Microsoft details hidden feature in Windows 8.1 Update 1

GoodBytes

Microsoft has revealed a "hidden" feature in Windows 8.1 Update 1 which will allow the system to be installed on a system with 16GB SSD, and still have free space for your programs, reports Bit-tech.net

The feature is Windows Image Boot, or WIMBoot. It's a secondary method of installing Windows. Normally, Windows setup extracts the content of the installer into a directory on the drive of the system. WIMBoot, works differently. It sees an images being copied into a partition with symbolic links being created. So it gives the illusions that the files are there, in their respected folders within the system partition but they are not.

The advantage of the system, Microsoft says, is that the files remain compressed, but they are not enough compressed to cause performance drop of the system.

'Let’s assume the WIM file (INSTALL.WIM) is around 3GB and you are using a 16GB SSD,' explains Microsoft's Ben Hunter of the feature. 'In that configuration, you’ll still be left with over 12GB of free disk space (after subtracting out the size of the WIM and a little bit of additional “overhead”). And the same WIM file (which is read-only, never being changed in this process) can also be used as a recovery image, in case you want to reset the computer back to its original state.

'How does that compare to a non-WIMBoot configuration? Well, on that same 16GB system there might be only 7GB free after installing Windows – and then only if you don’t set up a separate recovery image.'

Here is a figure showing how it compares:

Normal Setup

IC714838.png

WIMBoot method:

IC714836.png

To learn more about it, and how to set it up:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594399.aspx

Source: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2014/04/11/wimboot/1

Image source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn594399.aspx

That is excellent to hear. Very happy about this. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

can some one explain this in layman's terms

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

They put an image of the OS on the disk in compressed form then put lots of pointers instead of files on the disk as well saying "Hey, what you want is located here: [insert path]." Rather than decompressing the entire image and just dumping it on the disk. It saves space and any new files that are edited or created aren't put in the image. They just stay on the drive, so you can flash back to the image if you want to for recovery purposes. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Whenever you boot Windows, it essentially boots it straight from a compressed disk image rather than each raw file. Sort of like booting from an ISO on the main hard drive. This saves on space as when you extract the content from the disk image as usual when you install Windows, it decompresses the image when it extracts it.

My Windows 8.1 install just decided to corrupt itself. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Let me try:

-> Normally Windows setup, takes the compressed file of the Windows disk, decompress them, and put it on your HDD or SSD. It also makes a recovery partition, so that you can re-install Windows within Windows (Windows 8 new feature), allowing to not require the disk if you do that.

-> Now, this new method being introduced, is: instead of extracting the setup files on the system. It makes "shortcuts", if you will, to all the files compressed in the setup. The results: the system, you, and your programs will all see that the files are there as normal, but in reality they are not. They are compressed in the setup image in the system. If you access any of them, it will use the compressed files of the setup directly.

Now, the compression of the files isn't high enough to cause the CPU to have to go through a process of decompression, causing performance degradation (this also has to do with the fast decompression optimization which Microsoft implemented in the technology). But, the compression is enough to make the files smaller (else it would defeat the purpose).

Whenever you boot Windows, it essentially boots it straight from a compressed disk image rather than each raw file. Sort of like booting from an ISO on the main hard drive. This saves on space as when you extract the content from the disk image as usual when you install Windows, it decompresses the image when it extracts it.

They put an image of the OS on the disk in compressed form then put lots of pointers instead of files on the disk as well saying "Hey, what you want is located here: [insert path]." Rather than decompressing the entire image and just dumping it on the disk. It saves space and any new files that are edited or created aren't put in the image. They just stay on the drive, so you can flash back to the image if you want to for recovery purposes. 

cheers big ears.

