Analyst: Upgrades of Apple iPad in 2014 may seem minor, but they are important (yeah right)

KakaoDj

Xperia Z lasted what 6 months before being upgraded?

Samsung and HTC change minor things about their phones most people are amazed and impressed at the little changes.

Apple makes changes to the iPad let the hating begin.

I've a HTC One, do I want the M8? A little bit but I'm not going to spend the money on it. What about someone who is coming from another older phone such as an iPhone 4. Of course they should pick up the latest version rather than pick up a year old phone.

The s5, It makes perfect sense for someone coming from an s2 or an s3. Minor upgrades between one generation gap might be considered pointless but that does not mean its pointless for people who are two or more generations behind.

What about Intels tick tock strategy should we just get rid of Ivy Bridge because its only incremental, Let's all email the board now and tell them not to bother with broadwell either apparently minor updates aren't worth bothering with.

To the others who have actual physical reactions to an Apple thread seriously ?? I won't purchase a Samsung product until they replace the current Chairman, but seeing Samsung products doesn't make me angry, and if they genuinely have the better product in a scenario and a friend needs one I will recommend it. Honestly some people just make me sigh.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Stop being Apple haters the lot of you.

my iPad is better than your crappy Android tablets. My HTC One is a great phone too.

5C doesn't have TouchID :P

In all seriousness though, the S5 wasn't a great upgrade either so why bitch about Apple.

The iPad will see a 64 bit processor and hopefully the long overdue 16:9 display conversion.

The latest iPads already have 64 bit processors, the A7 which is slightly better than a quad-core Snapdragon 800.

There won't be any "16:9" conversion. 4:3 is staying because it's best for browsing, which is one of the most used functions of an iPad.

That's like asking women why buy new shoes when you have perfectly fine ones that are very similar anyway. No seriously, it is exactly like that: This "tech" is sold as fucking fashion.

So my A7 retina iPad Mini is fashion now is it? Name me just ONE Android tablet that even comes CLOSE to the elegance of an iPad. No tablet does, the closest being the Nexus 7. even then, it's lightyears behind in terms of apps , ecosystem, design, weight, sleek interface, and not to mention the fastest mobile browser. FACT.

The latest iPads already have 64 bit processors, the A7 which is slightly better than a quad-core Snapdragon 800.

No it's not. Not in terms of raw performance. The Snapdragon 800 is much more powerful CPU wise.

There won't be any "16:9" conversion. 4:3 is staying because it's best for browsing, which is one of the most used functions of an iPad. 

I disagree that it's best for web browsing. If you look at most web pages they are pretty narrow and very tall. 10:16 is better for web browsing if you ask me.

It's far better for videos as well because you get less black bars.

For reading it is also superior since most books (and specially comics) are closer to 10:16 than 4:3/3:4.

iOS is pretty bad though and can't handle scaling so changing the aspect ratio would break all apps, so I doubt they will do it. If iOS could scale like Android does then Apple would probably have changed to 16:10 already.

Why are you so against better technology? Why did you upgrade from your 800x600 CRT and Athlon x64? Dual and quad cores are just "fucking fashion" right?

If you don't like progression then please find a new hobby, because technology isn't for you.

Not everyone who is planning on getting this uses the current gen iPad, or even has a tablet at all. Don't downplay improvements just because you might have something that almost as good, or because you don't personally want/need the upgrade.

Don't Apple have a habit of crippling the performance of their current devices with mandatory updates so you will buy the new ones though? I wouldn't know first hand, but I think I remember RoosterTeeth talking about it. If it is true though, getting the newest one every iteration seems more necessary with Apple devices.

LTT gets mad at apple for constant upgrades to their hardware and software but it seems they are all for it when any Android handset maker does the same they are praised.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

No it's not. Not in terms of raw performance. The Snapdragon 800 is much more powerful CPU wise.

I disagree that it's best for web browsing. If you look at most web pages they are pretty narrow and very tall. 10:16 is better for web browsing if you ask me.

It's far better for videos as well because you get less black bars.

For reading it is also superior since most books (and specially comics) are closer to 10:16 than 4:3/3:4.

iOS is pretty bad though and can't handle scaling so changing the aspect ratio would break all apps, so I doubt they will do it. If iOS could scale like Android does then Apple would probably have changed to 16:10 already.

Yes, it is in terms of raw performance:

89Zoh.png

89ZtW.png

89ZHC.jpg

89ZJH.jpg

I prefer 4:3 rather than 16:9 myself, since I've experienced it and I don't like the fact that its too tall portrait-wise. Using an iPad in landscape mode is fantastic.

When the A8 comes out, I can guarantee you it will blow everything out of the water.

Funny thing really, everyone is like this when it's Apple and when Intel are about to release chips with an 100mhz OC nobody cares, or every other company that makes tiny changes for the next itteration..

I'm sure you must be referring to the Ivy Bridge launch. When Intel launched these chips, it did not just bring 100MHz more. It brought PCIe 3.0, the Z77 chipset with brought native USB 3 and SATA 3 support, a better memory controller and some new under the hood tech, like Tri-Gate Transistors.

Please do some more research before posting stuff like that.

Don't Apple have a habit of crippling the performance of their current devices with mandatory updates so you will buy the new ones though? I wouldn't know first hand, but I think I remember RoosterTeeth talking about it. If it is true though, getting the newest one every iteration seems more necessary with Apple devices.

I don't think they have ever intentionally crippled performance,although some updates have caused older phones to become really slow but that's because the hardware gets outdated and starts sucking.

Apple has limited the functionality of updates for older phones in the past though. The most obvious one being Siri. The only reason they didn't include Siri support for the iphone 4 (and I believe the first iPad as well) was to give you a reason to upgrade.

Yes, it is in terms of raw performance:

<benchmarks>

I prefer 4:3 rather than 16:9 myself, since I've experienced it and I don't like the fact that its too tall portrait-wise. Using an iPad in landscape mode is fantastic.

When the A8 comes out, I can guarantee you it will blow everything out of the water.

A lot of those benchmarks are either browser (irrelevant for measuring raw performance, and a lot of them are inaccurate) or GPU based (and I was specifically talking about the CPU, the iPhone and iPad has fantastic GPUs).

I don't think they have ever intentionally crippled performance,although some updates have caused older phones to become really slow but that's because the hardware gets outdated and starts sucking.

Apple has limited the functionality of updates for older phones in the past though. The most obvious one being Siri. The only reason they didn't include Siri support for the iphone 4 (and I believe the first iPad as well) was to give you a reason to upgrade.

A lot of those benchmarks are either browser (irrelevant for measuring raw performance, and a lot of them are inaccurate) or GPU based (and I was specifically talking about the CPU, the iPhone and iPad has fantastic GPUs).

But if it shows you that the GPU is good and browser speed, then that must mean the CPU is good too. Didn't that one with GB integer and stuff like that refer to CPU-side? If so, then it clearly shows it beats the S800...

Edit: CPU performance as noted by Anandtech: http://anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

But if it shows you that the GPU is good and browser speed, then that must mean the CPU is good too. Didn't that one with GB integer and stuff like that refer to CPU-side? If so, then it clearly shows it beats the S800...

Edit: CPU performance as noted by Anandtech: http://anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/5

All of those benchmarks are browser based. The problem with browser based benchmarks are that too many variables changes. I mean, if you were planning on comparing let's say an Intel CPU and an AMD CPU you would run both tests in the same browser and in the same OS, right? For example both tests in Google Chrome in Windows 7.

With these browser benchmarks it's more like going "alright I am going to test which one is the fastest!" and then put the AMD chip in an Ubuntu machine and run the test in Firefox, and then put the Intel chip in a Windows XP machine and run the test in Internet Explorer. Too many variables changes for it to be an accurate representation. Anandtech uses Chrome for their Android tests as well, which means some of the optimizations made in the stock browser gets lost. It's very easy to get better scores than Anand does by simply changing to a different browser. A lot of these benchmarks has also turned into a "let's see who can optimize their browser the best for this particular test" contest as well, and therefore doesn't really represent anything (most noticeably SunSpider).

I talked to Brian about their CPU benchmarks and said that i think they are bad and his response was basically "yes it's pretty bad but it's the best we got".

The A7 is really really good for being a dual core, but a quad core Krait 400 has much more potential (most of which is usually not used though).

I have no idea what kind of test the "GB integer" score comes from so I can't really tell. I'll look into it.

All of those benchmarks are browser based. The problem with browser based benchmarks are that too many variables changes. I mean, if you were planning on comparing let's say an Intel CPU and an AMD CPU you would run both tests in the same browser and in the same OS, right? For example both tests in Google Chrome in Windows 7.

With these browser benchmarks it's more like going "alright I am going to test which one is the fastest!" and then put the AMD chip in an Ubuntu machine and run the test in Firefox, and then put the Intel chip in a Windows XP machine and run the test in Internet Explorer. Too many variables changes for it to be an accurate representation. Anandtech uses Chrome for their Android tests as well, which means some of the optimizations made in the stock browser gets lost. It's very easy to get better scores than Anand does by simply changing to a different browser. A lot of these benchmarks has also turned into a "let's see who can optimize their browser the best for this particular test" contest as well, and therefore doesn't really represent anything (most noticeably SunSpider).

I talked to Brian about their CPU benchmarks and said that i think they are bad and his response was basically "yes it's pretty bad but it's the best we got".

The A7 is really really good for being a dual core, but a quad core Krait 400 has much more potential (most of which is usually not used though).

I have no idea what kind of test the "GB integer" score comes from so I can't really tell. I'll look into it.

Ah right I see. But in any case, the A7 is no slouch as is the S800. All the benchmarks I've seen show that the A7 is a powerhouse, but ok I see your point. Let's stay happy. 

Thank you for assuming you know what I think.

I assure you, deep down I know you're a little off your rocker

Upgrades are good. Calling incremental upgrades important game changers is silly, just look at Nvidias most recent patch.

These apple upgrades are a good thing, though I wouldn't call them important.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Please just go enjoy your apple pruducts,,, to bad a im not a kid to give you a kid answer,,,if have the extra money to pay for a very high price piece of plastic with speakers please dont let me stop you...

THanks

Hahah what a classic response. Uhh. wait... No comeback. Stay hidden in your hole little kid and don't come out. I like my METAL iPad with stereo speakers. It's not expensive at all.

I suggest you stay shut up kid or you'll do even more damage  :huh:

Hahah what a classic response. Uhh. wait... No comeback. Stay hidden in your hole little kid and don't come out. I like my METAL iPad with stereo speakers. It's not expensive at all.

I suggest you stay shut up kid or you'll do even more damage  :huh:

Its funny cause he goes on about Apple products being overpriced and not offering much more, yet he is a Asus ROG fanboy...

Hmm.

I smell all the hypocrisies. 

So my A7 retina iPad Mini is fashion now is it? 

Yes, you inadvertently admitted it yourself:

Name me just ONE Android tablet that even comes CLOSE to the elegance of an iPad. 

Notice how you didn't mention specs, usability, practicality, software available, etc. All of which are superior in the ipad but no, you had to make your entire stupid fucking point with elegance.

That is how apple sells products, yes there is actual engineering that (sometimes is) a true advancement or useful but that's not how they sell it. They only need horse power to sell it as "elegant" if they could get away with an "elegant" tablet with crap internal specs they would.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I did only list iOS devices. You have to be short bus special not to be able to figure out an iOS device.

I have messed with OS X all of about 20 minutes now on my OSX VM I made and I cant say it has been overly complicated. But I guess my years of experience with GNOME has made OSX pretty easy.

I need a shower now. I feel dirty defending Apple.

No but it is so simple that it is hard for someone like me to get my head around the OS. I am used to using the CMD for most stuff and searching or just knowing where every single thing is. MAC OS is too simple for me and my parents which is why it's utter crap.

Do we have a special place in the forum where we can yell at apple? i hate apple as much as you do LOL, if there is not we should have a whole site of this forum dedicated to apple haters LOL,,, im the kind of guy that will accept anything but coming from apple, touching it makes my hands hurt and my brain explodes...but yet people still spend 3000 in an Apple wasting their money and their lifes along with it... cant seem to understand...

Apple should die, 100% with you as well as Justin Beaver :D

I think every post should be an apple hate post. But that is just me.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Yes, you inadvertently admitted it yourself:

Notice how you didn't mention specs, usability, practicality, software available, etc. All of which are superior in the ipad but no, you had to make your entire stupid fucking point with elegance.

That is how apple sells products, yes there is actual engineering that (sometimes is) a true advancement or useful but that's not how they sell it. They only need horse power to sell it as "elegant" if they could get away with an "elegant" tablet with crap internal specs they would.

