playing BF4, WTF is bottlenecking!?!

The_Evenger

If you see no difference with mantle/DX11 then it isn't a CPU bottleneck. Maybe a driver problem? Does any other game have this problem? Everyone finds it so easy to bash the FX Cpus. 

Maybe it's the internet drivers.. Have you updated all the drivers..?

CPU Intel Core i7-4790KCPU Cooler Corsair H100iMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM & Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM 
GPU MSI GTX 670 2GBCase NZXT H440 (Black/Red)Power Supply Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-ModularOperating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)Keyboard Logitech K270 WirelessMouse Logitech G602 Wireless Optical Mouse 
 Headset SteelSeries Siberia Headset & USB Sound cardSpeakers Creative Labs Inspire T6160 50W 5.1ch SpeakersUPS APC BackUPS Pro 1000Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5

We are happy to help.. But clicking on "Mark Solved" makes us all happier :)

Vrbas, on 15 Aug 2014 - 9:23 PM, said:

If you see no difference with mantle/DX11 then it isn't a CPU bottleneck. Maybe a driver problem? Does any other game have this problem? Everyone finds it so easy to bash the FX Cpus. 

no, this is literally the only game that has this issue, all other games look like the first graph, 95-100%

Maybe it's the internet drivers.. Have you updated all the drivers..?

yes all my drivers are up to date, I have tried beta drivers, old drivers, and even updating my BIOS, nothing made a difference

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Maybe something is broken in the game.. Is yours a digital download or is it a DVD..?? If its a digital download, I'm pretty sure it would have saved the install files somewhere..

CPU Intel Core i7-4790KCPU Cooler Corsair H100iMotherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM & Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM 
GPU MSI GTX 670 2GBCase NZXT H440 (Black/Red)Power Supply Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-ModularOperating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit)Keyboard Logitech K270 WirelessMouse Logitech G602 Wireless Optical Mouse 
 Headset SteelSeries Siberia Headset & USB Sound cardSpeakers Creative Labs Inspire T6160 50W 5.1ch SpeakersUPS APC BackUPS Pro 1000Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5

If it's just that game then something is wrong with the game. Check for updates/repair the game, Defrag your drives, also move the Battlefield 4 folder in your My Documents folder to your desktop and start battlefield. Your settings will be reset but see if that helps. If that doesn't help completely uninstall it and re-download. 

IllUMINATUz, on 15 Aug 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

Maybe something is broken in the game.. Is yours a digital download or is it a DVD..?? If its a digital download, I'm pretty sure it would have saved the install files somewhere..

If it's just that game then something is wrong with the game. Check for updates/repair the game, Defrag your drives, also move the Battlefield 4 folder in your My Documents folder to your desktop and start battlefield. Your settings will be reset but see if that helps. If that doesn't help completely uninstall it and re-download. 

I have the DVD because I digital download will literally take days of non-stop downloading, I downloaded the CTE client to test if the problem persists, and yes it does, so I can tell you it's not the game, at least I think...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Okay.

Since when are you observing this problem..???

Okay.
Since when are you observing this problem..???

when I upgraded from my duel 6950s to the 290, I don't think the card is the issue considering it happily pulls 300+ frames in space engineers and other games like it

...I would believe it's the GPU if it was sitting at 100% usage all the time, but it constantly dips down and on certain maps it can spend most of it's time below 50% usage

Possibly a driver issue? Have you tried an older/newer one? With V-Sync off your GPU should never "spend most of its time below 50%" as it will just use the head room to push out more frames unless something else is bottlenecking it but going off your specs nothing 'should' be bottlenecking it.

Do you have a frame graph? (If that's the frame time graphs shown in-game do I add the CPU and GPU time or is the CPU/yellow time taking into account the GPU time - sorry not familiar with that graph :)) Dips below 60fps shouldn't be too concerning on Ultra but going below 30fps unless its just very briefly (some background something kicking in) would be.

Lemme pop in and say I have the same problem. I have a 3570K and a GTX 760 and 8GB of RAM, my internet is 120mbs and in TDM I get about 100 FPS on ultra with no AA. But in conquest I will go from a consistent 80ish fps sometimes down to 20 for no apparent reason and the FPS will stay at that until I restart the game. My GPU is running at 68C and while I don't have a temp for my CPU it is ALWAYS boosting a couple hundred MHz The only game this happens in is BF4, so I know it has to do with the game. But otherwise I have no idea.