Let me try:

-> Normally Windows setup, takes the compressed file of the Windows disk, decompress them, and put it on your HDD or SSD. It also makes a recovery partition, so that you can re-install Windows within Windows (Windows 8 new feature), allowing to not require the disk if you do that. The idea of this new re-install features was to make it more convenient for the user by not requiring to do recovery disk, and hope to not lose them, or fight with the OEM for the OS disk, or require to pay and send the system pack to the OEM for them to re-image the system. Also, it allows you to re-install your Windows on the go. For example, you are doing a business trip, and you got a virus which infected your computer. A re-install is needed. Well with Win8, you can re-install Windows without affecting your personal files, and as for your Windows settings, they are carried over the cloud with OneDrive (aka: SkyDrive). So basically all you need to do, is re-install your desktop apps. Also, IT can change the recovery image to include company software setup properly.

-> Now, this new method being introduced, is instead of extracting the setup files on the system. It makes "shortcuts" if you will, to all the files compressed in the setup. So, the system, you, and your programs will all see that the files are there, but in reality they are not. If you access any of them, it will use the compressed files of the setup directly.

Now the compression of the files isn't high enough to cause the CPU to have to go through a process of decompression, causing performance degradation (this also has to do with the fast decompression optimization which Microsoft implemented in the technology). But, the compression is enough to make the files smaller (else it would defeat the purpose).

and then you come and steal the show

Let me try:

-> Normally Windows setup, takes the compressed file of the Windows disk, decompress them, and put it on your HDD or SSD. It also makes a recovery partition, so that you can re-install Windows within Windows (Windows 8 new feature), allowing to not require the disk if you do that.

-> Now, this new method being introduced, is: instead of extracting the setup files on the system. It makes "shortcuts", if you will, to all the files compressed in the setup. The results: the system, you, and your programs will all see that the files are there as normal, but in reality they are not. They are compressed in the setup image in the system. If you access any of them, it will use the compressed files of the setup directly.

Now, the compression of the files isn't high enough to cause the CPU to have to go through a process of decompression, causing performance degradation (this also has to do with the fast decompression optimization which Microsoft implemented in the technology). But, the compression is enough to make the files smaller (else it would defeat the purpose).

so the only advantage is more space ?

how much more ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I think it is using pointers...that is they point to other location where the data is actualy present...means if pointers are placed in ssd drive so they can point to any other sector to located and  read the data from decreasing the used space in ssd i think...may be... :P

Let me try:

The pointer system...is that right mate...?? :)

So Microsoft details hidden feature?  :lol:

Nah but seriously this is a good feature although I much rather now if they're going to play nice with other partitions.

-------

Current Rig

-------

so the only advantage is more space ?

how much more ?

Well it depends on the manufacture image of Windows. You know how manufactures loves substituting the price of the system (or maximize profits) by installing all those trial software that no one really wants (essentially putting demo software, a deal they do with software companies)

Normally, Windows 8.1 64-bit requires 20GB for itself. A problem if your device has only 32GB of storage space. As it only gives you about 12GB for your personal files, programs. And don't forget about having room for temp files for your programs to run, and so on.

Well here Microsoft suggests that if you have 16GB SSD, a storage amount much lower than the install size of Windows 8.1 Update, and have 'plenty' of free space for your personal files and programs. in the example they give is 12GB of free space. Meaning, they manage to have Windows on your system, consuming only 4GB instead of 20GB

THE POINTER SISTERS !!!!

Well, that's interesting. Might consider buying a smaller SSD and put the money I saved by doing that into my GPU.

My Windows 8.1 install just decided to corrupt itself. :(

Try doing the recovery stuff on the disk that keep your files bust reinstall everything else

Interesting but I don't really see a use for this myself. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

moar space for games, bro meat

Interesting but I don't really see a use for this myself. 

Well... at least you are not going to scratch your head how Windows 8.1 got installed on a 16GB SSD device, only consuming ~4GB, and not 20GB like in your system. :)

Well... at least you are not going to scratch your head how Windows 8.1 got installed on a 16GB SSD device, only consuming ~4GB, and not 20GB like in your system. :)

*shrugs* guess so... lol

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

And now I just have to see if installing it on a 4GB USB 3.0 flash drive will work. :D

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.