HTC One M8 owners, what are the cons?

MooseParade

I'm swapping out my Galaxy S3 for the One M8 this weekend and just wanted to know from actual owners, what, if any, cons there are.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

if you get rash from aluminium, you may have a problem, 

on a more serious note, the camera is pretty good but dont expect to crop or anything with it, not really that good at that

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Linus is a self proclaimed "HTC One Fanboy". That's why I'm asking the community. 

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Because of the aluminium the phone gets noticeably warmer in your hand by average/heavy use. When its Cold your aluminium will be the other way around and be very cold.

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

I do qi charging with my S3 and the one m8 doesnt have it so I unfortunately wont get it.

Comb it with a brick

My mother has it, the biggest con ive found about it is that you cant get a replacement battery, it sucks for heavy users that use it for a long time or want to play a game on the go.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I don't own one, but Elric from Tech of Tomorrow talked about how slippery the back of the phone is. 

Is the camera really that bad or is it just being blown out of proportion?

Is the camera really that bad or is it just being blown out of proportion?

I have the m7 and it's pretty bad, you can barely zoom in on pictures without details being insanely pixelated. It's quite good for low light shots, but now that other phones like the S5 are decent at low light, HTC doesn't have that advantage with their phone.

I have the m7 and it's pretty bad, you can barely zoom in on pictures without details being insanely pixelated. It's quite good for low light shots, but now that other phones like the S5 are decent at low light, HTC doesn't have that advantage with their phone.

The S5 is good in all conditions EXCEPT low light, it looks pretty bad. That's what happens when you put 16MP in a super tiny sensor. The camera on the M8 will take good enough pictures for everyday use like sharing as long as you don't want to crop a whole bunch. I've found that the BIGGEST issue is how bright light can be blown out or darks can be way too dark; basically it's dynamic range is lacking. HDR mode should fix the problem.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

The HTC One M8 has no proper image stabilization or whatever it's called when taking videos to make way for the dual-lens thingy that makes barely any difference in camera performance, and in fact decreases performance over the old one/One (see what I did there?  ;)) for people with shaky hands. If you must get a HTC One, get the old one/One (this joke's getting old  :rolleyes:).

If you are willing to choose some other phone altogether, let me advise you. A few people have said above, the body shell is made of aluminium and gets really hot when it is doing hardcore processing or after a long charge. It gets to the extent where it was not touchable and my brother could not use it without spraying water on the phone. Get something like, say, a Nexus 4, if you will.

Gaming rig:

i5-4670k, H100i, MSI Z97 SLI, Vengeance DDR3-1600 2*4GB, 840 EVO 250GB, Barracuda 1TB, GTX 780 Ti, 450D, CX750, VG248QE

Workstation:

Xeon E3-1231 v3, NH-U14S, Asus Z97-PRO, Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 2*8GB, 840 EVO 250GB, 2*WD Red 2TB (RAID 0), GTX 780 Ti, Define R4, AX760, VS229H-P

It depends on what you are comparing it against. You can only talk about pros and cons relative to something else.

The S5 is good in all conditions EXCEPT low light, it looks pretty bad. That's what happens when you put 16MP in a super tiny sensor. The camera on the M8 will take good enough pictures for everyday use like sharing as long as you don't want to crop a whole bunch. I've found that the BIGGEST issue is how bright light can be blown out or darks can be way too dark; basically it's dynamic range is lacking. HDR mode should fix the problem.

Samsung actually did a great job improving low light performance while at the same time increasing resolution.

Here is a very low light test to show the difference (SGS5 on top, M8 on the bottom):

GS5crop.jpg

M8crop.jpg

The M8 is obviously better in this shot, but that's a photo taken at night. If you talk about regular indoors shots or locations which are just dim, then the Galaxy S 5 is better than the M8.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the Galaxy S 5 had been pretty much on par with the M8 if Samsung had included OIS in it (which would have allowed for longer exposure time) in these really low light situations, and just blown the M8 out of the water in decent/well lit scenes. If only Samsung hadn't been so cheap to not include OIS...

The camera is by far the worst part about the M8, it's even worse than the M7.

Lenovo Y50-70 Touch

I7-4700

GTX-860M 2gb

Woops double post

Lenovo Y50-70 Touch

I7-4700

GTX-860M 2gb

The only cons I've found really so far:

1) Camera is just OK in bright light. Inside, or in the dark, it's one of the best you are going to find in a phone, especially and android one. Bright light from behind what you're taking a picture of doesn't work out well, but if you learn it you can still get pics that are perfectly fine for online/facebook/viewing on the phone in pretty much any lighting condition. Just don't expect to crop/zoom in on them much or make 8x10's of every picture you take. 

2) No built in wireless charging. Doesn't really bother me, but some have an issue with it. You can always get a wireless charging adapter that is easy to hide in basically any case and they work reasonably well if that's something you want to add. 

3) Personal preference here, but with the screen being larger than the m7 but the resolution/effective DPI being the same, everything on the screen is larger. That's great and all for a lot of people, but I'd rather have a 4x5 or so home screen and another row or so in the app drawer. Also, if apps would shrink everything down to fit more on the screen, that would be amazing. However, this is a very personal, YMMV sort of thing and is by no means a deal breaker. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

GET THE M8!

If you come from a Samsung like i did you will really appreciate the phone.

If i had one complaint and this is a TINY complaint, i would say that it does get a little warm.

Running 3D mark makes it especially toasty.

I understand its a bench which is made to Push the phone, but compared to the M7 its a lot cooler.

One plus i will throw in just for S&G's is that waking up in the morning and holding it for the first time is awesome, Aluminium YAAL!

For me a con would be the camera on it, the camera is not bad but it's also not the best. Also for everyone who say that their phone gets hot, what the hell are you doing with your phones, running benchmarks on it?

Another con that I got over was the power button, at first it was a bit hard to hit but after a while you get used to it.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

For me a con would be the camera on it, the camera is not bad but it's also not the best. Also for everyone who say that their phone gets hot, what the hell are you doing with your phones, running benchmarks on it?

This made me laugh, cause the post immediately before said that it gets hot when he runs 3Dmark. So yes. 

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Just got my HTC One M8 today, been playing around with it and I like it. Not really into photography so as long as the camera takes decent enough pictures, I'm fine with it. So far, my one grouse is that while typing messages, I tend to hit the 'Home' button instead of the space bar.....so far, that's my one grouse. Anyway, it's not my only phone, I'm using my Note 3 as my main phone while the M8's my 2nd phone, I have a supplementary number for it, runs on or shares the plan I have for my Note 3. I was actually deciding between this and the Xperia Z2, the overall feel of the M8 won me over.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Well, one con for me is I now have some dust under my screen. I'm taking it back to T-mobile this afternoon to exchange it as I'm well within my 14 days. Other than that, still loving it.

I've the M8 for about a week. For me the Cons are as follows:

- I love the aluminum body but found it fairly slippery to hold. I've since put a case on the phone so grip is no longer a problem (it's not uncommon for me to drop my phone).

- Camera is OK... I wish it was alot better. Coming from an S3, the M8 photos seem to lack contrast and saturation.

Overall I'm really happy with my new phone and would recommend it as long as you can live with the unimpressed camera.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers