FPS Drops when Getting Notifications.

WunderWuffle

So my friend is having a bit of an issue. He's getting FPS drops when he receives a notification in Steam, Skype, or whatever else. When this happens, he is playing games on his 120Hz monitor with other stuff like Skype on his secondary 60Hz monitor. We both think that the different refresh rates might be the cause, but we're not sure if there are other reasons for this. He's using borderless mode when he can on full screen games.

His system specs:

Intel Core i7-4770K

GTX 780 Ti

16GB RAM

250GB OS drive along with some other mass storage drives

All his drivers are up to date, that's pretty much it. If you need to know anything else, ask me.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

It's probably because of borderless, the notification pops up, making the game run in the background, causing the fps drops.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

So my friend is having a bit of an issue. He's getting FPS drops when he receives a notification in Steam, Skype, or whatever else. When this happens, he is playing games on his 120Hz monitor with other stuff like Skype on his secondary 60Hz monitor. We both think that the different refresh rates might be the cause, but we're not sure if there are other reasons for this. He's using borderless mode when he can on full screen games.

His system specs:

Intel Core i7-4770K

GTX 780 Ti

16GB RAM

250GB OS drive along with some other mass storage drives

All his drivers are up to date, that's pretty much it. If you need to know anything else, ask me.

how much fps drop..?? overclock the 60hz monitor... :P

how much fps drop..?? overclock the 60hz monitor... :P

He's usually dropping to 30FPS.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

It's probably because of borderless, the notification pops up, making the game run in the background, causing the fps drops.

I'm running border less, same settings on Skype, but I am fine.. Could it be because of the different refresh rates? Oh, he tried full screen and it seems to work just fine, but he alt tabs a lot so that's an issue since it minimizes league. Eh, idk..