Asgard - Data server - Pentium G3420/Z87-i/RM450/Prodigy

2sysel2

Hi, this is going to be small build/upgrade log. Some parts are reused from my other computer, some are brand new.

Name :

Well I use mythical name for all my computers and Realm Eternal that's where i would like my data.

Usage :

This machine will serve as NAS, Plex server, Teamspeak server and i might host few games for me and my friends.

Specs:

CPU : Intel Pentium G3420

MB : Asus Z87i-pro (i know it's overkill but it was taken from my other pc when i got new MB)

RAM : Corsair Vengence Black 8gb CL10

PSU : Corsair RM450

Case : Bitfenix Prodigy White mITX

Storage :

Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB (System drive)

Intel SSD 520 120GB (Most of the servers)

WD RED 3TBx3 (Storage space)

Storage configuration:

For now the storage will be set up as JBOD. I might go with RAID1 when i get 2 more drives for backing up photos and other stuff from the network. The other REDs will stay JBOD or I might change them to RAID1 I'm not really sure right now.

Backup:

Well this is going to be backup for the rest of the computers. I don't have any plans for backing up this machine expect syncing my photos to Dropbox.

Photos:

I'll attach few photos of the system.

My thoughts about this build:
Well for now it is working fine. My only problem was with the build quality of the Prodigy drive cage - my other build is in Fractal Design Define XL R2 and the drive cages there are much better. The temperatures of the drives are usually lower but this week is really toasty where i live(room temperature around 30 degeres C)

This build might be WIP for a long time. I'm thinking about adding optical drive so I potentialy could make images of instalation drives for laptops(I only have 1 optical drive now and it is really unreliable - it's taken from my Asus N53SN and it's i usb bos).

Edited by 2sysel2

Asgard - Local server(Plex, Minecraft, Teamspeak, etc.)

Valhalla - My main rig(i5 4670k@4.4GHz,GTX780 ACX)

Valkyrie - Asus N53SN(Yeah I want to get rid of this and replace it with something more mobile)

Nice build. How is the Prodigy for cable management? Considering it for a friend of mine.

I can take some pictures, but i think there isn't a lot of space for cable managment - there is no problem with sata cables or power cables, but i think that the "front"(side panel) i/o makes a lot of mess - you have to take of that panel everytime you want to change something so the cables are quite long and when the case is closed you can't just tug them away because you wouldn't be able to open it again

Valkyrie - Asus N53SN(Yeah I want to get rid of this and replace it with something more mobile)

well here is couple new photos (primarly the side with the io and most of the cables)

well the laptop is not exactly part of the build but it was on the table when i was taking the photos and i think the factory install is quite interesting (never tried factory install iso before) + all the periphelals(only for bios stuff)(well not all there is scanner/printer combo)

Edited by 2sysel2

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few minutes I got i little "mod" done - I added 2 fans(which I think I'll change for something silent).One is for the drives and the second one will be for a raid card(i'm currently researching one). The fans are not leveled because the dot matrix spacing isn't even.

and yes the fans are not plugged in yet

EDIT : well i scraped this idea - i don't need them right now(well i haven't ordered my raid card yet and these fans are too loud)

• 2 weeks later...

well i have another little update - i did a bit of cable managment (i made 1 custom sata cable (or maybe just edited 1 abit)) and i'm planning on adding plexiglass backplate under the motherboard this weakend

the backside is now much cleaner then before, but still not really clean

also i added intel ssd 520 which i now use for most of my server data

Nice build, I like it. Will also build a Plex server ;)

Nice build. How is the Prodigy for cable management? Considering it for a friend of mine.

So, I had the mATX Version of the prodigy, and honestly, I would never buy it again. I changed my case (Mini R4).

My reasons:

- Lack of cable good management

- Airflow was bad, at least for me

- orientation of the Motherboard 

- Not much place for HDD (especially 3.5 inch ones)

I can't judge the itx version, but the mATX is really not worth it.

Hope it helped you in any way ;)

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

Have you considered a Xeon build? They can come pretty cheap but don't have integrated graphics, so you'll need a cheap graphics card you can keep most of your current components, but the CPU, mobo, cooler, and gps need replacement / adding:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yTshFT

EDIT: Just saw you case change. Try this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GQTYmG

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Have you considered a Xeon build? They can come pretty cheap but don't have integrated graphics, so you'll need a cheap graphics card you can keep most of your current components, but the CPU, mobo, cooler, and gps need replacement / adding:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yTshFT

EDIT: Just saw you case change. Try this instead: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GQTYmG

Not really my build is mITX so I would kill my only expansion slot with useless GPU, most of the build is done I'll be only adding HDDs and a raid card in near future(so I'll need the pci-e slot for that) and I'm not sure I'd go with xeon anyway because i don't need ecc memory and if i wanted more performance i'd probably go with i5 which has decent onboard graphics.

Nice build, I like it. Will also build a Plex server ;)

So, I had the mATX Version of the prodigy, and honestly, I would never buy it again. I changed my case (Mini R4).

My reasons:

- Lack of cable good management

- Airflow was bad, at least for me

- orientation of the Motherboard

- Not much place for HDD (especially 3.5 inch ones)

I can't judge the itx version, but the mATX is really not worth it.

Hope it helped you in any way ;)

Thanks mate, today I finally took it offline for couple of hours (not just swapping drives a usual) and I managed to tidy the build alot(and finally took some nice pictures during daylight) I currently have plugged all six onboard sata ports and with custom sata power cable it looks potreti tidy (most of my problems were caused by the sata power cable spacing) and I'm pretty sure i can keep it that way even after adding raid card (I'm looking for an 8 port controller)

edit: the thing i really don't like about the prodigy are the drive cages which feel really flimsy (and don't use screws for the 3.5" drives)

I'll add the galley link when I'll get to my laptop

EDIT2:

so finally i got on my laptop and here are the new photos

BONUS POINTS to anyone who can find me a mITX motherboard wit ac97 audio connector  :D