Recommend me a tripod

Hey guys,

I've just recently picked up a Canon 700D and I was wondering what tripod would suit me and is the best for price? 

Generally speaking, it's for indoor use only, will be fixed into one location the majority of the time, and needs to be adjustable, maybe level adjust it that's something that will fit into my budget vs performance scale.

Thanks in advance! :)

#!

PlayDohCan.jpg

Thank you very much for that informative reply. It has helped me achieve more than I thought was possible.

#!

I bought a Joby tripod and that's working out great. It might be too short though.

Yeah, I'm looking at something that can be floor mounted and then shoot someone that is around 5ft 10 - 6ft standing with the upper body in the middle of the frame and in focus etc. 

I have no idea about this side of technology, so I thought I'd ask in here first :)

#!

Thank you very much for that informative reply. It has helped me achieve more than I thought was possible.

If you think about it, enough playdoh can do exactly what you want. :)

If you think about it, enough playdoh can do exactly what you want. :)

I think the cost of buying or making that much playdo will be counter-productive my friend.

#!

Ill have to find mine it was under $200 I believe and is amazong bang for the back the only downside is weight but with your use case I dont think that would be a issue.

For photography, almost any cheap-ass tripod will do, though might shake a bit when taking long exposure shots, so a remote could be useful for that.

For cheap-ass tripods I meant maybe 20$ - 30$ cheapos, they'll do their job, maybe not well, but for your use, I'd say it could be enough.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

For photography, almost any cheap-ass tripod will do, though might shake a bit when taking long exposure shots, so a remote could be useful for that.

For cheap-ass tripods I meant maybe 20$ - 30$ cheapos, they'll do their job, maybe not well, but for your use, I'd say it could be enough.

I'm doing 100% video work, so I need something that is super sturdy and won't shake at a little bit of breeze etc, haha!

#!

I'm doing 100% video work, so I need something that is super sturdy and won't shake at a little bit of breeze etc, haha!

Oh. Then I can't help you (yet).

Ain't gonna be cheap to get a good tripod for videography.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Tripods....  If you are serious about your work, you will probably want to invest in a good tripod instead of buying a cheap one and later, after realizing it sucks, having to fork out money for a solid tripod.  From the "Strobist" website:

Tripod Buying 101

First: Don't buy a crappy, no-name tripod. You'll only have to repeat the process later. Trust me on that one. I learned the hard way.

Second, don't buy
 too much tripod. Buy enough to support whatever platform you are using. That will allow you to point your money towards good quality rather than just buying a larger piece of crap. If you shoot with a DSLR, buy a tripod that is designed for s DSLR. Don't waste money on the next size up in hope of more stability. 

So figure out a budget and how much weight your tripod will be holding.  I have two tripods.  One is a smaller carbon fiber Gitzo tripod that I use when I go hiking.  The second is a larger aluminium Manfrotto tripod.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I use them for certain situations.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

First off are you serious about photography or videography which ever you are doing? If so do not cheap out on a tripod iv had a few cheap ones and they are terrible little wind and they fall over. I have a pretty good tripod by vanguard its a vanguard alta+ 264ao, i like the pan head over the ball head i find it easier for macro work. 

You can pick up a good tripid for cheap off ebay.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

Tripods....  If you are serious about your work, you will probably want to invest in a good tripod instead of buying a cheap one and later, after realizing it sucks, having to fork out money for a solid tripod.  From the "Strobist" website:

Tripod Buying 101

First: Don't buy a crappy, no-name tripod. You'll only have to repeat the process later. Trust me on that one. I learned the hard way.

Second, don't buy too much tripod. Buy enough to support whatever platform you are using. That will allow you to point your money towards good quality rather than just buying a larger piece of crap. If you shoot with a DSLR, buy a tripod that is designed for s DSLR. Don't waste money on the next size up in hope of more stability. 

So figure out a budget and how much weight your tripod will be holding.  I have two tripods.  One is a smaller carbon fiber Gitzo tripod that I use when I go hiking.  The second is a larger aluminium Manfrotto tripod.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses and I use them for certain situations.

This ^

If you aren't moving around a lot Manfrotto has some really good stable options at decent prices. I have an 055XPROB and would recommend it, it's a little on the heavy side, but it's definitely not going anywhere. 

Ill have to find mine it was under $200 I believe and is amazong bang for the back the only downside is weight but with your use case I dont think that would be a issue.

this is what ive got: Slik Pro 700DX http://goo.gl/7o6wZu there is also a version that comes with a ball head but you probably dont want that for video likely.

I can vouch for Manfrotto. Very solid and stable, sometimes a little too much. Also very flexible in use with lots of position, rotation, and angle options. 

Workstation: i7-4930k | Asus Rampage IV Gene | Reference GTX 780 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | Corsair RM650 | MidNight Black BitFenix Prodigy M

Old Rigi5-2500k @ 4.7 GHz | Asus P8P67 Deluxe | EVGA GTX 560 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | 240 GB Samsung 830 Pro | 1TB Hitachi | CoolerMaster Storm Scout (1)

Yeah Manfrotto makes very good sturdy tripods. I'd also recommend looking for ones that have replaceable heads. A lot of the mid to high end ones will but just something to look out for. This way you can also upgrade. This way you can potential start out with something that is cheap but with a good body and upgrade the head at a later point to something better.  Obviously if you can afford something well rounded to begin with go with that but if you are on a budget its not a bad way to go. 

This image was done with a fricking rock, I didn't have my tripod with me at the time and boy would i of killed for some playdough

882100_622243787868615_82179615510432499

My current tripod is a $400 giant ass fluidhead made of steel for supporting a xl1 with giant ass lens. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I would recommend the Dynex 60" tripod. really sturdy, great build quality; you're not cheaping out. the only downside is that the x panning isn't the smoothest, but since you're using it as a stationary this shouldn't be a problem.

A lot of videographers are recommending this for a very interesting entry-level tripod.

When I can, I will personaly get my hands on one of those :D

crafted personality!

• 5 weeks later...

I would recommend any tripod from Gitzo Mountaineer and Basalt series, together with a Manfrotto head

Gitzo is the last tripod you'll ever use, they're the most durable tripods you can get!

if you are doing video work get an manfrotto 504 head and sticks I wood not recommend gitzo for video work. the heads suck for video work and they are the same company just one is better for stills.

when asking on which you NLE shud use to edit video I will tell you to get avid and an mac. life is easy when it just works.

I am using Cheap Proaim carbon fiber tripod, very lightweight. Quality wise it is well built and price is also best. 

I love the Fluid Head...

This image was done with a fricking rock, I didn't have my tripod with me at the time and boy would i of killed for some playdough

My current tripod is a $400 giant ass fluidhead made of steel for supporting a xl1 with giant ass lens. 

thats a sweet  picture

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans