Convert Fixed USB to Removable

Tuero

So from what I understand, USB's manufactures are making USB's show up as a fixed drive, meaning they show up as a local hard disk. Has anyone been able to convert a Fixed USB into a Removable one? I am trying to use my USB drive to make a bootable drive using the Microsoft "Install Windows" tool for windows 8. When you select the option to install windows to the USB, it will only accept removable devices, and since the USB is detected as a fixed local hard drive, it won't be recognized. 

Is it possible that something is wrong with your USB stick?   Because the tool worked fine for me, and I didn't do anything to my USB memory.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

In windows explorer, is your usb shown under the removable disks, or under your local hard drives (with your C and other drives)?

• 2 years later...

I also have this exact same issue. In the middle of researching solutions and will post the fix when I find it. 

Edit: found a solution. So it seems that there is no easy way to simply force a usb firmware to tell the os it is a removable drive and not a fixed/internal one. So you won't be able to use most applications that require storage to be removable, like the windows media creation tool. So you will need to use the media tool to download the ISO and use a third party application that will allow you to convert fixed drives into bootable ones. Like the ZOTAC WinUSB Maker. 

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/zotacwinusbmaker/

Not as elegant and forces you to take up a load of space on your computer but hey, beggars can't be choosers. Hope is helps. 

Edited by royvr
Found Solution

50 minutes ago, royvr said:

I also have this exact same issue. In the middle of researching solutions and will post the fix when I find it. 

Edit: found a solution. So it seems that there is no easy way to simply force a usb firmware to tell the os it is a removable drive and not a fixed/internal one. So you won't be able to use most applications that require storage to be removable, like the windows media creation tool. So you will need to use the media tool to download the ISO and use a third party application that will allow you to convert fixed drives into bootable ones. Like the ZOTAC WinUSB Maker. 

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/zotacwinusbmaker/

Not as elegant and forces you to take up a load of space on your computer but hey, beggars can't be choosers. Hope is helps. 

rufus does not care in the slightest about whether a USB drive is fixed or removable, it'll DD any image onto anything connected to USB

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64