Project: Playseat

activated1
This is something I finished about a year ago. I bought a used Logitech DFP some 4 years ago, and I honestly think it`s the best/most fun piece of hardware I ever bought. Shortly after the purchase I wanted to make a cockpit, I made some drawings but it was pretty much all I did. Then 2 years ago I entered a F1 2012 tournament. I practiced at home with my wheel bolted to the table, and me siting on an office chair. When I got to the tournament and sat in the playseat the feeling was so different than the one at home. Needles to say, as we had only one practice lap and two timed I only had a decent lap on my last lap but that was enough only for the midfield. When I got home I finally put my plans in motion, my dad gave me a seat, I bought/had the material I needed and the end product is on the pictures below. I`m currently making modifications to it so the Logitech G25 can fit (i need to make a mount for the shifter, and extend the bay for the pedals)

What I needed for the project:

- The seat (in my case it`s form a Citroen Saxo)

- one  3cm x 3cm square steel pipe 6m long 

- a piece of steel sheet metal 43x35cm

- a piece of l-profile 40cm long

- a piece of metal 48x10cm

- a piece of wood 50x25cm

- nuts & bolts

- a piece of carpet (for the pedal bay so they won`t slip)

- glue

- paint

- saw

- power drill

- electric grinder

- welding station

The initial plan was to copy the original Playseat but that one required the most material (and I was looking not to spend much), then I looked at the Playseat EVO & Playseat WRC design, and made my own crossover version of the those two :D

Original Playesat

831b89e4d5a7406185948ada.jpg

Playseat EVO

playseats-evo-white-g25-.jpg

Playesat WRC

playseats-wrcg251.jpg

The Sedište

img1637.jpg

The Šipka

dsc0002.jpg

Work in progress...

dsc0003.jpg

dsc0007.jpg

dsc0009.jpg

dsc0013.jpg

dsc0014.jpg

dsc0017.jpg

img1944.jpg

img1945.jpg

And The final product :)

img1952.jpg

img1954.jpg

img1955.jpg

img1951.jpg

Wow, nice! Considering how expensive those things are this seems like a really nice DIY version for racing fans.

Wow thats really awesome

I have been considering making a matching office chair and racing wheel cockpit from some old car seats I have in the garage

You might have inspired me to just go do it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Nice  metal fabrication work man. How much did you spend on the metal?

Nice  metal fabrication work man. How much did you spend on the metal?

The pipe was about 10€, the rest I had at home. But I would estimate that about 30€ would be enough to make the frame, and then you just need a seat ;)

I made the pedals and the wheel detachable so I can use the seat instead an office chair when I`m using my computer :)

lol.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

great job on the seat and frame

you can sell this looks clean and very good

Thumbs up

If you ever build another, using aluminum extrusion is very popular for the adjust-ability, and is easy to design to break down flat when you want to store it. Plus if you decide you don't want it anymore, you can always find a use for extrusions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PLAY-RACING-Gaming-Driving-Platform-Race-Seat-Simulator-Sim-Chair-Rig-Cockpit-/331129243141