Need help with friend's new build

Babypowder

Hey there!

So yesterday my friend built this computer and I helped him out on Skype (I moved so I really couldn't help him physically anymore)

Here's the part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dqj7GX

After 3 hours of building his first PC, and me explaining where everything goes and we were done, he couldn't turn it on, so he flipped the 

Asus QR connector and it turned on, every fan worked, the cooler worked, the GPU was running, everything was running well. 

Here's the problem, when he went to plug in the HDMI cable to the GPU, there was no signal. Black screen. He reset it, black screen. 
We tried reconnecting the HDMI, swtiching HDMI Outputs, tried the Mobo, he repositioned the GPU. Everything that I could tell him to do

through Skype, but sadly, it just wouldn't display anything....

Anyone got any suggestions? We really can't see the BIOS on the screen but everything has power and is running. 

Thanks in advance

Current Build:

CPU: Core i5-9600K MOBO: Asus strix z390-i RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3200mhz GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix Storage: Samsung SSD 500GB & Samsung 1TB SSD Case: Louqe Ghost S1 Cooler: Noctua L12 - 92mm fan only PSU: Corsair SF600 Keybaord: Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Red

reset the CMOS

4790k with a 750ti? why :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Try removing the GPU and using the onboard graphics. Check the GPU is correctly plugged in.

The CPU is a i7 4790k (Devil's cannon) and it's running on a Z87 motherboard. Most H81, H87 and Z87 boards need a Bios update in order to work with the Haswell refresh CPUs. Many motherboards support BIOS flashback and similar, that allow you to update the bios without the need of a regular Haswell CPU (using  a USB drive); but I'm not sure if Asus added this feature on the A series motherboards.

is it just me or is that a really unbalanced system. Also why did you get a z87? 

My Little Gaming Rig:

CPU: FX 8320 | MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-D3P | RAM: G.Skill Ares 2x4GB | GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270X | Storage: Seagate SSHD 1TB | Case: Corsair 200R | PSU: CM 550W V-Series

Upgrades to come: CPU FAN: Corsair H100i | RAM: 2 more 4GB sticks | GPU: Another R9 270X running in crossfire | Storage: Samsung 120GB SSD | PSU: Corsair 800w

is it just me or is that a really unbalanced system. Also why did you get a z87? 

It is... 750Ti with 4790k... lol...

Try removing the GPU and using the onboard graphics. Check the GPU is correctly plugged in.

The CPU is a i7 4790k (Devil's cannon) and it's running on a Z87 motherboard. Most H81, H87 and Z87 boards need a Bios update in order to work with the Haswell refresh CPUs. Many motherboards support BIOS flashback and similar, that allow you to update the bios without the need of a regular Haswell CPU (using  a USB drive); but I'm not sure if Asus added this feature on the A series motherboards.

Try this, this probably is the cause...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

reset the CMOS

4790k with a 750ti? why :P

Let me point out that I didn't see the z87. 

He bought an Asus z97-A, so don't worry. 

He also bought the 750Ti because he wants to game but not like super intense shit. 

He had the money for the other parts, so I told him that in a year or 2 he can get another GPU (Which he will...) 

So, Resetting the CMOS. 

I'll try to tell him to remove the GPU. 

What if none of that works? Take out the CPU and re-seat it? I mean, it might of been DOA... 

Current Build:

CPU: Core i5-9600K MOBO: Asus strix z390-i RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 3200mhz GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix Storage: Samsung SSD 500GB & Samsung 1TB SSD Case: Louqe Ghost S1 Cooler: Noctua L12 - 92mm fan only PSU: Corsair SF600 Keybaord: Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Red

What if none of that works? Take out the CPU and re-seat it? I mean, it might of been DOA... 

It's extremely difficult to have a dead/not working CPU, they are not easy to damage and go through a lot of testings. If anything is DOA is the motherboard.

Try using the onboard graphics and see how it goes

It's extremely difficult to have a dead/not working CPU, they are not easy to damage and go through a lot of testings. If anything is DOA is the motherboard.

Try using the onboard graphics and see how it goes

Alright. He reset the CMOS and i am not sure if it helped. 

I will try to see what happens. Thanks

Current Build:

Good news guys! 
It worked! 

Believe it or not, I had to get another friend that I taught how to build pc's to help him out, and this might make you cringe (which I did.. and actually almost died)

He put the CPU backwards.... I don't know how this happens, but I guess he didn't align the gold triangle with the one in the socket. 

Thanks again for everyone's response and support. 

Side note, he might end up getting a gtx 780 or a 870 (whenever it comes out) 

Current Build:

Good news guys! 

It worked! 

Believe it or not, I had to get another friend that I taught how to build pc's to help him out, and this might make you cringe (which I did.. and actually almost died)

He put the CPU backwards.... I don't know how this happens, but I guess he didn't align the gold triangle with the one in the socket. 

Thanks again for everyone's response and support. 

Side note, he might end up getting a gtx 780 or a 870 (whenever it comes out) 

HOW COULD HE DO SUCH A THING

HOW COULD HE DO SUCH A THING

I DON'T KNOW.

MY FRIEND WHO HELPED HIM ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK WHEN HE SAW IT, AND WHEN HE TOLD ME I DIED. 

I am a ghost. 

Current Build: