly mounted, it sounds like the pump to me.

Well then either the pump on your cooler died or it's not properly mounted, it sounds like the pump to me.

The software that works with my cooler says the pump is running at about 3000-3200rpm (it changes) which is what its always said. And I've haven't had a problem mounting it before, goes on nice and snug 

I have an NZXT Phantom 630 which is on a shelf, minimal dust with good access to cool air. I've ordered some more thermal compound and I'm about to give me old stock heat sink a good cleaning. Hopefully it's a cooler issue and I can just get a new one of those but I've not. What would you guys think is a good price to performance cpu right now? 

The pentium isn't bad, but the i3, while locked, is also pretty good. That being said, i'd recommend that if it's in budget, you get an i5 just to have the security in future games of 4 strong PHYSICAL cores. you'll also take better advantage of your GPU with the i5 over the i3 and pentium

The software that works with my cooler says the pump is running at about 3000-3200rpm (it changes) which is what its always said. And I've haven't had a problem mounting it before, goes on nice and snug 

Interesting, perhaps a piece of plastic or something broke off the pump fins and is blocking water from properly circulating, I'd RMA it before you buy a new processor and motherboard.

that pentium G over your current i7 is totaly not worth it.

offcourse the pentium G has has 2 faster cores, but in productivity your 920 will blow it out of the water.

Depends on what you want, and what the mounting space in your case is like, and how much you wanna spend. For an all in one, either the x41 or the x61 are both really solid coolers for their respective prices, and have a 6 year warranty to back them up. The swiftech h220x is also really neat if you can find it in stock somewhere.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

I think I'd get an i3 instead of le pentium...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I think I'd get an i3 instead of le pentium...

Still a downgrade

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8