Lemme pop in and say I have the same problem. I have a 3570K and a GTX 760 and 8GB of RAM, my internet is 120mbs and in TDM I get about 100 FPS on ultra with no AA. But in conquest I will go from a consistent 80ish fps sometimes down to 20 for no apparent reason and the FPS will stay at that until I restart the game. My GPU is running at 68C and while I don't have a temp for my CPU it is ALWAYS boosting a couple hundred MHz The only game this happens in is BF4, so I know it has to do with the game. But otherwise I have no idea.

when I upgraded from my duel 6950s to the 290, I don't think the card is the issue considering it happily pulls 300+ frames in space engineers and other games like it

Okay.. Did you too Minimoose upgrade your GPU??

If yes, try to boot into safe mode, use driver sweeper from guru3d  and clear off all display drivers.. then install fresh drivers.. But, since 6950 and 290 are from AMD, there basically should not be any driver issue.. anyways.. just try to do this and report.. Hope this might help people with similar problem..

Grrizz, on 16 Aug 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:Grrizz, on 16 Aug 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Possibly a driver issue? Have you tried an older/newer one? With V-Sync off your GPU should never "spend most of its time below 50%" as it will just use the head room to push out more frames unless something else is bottlenecking it but going off your specs nothing 'should' be bottlenecking it.

Do you have a frame graph? (If that's the frame time graphs shown in-game do I add the CPU and GPU time or is the CPU/yellow time taking into account the GPU time - sorry not familiar with that graph :)) Dips below 60fps shouldn't be too concerning on Ultra but going below 30fps unless its just very briefly (some background something kicking in) would be.

no I did a complete driver wipe, all of them. all drivers are brand new.

As for a FPS graph, Riva Tuner Statistics Server has the same issue in BF4 as it did in BF3, it makes the game boot, looks like it's working, but won't accept any input, you can try to click on something, but it'll just sit their, not responding. so I have to turn that off in BF4/3 in order to get it to get it to run. (I believe it's a punkbuster thing, because on singleplayer and test range it has no issues, only on multiplayer, and it's usually a miracle that punkbuster works at all, I don't want to fuck with it :\  )

my friend with a GTX 760 and a FX8320 hand an issue a while back when I was still running the duel 6950s where after a patch the game basically was running bad, low FPS, he didn't investigate or anything he just chopped it up to the patch, and about a month later, their was a patch and the problem wasn't a problem anymore.

again he didn't investigate it so I don't have any info about it...

Okay.. Did you too Minimoose upgrade your GPU??

If yes, try to boot into safe mode, use driver sweeper from guru3d  and clear off all display drivers.. then install fresh drivers.. But, since 6950 and 290 are from AMD, there basically should not be any driver issue.. anyways.. just try to do this and report.. Hope this might help people with similar problem..

Nope... I've had the same GPU since BF4 launch.  I'm not really looking for help TBH, just letting people know I also have the Issue.  Thanks for the suggestions though!

no I did a complete driver wipe, all of them. all drivers are brand new.

As for a FPS graph, Riva Tuner Statistics Server has the same issue in BF4 as it did in BF3, it makes the game boot, looks like it's working, but won't accept any input, you can try to click on something, but it'll just sit their, not responding. so I have to turn that off in BF4/3 in order to get it to get it to run. (I believe it's a punkbuster thing, because on singleplayer and test range it has no issues, only on multiplayer, and it's usually a miracle that punkbuster works at all, I don't want to fuck with it :\  )

If you haven't already I would try an older driver sometimes that helps, other then that I'm not sure what it could be sorry :(

IDK if the fps counter problem is just an AMD thing (I'm using Nvidia) but one of the RivaTuner updates a couple of months back allowed the fps counter to work for me, prior to that it didn't cause the same issues you have on my system it just wouldn't read the frame rate at all, I always thought it was a DX11 compatibility issue. Might be worth trying it again if you haven't in the last couple of months :)

Grrizz, on 16 Aug 2014 - 8:34 PM, said:

If you haven't already I would try an older driver sometimes that helps, other then that I'm not sure what it could be sorry :(

IDK if the fps counter problem is just an AMD thing (I'm using Nvidia) but one of the RivaTuner updates a couple of months back allowed the fps counter to work for me, prior to that it didn't cause the same issues you have on my system it just wouldn't read the frame rate at all, I always thought it was a DX11 compatibility issue. Might be worth trying it again if you haven't in the last couple of months :)

the update your are probably referring to is support for 64bit applications, and I have tried going back as far as drivers would allow, and have tried the new 14.7 beta, no help.

also I remember RTSS not having issues with PB, just one day, suddenly it just decided not to work anymore, and it never has since...

I had a similar issue with BF4 , have you tried running the game as admin or a high priority on the task manager ? , but i have Sli which caused problems aswell , i had to create my own profile for BF4 lol , but as far as 8350 goes mine only gets to about 60% while playing a 64p server so yours seems a little high especially since your 8350 is OC'd aswell , and are your CPU cores unparked ??

ill ask a friend of mine about his setup , he has one very similar to yours, i think he had the same problem but he sorted it , ill let you know in a day or 2 if he says anything

Hope i helped :D

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Youd id not post cpu usage:

''

Verify if you have a cpu bottleneck.

