Best 1440p monitor?

nike290

it seems going over 100 can be hit or miss though. 

The 3 27 inch Qnix monitors my wife and I bought, overclock to 120hertz some times with no problems and other times we get these blue lines that show up. the sweet spot for all 3 of our monitors are 115hertz ( overclocked) with zero issues. Now I don't know if this plays a factor in getting Korean panels or not  that overclock good, but we got the pixel perfect versions of the Qnix monitors and they all overclock the same. Don't know if we were lucky or if all the pixel perfect version ones will hit 115hertz fine.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Every time an in depth monitor review site covers those cheap eBay Korean monitor it's always the same story:

-> Ludicrously high input lag at 30ms.

-> Frame skips when overclocked, (confirmed with forum users that actually spend the time to test), making it all pointless.

And I am being told here how this the "wrong monitor", and that there is a specific monitor that magically deliver this going above what dual Link DVI (which the monitor they suggest only has), specification.

And that is beside all long list of downside it comes with.

Stick with a normal, branded, trusted 27inch monitor that actually delivers. The ASUS PB278Q is an excellent choice. If you want another choice, the Dell U2713HM, which is virtually the same monitor in terms of performance, features, and colors.

The Dell one uses AH-IPS panel, from LG.

The ASUS one uses an IPS-PLS panel from Samsung (IPS panel, but Samsung calls it PLS)

display port hub?

AFAIK you can't run both monitors at 144hz from a hub

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Every time an in depth monitor review site covers those cheap eBay Korean monitor it's always the same story:

-> Ludicrously high input lag at 30ms.

-> Frame skips when overclocked, (confirmed with forum users that actually spend the time to test), making it all pointless.

And I am being told here how this the "wrong monitor", and that there is a specific monitor that magically deliver this going above what dual Link DVI (which the monitor they suggest only has), specification.

And that is beside all long list of downside it comes with.

Stick with a normal, branded, trusted 27inch monitor that actually delivers. The ASUS PB278Q is an excellent choice. If you want another choice, the Dell U2713HM, which is virtually the same monitor in terms of performance, features, and colors.

The Dell one uses AH-IPS panel, from LG.

The ASUS one uses an IPS-PLS panel from Samsung (IPS panel, but Samsung calls it PLS)

So, do all monitors skip frames at 60hz+? Or is it only at the higher levels that frame skipping happens?

And the Asus PB278Q can't be overclocked at all apparently. Is there any brand name trusted monitors that can?

Trusted brand normally have circuitry like color processors to outputs great colors, and allows you have a complete on screen menu (let alone have one). So, because of that, the circuitry is designed for 60Hz signal. It may support 75Hz, but that is for supporting VGA, a must if you are stuck using that old connectors, and in an high interference area, where you need to send a 'stronger' signal to compensate to try and have a better and sharper image on the screen. The cheap eBay Korean monitors, don't have. Some only have like 5 to 8 brightness levels to select from with no on screen indicator on the current level. Some have on screen menu, but the brightness is not actually controlling the back light illumination, that stays at 100%, but plays with colors, like you open your AMD or Nvidia Control Panel, and slide down the brightness level. It doesn't actually drop the brightness of the display, it just plays with the colors. They are ok ones, but they cost nearly as much or the same as a trusted branded monitor (if you wait for specials).

Dual-link DVI specification, says that it can only do, at a maximum: 2560x1600 @ 60Hz.

As the 27inch monitor are 2560x1440 at 60Hz, they can reach higher frequency. It looks like, based on my reading, that 90Hz is the best you can get if you are willing to use a short high quality DVI cable, and willing to accept potentially few frame drops here and there. Maybe (I am guessing, as I don't have one to test), 85-75Hz would be the max frequency to ensure no frame skip. Will you see a difference between 60Hz and 85Hz? and, is it worth the massive downsides that you get from those cheap eBay Korean monitor? Plus, keep in mind that, IPS panels aren't fast enough for true 120Hz response time. It's for a reason why 3D TV's using IPS panels, only uses passive 3D glasses as the TV panels runs at 60Hz, and that you don't have any gaming 1080p monitor on IPS.

The problem reading about overclocking these cheap Korean monitors, is that its 100% subjective. You can have one, with have massive frame skipping at 120Hz, but he doesn't see any problem. The input lag is high, but also might not be a problem. Some do. So, now you have a discussion between: "bad luck", or the person achieving such high result, doesn't see the problem. Especially that most people getting those monitors, don't have a good 120Hz gaming monitor to compare side by side, and even then.. it's subjective. It's hard for me to say any actual fact. Some have 90Hz and for them it's good enough. Well fine, but to me, it's not the promised 120Hz.

So what happens with those cheap eBay monitors, they use some poorly engineered circuit board for the panel which is bare bone, so, it allows overclocking. However, due to the poorly engineer circuit (which they all share the same, pretty much. They are exceptions though), they have super high latency.

That is why I say that, getting those cheap eBay Korean monitor are fine if you are on a tight budget, and really want 2560x1440, and you understand what you will be getting in exchange to the low price tag.

I have the Dell U2410, an IPS panel, 1920x1200. I can't get 61Hz working. 60Hz is the max.

That is because the monitor has complex circuitry and processor to offer me a color processor, Look Up Table, support for component and composite, picture-in-picture, and side-by-side picture-in-picture, more details color adjustment options under the custom color profile (I can adjust the Red, Green, and Blue of: Gain and Offset, and Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow, of Saturation and Hue). So the circuitry is designed to run at 60Hz, as the panel is 60Hz, and doesn't anticipate overclocking ('cause that would cost a lot more to implement... and if they did, might as well market that it runs faster Hertz, but the IPS panel isn't fast enough)

• 2 months later...

Just as an update, I have been using the Asus PB278Q for a little bit now and I have to say this is the best purchase I have ever made. I can never go back to a 1080p monitor now (:

Has anyone heard of new monitors being released later this year (not GSync... just 1440p IPS)? I know some monitors are usually released around August but I'm so tempted to buy a PB278Q. Is this currently the best 1440p monitor for gaming? Or is the Dell U2713HM a better choice?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of new monitors being released later this year (not GSync... just 1440p IPS)? I know some monitors are usually released around August but I'm so tempted to buy a PB278Q. Is this currently the best 1440p monitor for gaming? Or is the Dell U2713HM a better choice?

The PB278Q looks really good in games and I don't notice any input lag. For me this is the best monitor for gaming. If I remember right the Dell U2713HM can have some backlight bleeding and is a lot less consistent the PB278Q. Also if you like 120Hz then there are Korean Qnix monitors that are available and are able to be overclocked but may have a dead pixel or two (my friend's had one dead pixel). Sorry about the late post, hope this helps!