[WIP] World's slowest build - Caselabs - Acrilic tubing - Custom sleeving

notenoughtv
A while ago I decided to upgrade my first watercooling loop for one with acrilic tubing. A week ago I received the last package of products I needed, or so I thought so. I forgot to order the mounting clamps for the reservoir. The Bitspower reservoir I ordered for the first time I built the system didn't come with any because I got the pump mod/res combo. 

Anyway, since I have to pay at least 45 dollars shipping for anything  I ordered an XSPC Photon 270 because the Bitspower res already has some scratches just from handling it. It takes about 3 weeks for any package from Performance PCs to get to me (mostly because of customs). So since I was already about a month and a half just using my laptop as my main computer, I decided to ghetto mount the res with zip ties so I coould at least use my computer.

The time I have to wait for the res to arrive inspired me to write up a build log, or the end part of one at least and since I have a half decent camera now, there is no reason not to write one.

First off, the specs.

Case: Caselabs SM8

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K

GPU: AMD R9 290 4GB

RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula

PSU: Seasonic 850W X Series 80 Plus Gold

SSD: Corsair GS 180GB (for now)

HDD: 2TB Seagate (not sure which one, it came out of a enclosed drive), 500GB WD Caviar Black inside a USB 3 enclosure for steam.

Peripherals and others.

CM Storm Quickfire

Logitech G602

Audioengine A2 Speakers

21" LG 1080p IPS monitor

27" Qnix 1440p monitor

Ebay chinese white LED Strip and some switch I bought from PPCS

White LED Delrin Vandal resistant Switch to replace the stock blue one.

Watercooling Parts.

EK Supremacy Plexi Nickel Block (Considering a full nickel top for the block)

EK Maximus V Formula Plexi Full Motherboard Block

Koolance VID-AR290X Water Block 

Phobya 60mm 480mm & 360mm rads

Swiftech D5 Pump

Bitspower Pump upgrade kit

XSPC Photon 270 reservoir

Monsoon Hardline Economy Fittings, White

EK CSQ Black Chrome fittings for the bottom part

6x Bitfenix Spectre Pro PWM White

3x Bitfenix Spectre Pro White LED

Swiftech 8 way PWM splitter

Monsoon Pro bender kit from PPCS

Monsoon Hardline 16mm acrylic tube

One piece of acrylic to cover the PSU and pump and one for the IO

Now the pictures.

This is what it looked like with the soft tubing.

I used to have an NZXT Hue. This is how the white light from it looked

OEJuROi.jpg

This is how the 8 dollars for the 5 meters of LED strip from ebay looked (Didn't use 5 meters for the case)

0kH0tqB.jpg

For the current build.

The loop is only running on the 480 rad currently. I have to drain it soon so I didn't bother using the 360 too.

Most of the acrylic is already bent to shape, the only piece left to bend is the one from the chipset to the res, when it arrives I'll get that done.

The acrylic bending kit

coVsX91.jpg

And this happened while bending so I had to order a new one with my reservoir

TVWsPsf.jpg

I put 4 LED strips behind the motherboard tray to light under it, that's why the audio PCB separation looks yellow.

GOhDALe.jpg

G6uaaCl.jpg

I changed the PSU fan for the PWM controlled Bitfenix fan, the stock one was too loud. This fan is plugged in and controlled by the motherboard

dIQMc2i.jpg

This acrilic piece will cover the IO, I have to figure out how I will stick it in place

riq2lQk.jpg

This one will cover the PSU and pump

6lq7nrD.jpg

These will go on the piece of acrilic

Vlo5gm3.jpg

This is how it looks now.

kFbjJon.jpg?1

AA22kV9.jpg

QeL255A.jpg

Yellow redline haha, I need to see what I do with this.

KhGLZmT.jpg

The mess in the back

CjNL0Vr.jpg

The front

Vt8aZ0O.jpg?1

Things I would like.

A way to dim the interior lighting. The LED strip is running of one of the fan headers on the Swiftech splitters, I could use a 7v adapter to dim the lights but I would like a way to have more control over it

I need to think of a nice way to cover the honeycomb mesh next to the rear IO. Too much light bleeds through and it annoys me.

The case lighting makes the underglow of the motherboard barely notisable. Both are currently on the same switch. I think I will wire the underglow permanently to the PSU

That looks awesome, just out of curiosity what's the reason behind it being upside down?

That looks awesome, just out of curiosity what's the reason behind it being upside down?

The caselabs sm8 is reversible so you can choose which way you want it. The only reason for it to be reversed is that the PC sits on a table to the left of my desk so in a regular setup I wouldn{t be able to see the window

The caselabs sm8 is reversible so you can choose which way you want it. The only reason for it to be reversed is that the PC sits on a table to the left of my desk so in a regular setup I wouldn{t be able to see the window

oh right, cool didn't think of that.

oh right, cool didn't think of that.

I also think it looks better because I get to see the GPU block instead of the PCB or a backplate

I also think it looks better because I get to see the GPU block instead of the PCB or a backplate

Good point, I agree I don't like the fact that you spend so much money on a GPU block especially one that's acrylic and then you can't even see it because it's facing down :)

I ordered black acetal tops for the CPU Block and the motherboard ones. Fast shipping would have almost doubled the cost so it will take about a month to arrive, hopefully less.

sa1x800_1.jpg

file_77.jpg

file_76.jpg

Had a Corsair HDD cage laying around but it was too tall to fit beneath the acrylic piece.

So I took some strong scissors to it, yes, scissors.

I need to clean up the edges. Fitment is temporary.

U2f5xI3.jpg?1

I'll start posting smaller images, for the slower connections

looks great so far!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

If you wanted to dim the lights and control it with a knob of some sort, you can get a potentiometer and rig it up in the cabling some how and that will do the job. Just make sure to get the right sensitivity. Nice Build!

Z87 Blue Beast - - - Intel 4670k at 4.4 GHZ - GTX 770 - MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX - Seasonic 760W 80+ Platinum - Corsair 650D - Aquaero - H100i [CLICK]

looks great so far!

Thanks

If you wanted to dim the lights and control it with a knob of some sort, you can get a potentiometer and rig it up in the cabling some how and that will do the job. Just make sure to get the right sensitivity. Nice Build!

Yeah, I just ordered a cheap pci bracket with a DC fan control knob. I'll cut it and hide it somewhere.

I like it :) cantg wait to seeit finished.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Great news.

My package arrived early, the XSPC Photon 270 is beautiful.

I already installed it in the case and tomorrow I will be draining the system and bending the last piece or pieces of tube (not sure yet the final route)

Maybe you guys can help me with this, but first some pictures

How everything is mounted right now, super ghetto

zf01Cph.jpg?1

Twist tie master race

GqgnDr8.jpg?1

Shiny

wcBjOs3.jpg?1

HYvIv8v.jpg?1

Sleeved the LED cable with white paracord

yLveHmg.jpg?1

Now I would like you guys to help me choose how I will route the inlet of the reservoir

There's number 1

bY5xP41.jpg?1

And there's number 2, the bend at the bottom would be U shaped

THoRckw.jpg?1

Mad paint skillzz

That cable management is roooouuuuugh.  Wish you were close by, I'd go to work on it for you.  A build like this needs full custom length sleeved cables.

That cable management is roooouuuuugh.  Wish you were close by, I'd go to work on it for you.  A build like this needs full custom length sleeved cables.

The 24 pin is the only cable using an extension. This power supply has a super annoying 24 pin layout and I don't have time to fully sleeve it. The PCI-E cable and the CPU 8 Pin are fully sleeved and both custom length

As for the mess in the back, I'll work on it once the loop in done.

• 5 weeks later...

excuse me sir, may i have some more?

MOAR!! this looks awesome, shame about all the holdups though.

Pentium G3258 @ 4.2GHz | Asus R9 290 | MSI Z97s SLI Plus | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600MHZ | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | 250GB 840 Evo |Evga Supernova 750W | Win 7 Home Premium | Corsair Obsidian 800D |

i5-2450M @ 2.50 GHz | 8GB RAM | 500GB 5400rpm HDD | Nvidia gt630m | Win 8.1 Pro |