Here's a copy of one of ym previous posts:

Open Windows Task Manager.  (search it in start menu OR press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and open it from security screen)

Now that your the matrix god of the digital univers ein your PC (not quite)

Go to performance Tab. And look at the graph if one of your cpu cores hit 100% while playing BF4, thats a wall bottlenck (caus eI happen to call it that way B) )

If all cores hit 100%, its a full bottleneck. (then you can tell us and yourself if there's a cpu bottleneck) ( its actually more complicated then that but its ok)

Go to processes tab.

There you will find BF4.exe along with all the other crap running ony our computer.

See how much % of your cpu BF4 uses. If its 70% and your cpu is at 90% this means everything else in your computer uses 20%. so if you want more fps because your a ''tearing no-sync madman'' You can clean some of the other stuff running on your computer, like the microsoft spyware along with other crap my prebuilt PC OS had.

If you terminate something you shouldn't you can always restart it or restart your computer as it doesnt delete files.

If you use teamspeak, using a channel without voice encryption will lower cpu usage from 2-3% to 0-1%

If you use skype, then you should consider to move away because skype is stone age and TS is electrical age.''

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

LOST TALE, on 17 Aug 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

''

Open Windows Task Manager.  (search it in start menu OR press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and open it from security screen)

Go to performance Tab. And look at the graph if one of your cpu cores hit 100% while playing BF4, thats a wall bottlenck (caus eI happen to call it that way B) )

If all cores hit 100%, its a full bottleneck. (then you can tell us and yourself if there's a cpu bottleneck) ( its actually more complicated then that but its ok)

Go to processes tab.

There you will find BF4.exe along with all the other crap running ony our computer.

See how much % of your cpu BF4 uses. If its 70% and your cpu is at 90% this means everything else in your computer uses 20%. so if you want more fps because your a ''tearing no-sync madman'' You can clean some of the other stuff running on your computer, like the microsoft spyware along with other crap my prebuilt PC OS had.

If you terminate something you shouldn't you can always restart it or restart your computer as it doesnt delete files.

If you use teamspeak, using a channel without voice encryption will lower cpu usage from 2-3% to 0-1%

If you use skype, then you should consider to move away because skype is stone age and TS is electrical age.''

sorry but no luck, I don't see any signs of a CPU bottleneck, in task manager the most utilization I get matches the graphs above, 60-75%, that's about it. I have already tried killing just about every process accept BF4, still same issue

I had a similar issue with BF4 , have you tried running the game as admin or a high priority on the task manager ? , but i have Sli which caused problems aswell , i had to create my own profile for BF4 lol , but as far as 8350 goes mine only gets to about 60% while playing a 64p server so yours seems a little high especially since your 8350 is OC'd aswell , and are your CPU cores unparked ??

ill ask a friend of mine about his setup , he has one very similar to yours, i think he had the same problem but he sorted it , ill let you know in a day or 2 if he says anything

yeah I have tried setting it to high priority, no luck... and yes my cores are all unparked

I'd say it's your internet

there is no reason my internet connection should affect my GPU usage, also someone with 120Mbps is having the same issue, (something like that, cant remember)

Cas latency, speed of electrical currents.

Small things. There is an explanation if the world is logical.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

LOST TALE, on 17 Aug 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:LOST TALE, on 17 Aug 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

''

Go to processes tab.

well here's what task manager says, the CPU isn't even at 40% utilization when running, I closed every application I could possibly close before hand... no idea what it could possibly be at this point

Cas latency, speed of electrical currents.

Small things. There is an explanation if the world is logical.

yes but to send it down under 30, their has to be something

post-59273-0-10333300-1408479862_thumb.p

post-59273-0-10333300-1408479862_thumb.p

Any chance you could show what you did for creating your own SLI profile or link to something that shows how to do that? I've always just used the stock profiles but would like to better understand exactly what the SLI profiles are doing. Thanks!

***update***

I have sucked it up and re-downloaded the game to a entirely fresh install of win7, same issue, no performance difference, accept on the in-game CPU/GPU chart, the CPU&GPU are right on top of each other at all times. gpu usage is still spending most of its time below 50% on latest official drivers

post-59273-0-41601900-1408547286_thumb.j

I see two cores close to saturation, that seems like a mainthread close to chocking to me.... In any case the CPU's load in general (compared to the 50ish load of the GPU) indicates it doesn't have the juice to power the card at your current settings. Just increase your visual settings, because there is nothing else you can do. Might aswell just increase the visuals if you're getting the same framerate anyway.

Something i'm interested in though, do you get full saturation during...say... Unigine Valley?