There's nothing crap about the specs, the A7 chip is powerful. I didn't mention software practicality because I know that Android beats iOS at that. By elegance I mean the design of the product, as well as how good the product performs in simplicity.

Insignificant? It depends on what you are upgrading from. I might be insignificant for most people who uses the current gen, but go back more than 1 generation and the improvements becomes quite big.

Irrelevant: The current product does not disappears and can still be manufactured.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No but it is so simple that it is hard for someone like me to get my head around the OS. I am used to using the CMD for most stuff and searching or just knowing where every single thing is. MAC OS is too simple for me and my parents which is why it's utter crap.

Pretty sure OS X comes with bash preinstalled. I don't really get the whole "OS X is limited/simple/locked down" argument because it's not true. If you scratch away Aqua and the proprietary APIs you basically end up with FreeBSD.

Irrelevant: The current product does not disappears and can still be manufactured.

Yes, and? Why not take improvements if you can? Why would you want to buy an inferior product?

I can't believe I am actually having to argue that we should keep trying to make technology better, on a technology forum.

I own ipad 3. Which is what, 3 gen behind? Im still not convinced though. Come on Apple

Yes, and? Why not take improvements if you can? Why would you want to buy an inferior product?.

Because the current one it's not an inferior fucking product! The current product it's fine, it does fine for everything you want it to do, there is literally no need for any of this upgrades. I seriously doubt you're this fucking dense and can't wrap your head around forced obsolescence as a concept: a minimal incremental upgrade is done only to dupe morons who love apple to upgrade their perfectly usable and still damn good product for no good reason other than to get more money out of them.

Is there any significant games that run like crap on the current tab? Any applications that make you go "ew this is making me fucking throw up I need better performance" Is the battery life improved? Is somebody really taking serious pictures with their tablet camera than they needed a next-to-nothing upgrade on it? This is exactly why people usually hate it when Nvidia and AMD rebrand an old product, make minute and insignificant changes like a slightly different PBC reference that adds nothing to performance and sell it at an increased price pissing people the fuck off since they know better. 

Most people don't know better but if the current products were available they wouldn't complain.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I own ipad 3. Which is what, 3 gen behind? Im still not convinced though. Come on Apple

For me the weight and new design alone make it worthwhile to upgrade, from an iPad 3 of course. Also the much better processor and free iWork suite with a new iPad. Any higher and it's not worth it.

Because the current one it's not an inferior fucking product! The current product it's fine, it does fine for everything you want it to do, there is literally no need for any of this upgrades. I seriously doubt you're this fucking dense and can't wrap your head around forced obsolescence as a concept: a minimal incremental upgrade is done only to dupe morons who love apple to upgrade their perfectly usable and still damn good product for no good reason other than to get more money out of them.

Is there any significant games that run like crap on the current tab? Any applications that make you go "ew this is making me fucking throw up I need better performance" Is the battery life improved? Is somebody really taking serious pictures with their tablet camera than they needed a next-to-nothing upgrade on it? This is exactly why people usually hate it when Nvidia and AMD rebrand an old product, make minute and insignificant changes like a slightly different PBC reference that adds nothing to performance and sell it at an increased price pissing people the fuck off since they know better.

Most people don't know better but if the current products were available they wouldn't complain.

A minimal upgrade is done so that new buyers can buy the latest gadget with the latest hardware + software loaded on it. They don't want to buy a 1 year old device.

I'm not exactly going to upgrade my iPad mini retina this year am I? It will last at least 3 years, and I intend to keep it that long. However phones advance more and an upgrade is worthwhile after every 2 years, so I'm going to upgrade my HTC One next year.

For me the weight and new design alone make it worthwhile to upgrade, from an iPad 3 of course. Also the much better processor and free iWork suite with a new iPad. Any higher and it's not worth it.

True, but if i were to concern weights, i rather go for ipad mini or any 7-8in tablets. And iWork, do people really do their documenting on their tablets? Even surface pro 2 was giving me hard time writing things correctly/faster.

Im a man with strong arms. ipad3 aint that heavy for me.

OS X is perfect when you actually use it with an open mind. I've used it for 7 years before switching to windows 7 last month and it's equally as powerful but more accessible for a novice.

Fractal core 1000 - Asus A88xm plus - Athlon 760k @4.3 GHz - MSI 270 oc - 4GB corsair vengeance low profile - WD green 1TB - 128GB Corsair Neutron - Corsair CS750