Sound randomly cuts out and stops working in Windows 8.1 ?

(Not sure if this is the right place to post, let me know.)

So I'm having this issue where my sound will just stop working, mainly while switching between programs. Everything says it's working properly and all the drivers are up to date.
Simply logging out and then logging back in works as a temporary fix; but the problem will come back in an uncertain amount of time.

Any help is appreciated.

Do you have multiple playback devices in windows?

(right click the audio and click playback devices)

If it has multiple, disable the ones you dont need (right click and disable) and to show the disabled ones (right click under the devices and click show disabled devices)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Do you have multiple playback devices in windows?

(right click the audio and click playback devices)

If it has multiple, disable the ones you dont need (right click and disable) and to show the disabled ones (right click under the devices and click show disabled devices)

i took a screenshot of the playback device at a time where the sound wasn't working http://imgur.com/O9S7Z4A

and it's the same for both working and non working

not sure if the AMD HDMI audio is an issue, since it says "not plugged in" even when the sound is working

I found that switching between speaker configurations with Realtek HD Audio Manager, does get the sound back. http://imgur.com/cHnwx7w
Its still a temporary fix and its really not that much of an issue.
However i still think doing this is more of a hassle than it should be.